Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2017-06-27 09:58:26

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Plugins - Composer support

As part of our rethink on how plugins should be listed, maintained, installed – currently overseen by the old textpattern.org site but long overdue for a better method – I’d like to propose that plugin authors start bringing Composer support into their plugins. I’ve just done so for etc_pagination and it’s a fairly straightforward process. Of course the current method of pasting plugin code into the CMS is fine too and can continue, but Composer offers so much more on top of that:

• Version tracking via Packagist.
  • Simple plugin installation via command line, or dropping flat files into a vendor directory.
  • Simple updates, again via command line or flat files.
  • An API we can use on a replacement for textpattern.org.

If anyone wants help with Composer support, and have their plugins on either GitHub (preferred) or Bitbucket then I can probably help with a pull request to set this up (time allowing).

#2 2018-08-21 11:13:55

NicolasGraph
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Plugins - Composer support

Hi,
who is allowed to acceed to the textpattern related packagist account?
Phil and I asked for Jukka to release a new textpattern/lock version, but he is not that available for a while now.
I guess the core team could fork Jukka’s repo, release new versions and update the repo URL in packagist, couldn’t it?

Last edited by NicolasGraph (2018-08-22 06:48:35)

Nicolas
Follow me on Twitter and GitHub!
Multiple edits are usually to correct my frenglish…

#3 2018-08-21 12:34:15

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

I have access to the Textpattern Packagist account. I did raise an issue in Textpattern-lock repo but we could certainly fork as that didn’t get a response.

#4 2018-09-17 07:20:53

NicolasGraph
Plugin Author
Website

Hi,
Any news about forking textpattern/lock ?

It would be really nice if the installer / lock couple would be officially supported and maintained.
As a plugin author, I’m not sure for now if I could/should document the install via Composer because of the lacking support of lock for Txp 4.7 .

While it is a different topic, I would also like to see MassPlugCompiler promoted; it makes plugin developpement and compilation really handy by allowing to have different source files.

Nicolas

#5 2018-09-17 07:30:50

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Can you raise an issue on Textpattern main repo please and I’ll fork that to our project. I’m away this week so can do next Monday (or another team member might do for you).

#6 2018-09-17 08:07:29

NicolasGraph
Plugin Author
Website

philwareham wrote #314075:

Can you raise an issue on Textpattern main repo please and I’ll fork that to our project. I’m away this week so can do next Monday (or another team member might do for you).

Done; thanks for attention Phil.

Nicolas

#7 2019-10-13 00:48:56

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

To borrow this thread, since not everyone uses Composer to install plugins, I scrapped together a quick and dirty GitHub Action that can build any GitHub plugin source repository into plugin installer file without any extra work or having to maintain CI/build server.

To make things as easy as possible, the developer would just need to add a workflow to their source repository, and installers just not-so-magically appear in their GitHub releases or build artifacts.

Hope someone finds that useful and makes their live bit easier.

Last edited by Gocom (2019-10-13 00:50:49)

#8 2019-10-13 10:15:39

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Magic, thanks! We are considering a possibility to upload/install multi-component plugins via compressed (zip atm) archives as described here. An action for this would be helpful too.

Board footer