Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2019-09-08 10:00:44

mikulas

How to display images of range ids

Hi. Is there any possibility to display range of images using tag <txp:images /> and attribute id? I mean something like <txp:images id='<txp:custom_field name="image-ids" />' /> and in custom_filed is for example 235 - 296.
I use jbx_multiple_image_upload plugin for uploading images, which can create a new category for uploaded images. This plugin uses Adobe Flash and its support is expected to end soon.

Last edited by mikulas (2019-09-08 10:03:27)

#2 2019-09-08 15:47:03

jakob
Admin
Website

Re: How to display images of range ids

According to the docs for txp:images that’s not possible but you could do it with the help of rah_repeat and a tag-in-tag(-in-tag) solution.

rah_repeat does have a range attribute. The standard setup uses a comma between the from and to ids but you can use the delimiter="-" attribute to change that.

So this:

<txp:rah_repeat range='<txp:custom_field name="image-ids" />' delimiter="-" break=","><txp:rah_repeat_value /></txp:rah_repeat>

should give you 235, 236, 237 … 294,295,296 and you can use that as a value for txp:images. Either you do a big tag-in-tag-in-tag construction like this:

<txp:images id='<txp:rah_repeat range=''<txp:custom_field name="image-ids" />'' delimiter="-" break=","><txp:rah_repeat_value /></txp:rah_repeat>'>
    … your image code …
</txp:images>

(Note the double single quotes for range above).

Or you do it in two stages:

<txp:variable name="img_list" escape="trim">
    <txp:rah_repeat range='<txp:custom_field name="image-ids" />' delimiter="-" break=","><txp:rah_repeat_value /></txp:rah_repeat>
</txp:variable>
<txp:images id='<txp:variable name="img_list" />'>
    … your image code …
</txp:images>

Both should get you the results you want.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#3 2019-09-08 21:13:12

mikulas

Great! It works. Thank you very much.

Only note:

The standard setup uses a comma between the from and to ids but you can use the delimiter="-" attribute to change that.

I must use a comma between the from and to ids otherwise the result is empty.

#4 2019-09-08 21:46:22

jakob
Admin
Website

mikulas wrote #319242:

I must use a comma between the from and to ids otherwise the result is empty.

Hmm, maybe delimiter only works in combination with the value attribute and not with range?

Glad you got it working!

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#5 2019-09-09 11:01:30

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Actually id ranges is a useful feature. Worths incorporating into core?

#6 2019-09-09 11:16:56

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

etc wrote #319244:

Actually id ranges is a useful feature. Worths incorporating into core?

Yes. If only to help with large image galleries saving space in the (limited) fields. Can we permit multiples:

42, 25-31, 11, 61-64

to include 42, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 11, 61, 62, 63, 64 in that order.

Question remains what to do with duplicates. How do we handle them now, I can’t recall? e.g. if 41-43 was also in the above, is ID 42 included twice; once at the start and once in the 41, 42, 43 set?

My gut says permit duplicates, because you may be using the field as a gallery where the first image in the list is used as the ‘cover’ (main) image in the article list (via limit="1"), but you may want to also include the same pic later (e.g. once you view the individual article) where you skip over the cover image via offset="1" and show the remaining IDs in a gallery that may also include the same pic used as the cover. e.g. 42, 38-45.

But if that seems too confusing then we can do_unique() them if the order remains intact. I’m easy either way, as long as we retain b/w compatibility.

EDIT: anywhere else ID ranges make sense? <txp:article_custom> or <txp:file_download_list> for example? Anywhere they don’t make sense?

Last edited by Bloke (2019-09-09 11:19:49)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#7 2019-09-09 12:03:07

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

We could do it via a new <txp:list /> tag, though modifying existing id attributes makes sense too. For bwc-sake, <txp:images id="40, 38-40" /> would act as <txp:images id="40,38,39" /> (unique ids), but <txp:list items="40, 38-40" /> would output 40,38,39,40 (by default).

#8 2019-09-09 12:25:42

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Please test it in dev branch. Currently available in id attribute of article_custom, file_download_list, images and linklist tags.

#9 2019-09-09 12:33:10

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

I like those ideas. I could have sworn we currently allow duplicates, but you’re right, they’re unique now – whether used in the tag implicitly, or if read from the Article Image field. That’s cool. I’m probably getting mixed up with smd_gallery which does permit duplicate ID behaviour, iirc.

A new tag to generate lists would be handy for tag-in-tag goodness. Is <txp:list> too generic/confusing, given we have linklist, file_download_list, category_list and section_list tags? To me, <txp:list> seems like it should have a type attribute to determine which type of list you want from the above! But maybe that’s just me.

Alternatives:

• <txp:range>
  • <txp:set> (although that might be confused with get/set)
  • <txp:series>
  • <txp:id_list> (if it’s only going to be for generating numeric lists, and not (in future) for shortcuts like months of the year or days of the week, etc)

Shame that a new tag like you propose couldn’t give us the ability to process in-order lists and ranges with duplicates, from custom fields or the article_image field itself:

<txp:images id='<txp:list items=''<txp:custom_field name="article_image" />'' />' />

Slightly verbose! :) But as it stands, the list would still be made unique by the ‘id’ attribute.

Maybe allowing duplicates isn’t something we should worry about? Although I can see applications, if plugging the output of <txp:list> into an id attribute of any of our current tags is going to render its dupe-ability useless, there’s not much point incorporating the feature, is there? Aside from its use in plugins that do support this, I guess. Hmmmm.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#10 2019-09-09 12:44:14

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Bloke wrote #319248:

A new tag to generate lists would be handy for tag-in-tag goodness. Is <txp:list> too generic/confusing, given we have linklist, file_download_list, category_list and section_list tags? To me, <txp:list> seems like it should have a type attribute to determine which type of list you want from the above! But maybe that’s just me.

I thought that could be a general-purpose tag, letting you (jointly with some <txp:item /> tag) split plain strings:

<txp:list items="I like dogs. I hate cats." separator="." break="br" wraptag="p">
    <txp:item />!
</txp:list>

would output

<p>
I like dogs!
<br />
I hate cats!
</p>

Shame that a new tag like you propose couldn’t give us the ability to process in-order lists and ranges with duplicates, from custom fields or the article_image field itself.

We could, though laboriously:

<txp:list items=2, 1-3" separator="," range="-">
    <txp:image id='<txp:item />' />
</txp:list>

#11 2019-09-09 12:50:34

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Would it not be more logical if we just had what etc mentioned? ie <txp:images id="40, 38-40" />. My only problem is that when I see 38-40, I would expect the range to be inclusive. That is ids 38,39,40. When kids are asked to count from 1-10 for example, they are expected to include 10.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#12 2019-09-09 12:59:05

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

colak wrote #319250:

My only problem is that when I see 38-40, I would expect the range to be inclusive. That is ids 38,39,40.

That’s fine, 38-40 means 38,39,40. But 40, 38-40 means 40,38,39 because the last 40 is removed as duplicate of the first one.

Board footer