Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#541 2019-08-01 14:10:27

uli

Re: Txp cookies, visitor logging, and GDPR stuff in general

I was wrong re device/day, I first saw it two days before on a desktop Mac, while yesterday I was only calling the page from my Android phone. But here’s the difference between the two in one picture:

I once received an email with a thumb up emoji, and on my device, in my font size, it looked like a yellow pile of dog poo to me. Ever since I hesitate to accept the emotion from an emoji.

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#542 2019-08-01 15:09:07

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

phiw13 wrote #318906:

Uh ? and sorry, collateral damage is definitely not intended.

No damage, certainly no apology – I’m in the trough of a functional depression episode and getting buried in work. You essentially managed to put four words together in the right order that hit the proverbial nail right on the head and provided some much-needed clarity. So, thank you — genuinely.

#543 2019-08-01 21:54:48

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

uli wrote #318930:

I was wrong re device/day, I first saw it two days before on a desktop Mac, while yesterday I was only calling the page from my Android phone. But here’s the difference between the two in one picture:

oh, the android one looks definitely less bad, in this case.

The original emoji, as used on the Japanese 携帯電話 (the original flip phones™), where lovely pixel art. Since then, no so much anymore. Silicon Valley put their grubby hands on and not much is left. It is a total failure as a communication tool, in my book.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#544 2019-08-01 21:57:44

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

gaekwad wrote #318931:

No damage, certainly no apology – I’m in the trough of a functional depression episode and getting buried in work. You essentially managed to put four words together in the right order that hit the proverbial nail right on the head and provided some much-needed clarity. So, thank you — genuinely.

:-(. がんばって.

If it helps, it is 7AM, the sun is already warm and the insects are singing (mii miii miiiii). looks like a nice summer day. enjoy.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#545 2019-08-02 07:37:03

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

phiw13 wrote #318933:

:-(. がんばって.

If it helps, it is 7AM, the sun is already warm and the insects are singing (mii miii miiiii). looks like a nice summer day. enjoy.

Thank you. Sending warm wishes from the UK, Philippe-san.

#546 2019-08-06 15:33:24

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Saw this on Hackers News:

Social Share Privacy is a jQuery plugin that lets you add social share buttons to your website that don’t allow the social sites to track your users. The buttons are first disabled and a user needs to click them to enable them. So in order to e.g. like a site on facebook with these social share buttons a user needs to click two times. But in return for this extra click a user can only be tracked by this third party sites when he decides to enable the buttons. Using the settings menu a user can also permanently enable a social share button.

#547 2019-08-06 16:11:15

bici
Website Mastodon

i am awaiting an Anti Social Button.

These buttons will pretend to do something, but actually sends all clicks to hades.

…. texted postive

#548 2019-08-06 16:12:37

bici
Website Mastodon

ps

SNGoogle is having another go at killing off the displaying of https and www in the URL bar of upcoming versions of Chrome, despite protests from users.

…. texted postive

#549 2019-08-06 21:20:27

jakob
Admin
Website

In reply to michaelkpate #318973:

Social share privacy jquery plugin … a user needs to click two times

Yes, that’s what the same publishers as Shariff used to have previously. With the jQuery plugin, the user must first click to permit the social media site access. Shariff instead prefetches the data and then includes it without exposing the visitor until they decide to actively visit the social media site.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#550 2019-12-09 15:28:52

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Many Internet users have no idea that records of their actions are being collected and used. They might find out about these practices only if they read the fine print of Web site privacy policies. But AOL’s release of search data has already led some privacy advocates and legislators to call for new limits on how Web sites and advertisers keep and use information about online behavior. – Marketers Trace Paths Users Leave on Internet

The European Commission has sent detailed questionnaires to news publishers as it tries to understand whether the way Google collects data from their websites allows it to stifle competition in online advertising. The questionnaire, seen by the Financial Times, asks news publishers to explain how Google tracks user activity and browsing data from their sites in order to subsequently personalise adverts. – Brussels asks news groups to describe their data deals with Google

#551 2020-04-27 12:30:14

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Europe’s rules have been a victim of a lack of enforcement, poor funding, limited staff resources and stalling tactics by the tech companies, according to budget and staffing figures and interviews with government officials. Even some of the law’s biggest supporters are frustrated with how it has worked. – Europe’s Privacy Law Hasn’t Shown Its Teeth, Frustrating Advocates

It will be interesting seeing how Google, Apple et al are regulated under GDPR while they are supplying the information for Contact Tracing.

Germany’s reversal brings it into line with a proposal by Apple and Google, who said this month they would develop new tools to support decentralised contact tracing. In Europe, France and Britain still back centralisation. Centralised apps would not work properly on Apple’s iPhone because, for Bluetooth exchanges to happen, the device would need to be unlocked with the app running in the foreground – a drain on the battery and an inconvenience to the user. – Germany flips to Apple-Google approach on smartphone contact tracing

#552 2020-04-27 13:06:13

jakob
Admin
Website

michaelkpate wrote #322720:

It will be interesting seeing how Google, Apple et al are regulated under GDPR while they are supplying the information for Contact Tracing.

The local reporting has been that data protection agencies and advocates (chaos computer club etc.) see apple + google’s method as being preferable as it doesn’t provide governments with data. The initial app proposal would have availed the government with data on people and movement patterns, but was hampered additionally by the problem that the app had to be on and in the foreground to work.

Presumably, though, there’ll still be some statistical data and people who have (had) coronavirus would have to register / signal that in some way, and there must be a tracing algorithm to identify patterns of exposure / chains of infection. I haven’t read up in any detail on the data that will be stored and how.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

Board footer