Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#133 2019-06-18 04:19:21

bici
Website Mastodon

Re: WebFaction joins GoDaddy

PS does anyone herein have any experience with using Adminer as an phpMyAdmin replacement

Last edited by bici (2019-06-18 04:20:24)

…. texted postive

#134 2019-06-18 07:12:02

jakob
Admin
Website

bici wrote #318519:

PS does anyone herein have any experience with using Adminer as an phpMyAdmin replacement

A while back, maniqui once set it up for pieman when we were doing work for him. It was compact, easy to install (one file essentially) and did the job but was a little no-frills. It is regularly updated.

If you have a host without phpmysql but that does allow remote mysql access, or mysql access via ssh (probably the case when phpmyadmin is not preinstalled), then you can use sequel pro on your mac to manage your sql databases. That is altogether nicer and doesn’t require you to have anything on the server.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#135 2019-06-18 18:15:04

bici
Website Mastodon

Thanks. But i am still not sure as to whether we need to install Admirer on our local desktop or whether it is available via a web interface on the hosting provider?

I am assuming that we use Sequel Pro to connect to the server to manage our sql DBs?

…. texted postive

#136 2019-06-18 19:20:12

jakob
Admin
Website

bici wrote #318528:

Thanks. But i am still not sure as to whether we need to install Admirer on our local desktop or whether it is available via a web interface on the hosting provider?

I am assuming that we use Sequel Pro to connect to the server to manage our sql DBs?

Apologies, I should have been clearer. Adminer and Sequel Pro both do the same thing: they administer MySQL databases. Your host already has to have a MySQL server installed and running. Without that, neither will work.

• Sequel Pro: runs on your mac.
    • You need to either have MySQL remote access. Check with your host. With the former, you sometimes need to activate it, or add your own computer’s IP number as a permitted remote access IP.
    • or be able to connect to your host’s database remotely via SSH. You’ll need to switch to the correct connection window in Sequel Pro and you may need to open port 3306 on your host’s firewall. Again, check with your host.
  • Adminer: installs on the same server as your databases (e.g. your host): Here are some instructions. You then call it up via your browser and enter your mySQL database details to access an admin area that is a bit like phpMyAdmin.

There’s nothing to stop you installing both, but you don’t need both.

If your host permits remote access / SSH access, you can simply use Sequel Pro on your mac and don’t need to install anything on the server.
If your host won’t let you connect remotely, adminer is a simple way to go as it is on the same server.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#137 2019-06-19 06:01:44

bici
Website Mastodon

jakob wrote #318529:

Apologies, I should have been clearer. Adminer and Sequel Pro both do the same thing: they administer MySQL databases. Your host already has to have a MySQL server installed and running. Without that, neither will work.

• Sequel Pro: runs on your mac.
    • You need to either have MySQL remote access. Check with your host. With the former, you sometimes need to activate it, or add your own computer’s IP number as a permitted remote access IP.
    • or be able to connect to your host’s database remotely via SSH. You’ll need to switch to the correct connection window in Sequel Pro and you may need to open port 3306 on your host’s firewall. Again, check with your host.
  • Adminer: installs on the same server as your databases (e.g. your host): Here are some instructions. You then call it up via your browser and enter your mySQL database details to access an admin area that is a bit like phpMyAdmin.

There’s nothing to stop you installing both, but you don’t need both.

If your host permits remote access / SSH access, you can simply use Sequel Pro on your mac and don’t need to install anything on the server.
If your host won’t let you connect remotely, adminer is a simple way to go as it is on the same server.

sounds doable… thanks

…. texted postive

#138 2019-10-05 00:09:14

bici
Website Mastodon

Opalstack is a very fine hosting service.

I have just installed my first TxP site there ; i migrated bopjet.com from a previous host.
I easily connected via Sequel Pro and imported my Db without an issue.

PS They just announced a new hosting plan:

The new Shared 512MB “Value Stack” costs $9.50/month or $95/year – here is a recap of the plan specs:

512MB of RAM for your processes and applications
50GB of fast SSD storage
500GB monthly bandwidth allowance
1GB of email storage with unlimited mailboxes

…. texted postive

#139 2019-11-29 00:24:38

bici
Website Mastodon

in case anyone is interested:

Opalstack Black Friday – Cyber Monday Sale

big fan of these guys!

…. texted postive

#140 2019-12-01 00:08:16

bici
Website Mastodon

so now Opalstack is offering Adminer as theuir web-based interface to MariaDBs.

Replace phpMyAdmin with Adminer and you will get a tidier user interface, better support for MySQL features, higher performance and more security.

Cool.

…. texted postive

#141 2019-12-01 05:34:14

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

bici wrote #320337:

so now Opalstack is offering Adminer as theuir web-based interface to MariaDBs.

that sounds like a good move. They have some good looking skins and it is more clear to use.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#142 2019-12-02 12:29:53

Destry
Website

‘Adminer’

I can’t look at that word and not hear ‘ad miner’ in my head. Terrible name.

#143 2019-12-02 16:48:07

bici
Website Mastodon

Destry wrote #320343:

‘Adminer’

I can’t look at that word and not hear ‘ad miner’ in my head. Terrible name.

it is an odd choice

…. texted postive

#144 2019-12-02 17:57:13

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

I assume they were going for “Admin” with “er” on the end.

But I think they should have done more Market Research.

Board footer