Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2019-10-02 14:58:03

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: Lack of global theme association vs all other sections on logout

Bloke wrote #319497:

I’m genuinely curious: what’s the difference between a profile and a theme? And what features does this additional layer bring us?

The main difference (imo) is that a profile can mix multiple themes (one per section), so switching is easier. Suppose that we have two concurrent setups:

A:
    Section 1 -> Theme 1 -> Page 1
    Section 2 -> Theme 2 -> Page 1
B:
    Section 1 -> Theme 2 -> Page 2
    Section 2 -> Theme 1 -> Page 1

Currently you need either two multi-edit actions to switch from A to B or two new themes combining Theme 1 and Theme 2 parts. Now, if we stored these setups as profiles (without duplicating themes data, of course), the switch would be a breeze.

#26 2019-10-02 15:00:02

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

etc wrote #319498:

The main difference (imo) is that a profile can mix multiple themes (one per section), so switching is easier.

Good point. Like it.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#27 2019-10-02 15:08:43

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

If themes were global (not per section) then there would be no need for profiles. Easier to handle, but less flexible and too late anyway.

#28 2019-10-02 15:15:38

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Public profiles could even be made selectable via URL, which is nice for a themes site – no need to create a section per theme for showcase.

#29 2019-10-02 15:23:25

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

etc wrote #319500:

If themes were global (not per section) then there would be no need for profiles. Easier to handle, but less flexible and too late anyway.

I like being able to set a Theme per Section but, yeah, you could already sort of do that by using a different Page/Style template and being very careful with your Forms. Themes just allow people to bundle that up and apply it across multiple Sections more easily with less fear of breakage, and share them. Plus all the workflow benefits we’re (you’re!) building.

So how do you see the workflow of this profile mechanism being realised? Conscious of not trying to drown users in nomenclature. Especially given that we’re going to be thinking about how to expand themes to include prefs and plugins and (perhaps) content, etc at some point.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#30 2019-10-02 15:23:56

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

etc wrote #319501:

Public profiles could even be made selectable via URL, which is nice for a themes site – no need to create a section per theme for showcase.

Oooh, now this I like.

#31 2019-10-02 15:47:42

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Bloke wrote #319502:

So how do you see the workflow of this profile mechanism being realised? Conscious of not trying to drown users in nomenclature. Especially given that we’re going to be thinking about how to expand themes to include prefs and plugins and (perhaps) content, etc at some point.

I can’t foresee any serious obstacle for profiles implementation – they are just stored sections/themes associations. Of course, the usual clean-up on section modification is needed, but that seems doable. UX is less clear, but separating profiles from sections tab might even improve it.

#32 2019-10-02 15:53:03

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Bloke wrote #319502:

I like being able to set a Theme per Section

Me too, especially with potentially per section upcoming custom fields. BTW, the branch is up-to-date with dev, shouldn’t we make a point soon?

#33 2019-10-03 10:32:16

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

etc wrote #319507:

BTW, the branch is up-to-date with dev, shouldn’t we make a point soon?

Yes. Just concerned about the lack of public tag support for the new tables and I think <txp:article_custom> needs retrofitting properly.

And we need to decide about the ability to have custom field posted/expiry. It is a hassle from a UI perspective – and, to a degree, programmatically – it’s just a case of whether we think it’s worth keeping that notion or letting fields be forever persistent and therefore unable to be phased out (only deleted, losing all data they held).

#34 2019-10-03 12:39:38

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Bloke wrote #319511:

Yes. Just concerned about the lack of public tag support for the new tables and I think <txp:article_custom> needs retrofitting properly.

Yes, there is still much work on cf, though it’s taking shape. But I’m wondering about the current dev branch purpose: will it surely become 4.7.4 one day or just in case some nasty bug is discovered in 4.7.3? Should we add new features there or to cf branch? Can we use php 5.5+ features (native hash, array_column() etc) in dev, which means it would rather become 4.8?

To complicate things, we also have 4.7.4 branch, which must be fairly out of sync with dev now.

#35 2019-10-03 12:53:04

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

etc wrote #319513:

To complicate things, we also have 4.7.4 branch, which must be fairly out of sync with dev now.

I think we abandoned the notion of 4.7.4 in favour of a shorter 4.8.0 release cycle with maybe a lesser feature set, pushing the big stuff like custom fields to 4.9.0. I’d like to put the new UI library in 4.8.0 so people can start to use it. Whether we actually use it in core from the get-go is something we can decide.

But we’ll need to release something fairly soon – perhaps when PHP 7.4 is out – to counter the issues with PHP compatibility like the mcrypt_create_iv thing. And we need to decide what the hell to do with passwords in both Txp (migrating to native PHP from PHPass) and how to handle the lack of PASSWORD() in MySQL 8.0. They’re both priorities to fix in the next release, imo.

#36 2019-10-03 13:26:31

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Bloke wrote #319516:

I think we abandoned the notion of 4.7.4 in favour of a shorter 4.8.0 release cycle…

But we’ll need to release something fairly soon – perhaps when PHP 7.4 is out – to counter the issues with PHP compatibility like the mcrypt_create_iv thing. And we need to decide what the hell to do with passwords in both Txp (migrating to native PHP from PHPass) and how to handle the lack of PASSWORD() in MySQL 8.0. They’re both priorities to fix in the next release, imo.

ok, then we can go with php 5.5, fine!

Board footer