Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2019-02-05 03:54:16

craigbass76

New Theme Walkthrough

Is there a good one up anywhere? I’m trying to duplicate what I’ve got in Wordpress, and keep tripping on things. I’m so far finding the answers, but only after looking all over the place. It’d be nice if there was one big “This is basically what you need,” type of document/page. My current “newest draft” post in my Wordress site is such a walkthrough, but I didn’t know if there were already one out in the wild somewhere.

I’m not opposed to writing one up for the community either (I’m a tech writer by trade), but I’d just have to change some names to protect the innocent.

#2 2019-02-07 09:40:03

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Re: New Theme Walkthrough

We are definitely in need of some good theme building walkthroughs. The feature only really settled in v4.7 so there is not much historical info to build upon.

Our documentation site (powered by Github Pages) is collaborative so we can accept any help offered. I can make people collaborators on there if/when they ask.

#3 2019-11-20 12:41:54

Destry
Website

craigbass76 wrote #316470:

It’d be nice if there was one big “This is basically what you need,” type of document/page.

I’ve taken on the task of writing such a walk-through, in relation to some other themes-related material that needs revised in user docs.

I’d be happy to look at what you have written elsewhere, if you would provide a link, and see how it might inform the structure and scope of the tutorial.

Another tech writer involved in user docs from time to time would be a fine thing. (That’s part of my and Bloke’s backgrounds too, though I’m trying to keep clear of too much expository these days.)

I’m working on some long-missing collaboration procedures for docs development; ties into the project brand stuff overall. I’m sure there are some things we could talk about in context of the docs team, but you’ll have to raise a hand here first if you want in on that. No major commitments, just a casual eye on discussions and then let inspiration steer you.

Last edited by Destry (2019-11-20 22:52:16)

#4 2019-11-20 22:22:29

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Destry wrote #320142:

[…] could talk about in context of the docs team […]

Just a FWIW – that link leads to a 404 page (after being forced to log in to GitHub). Is that only accessible to a selected few? If so, it is pretty useless to mention it in a public discussion.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#5 2019-11-20 22:52:56

Destry
Website

Sorry for the dead-end and waste of time. That is a fact I overlooked. Previous post edited.

#6 2019-11-20 23:11:26

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

@Destry – as you seem to be asking for good intro type tutorials:

In the process of bumping into the 404 I mentioned above, I was served a big announcement at the top of GH pages that directed me to this tutorial which I found to be a good introduction to Git (and GH). Doesn’t make me feel using it but that is something for another discussion.

#7 2019-11-20 23:20:12

Destry
Website

phiw13 wrote #320158:

. . . as you seem to be asking for good intro type tutorials

Yeah, GH is pushing a lot of those headers lately. I’ve had to dismiss several about a dozen times now.

I guess you’re mentioning that doc because of its nice design? Yeah, I’m just the writer/editor, thank goodness. Design is bottlenecked at Phils end.

I don’t know where things stand on using screenshots. I seem to recall that was nixed early in the new platforms creation because near 100% of the screenshots we added to the wiki were way outdated. It’s a big overhead problem when there’s only a couple of skeletons on duty semi-part-time.

Anyway, I was asking about the the thing from Craig because of what he might have said on the subject, not because I needed design tips.

#8 2019-11-20 23:29:04

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

No, not the design, the narrative or story itself.

Screenshots can be useful of course, the UI of TXP tend to be pretty stable, theme aside.

Edit – spell and grammar check – blame ice-cold fingers

Last edited by phiw13 (2019-11-20 23:45:04)

#9 2019-11-20 23:37:22

Destry
Website

Haha. Noted! Lots of headed steps and lists. ;)

I’m sure Macrohard has a sizeable team of writers and editors on GitHub at this point.

#10 2019-11-25 10:48:29

Destry
Website

And there’s always this, so if any of you who have built a theme already and can help Jakob out on a multi-part series for Txp Tips, that would be decent and cool.

Board footer