Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2019-07-25 21:30:43

Bloke
Developer
Website

Documentation: overview/orientation

[ split discussion from here ]

That’s a great article, bici. Marie’s a fab writer.

Since it’s not available any more, we should probably harvest that content, update it and use it as our ‘overview/orientation’ guide on the docs site. I kinda miss our orientation guide… at least, if it’s still there I can’t find it.

I’m sure Marie wouldn’t mind but if anyone’s in touch with her (Destry?) then please holler. It’d be polite to ask her if we can reuse her content for official purposes.

Last edited by Bloke (2019-07-26 08:34:40)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#2 2019-07-25 21:36:11

bici
Website

Re: Documentation: overview/orientation

Bloke wrote #318862:

I’m sure Marie wouldn’t mind but if anyone’s in touch with her (Destry?) then please holler. It’d be polite to ask her if we can reuse her content for official purposes.

Yep!
I’ll ask her as i communicated with her last year, about another matter

…. texted postive

#3 2019-07-26 00:05:17

bici
Website

Bloke wrote #318862:

Since it’s not available any more, we should probably harvest that content, update it and use it as our ‘overview/orientation’ guide on the docs site. I kinda miss our orientation guide… at least, if it’s still there I can’t find it.

she is happy to have us harvest and archive her article.
she said: “Haha no objections!!”

…. texted postive

#4 2019-07-26 09:08:19

Bloke
Developer
Website

bici wrote #318864:

she said: “Haha no objections!!”

Awesome, thank you.

I’ve since found a worked example and the semantic model overview down in the FAQ section (not in the Administration area where I was looking). Knew we had them somewhere. Both are in need of updating and possibly making more prominent.

I think a dedicated worked example for a portfolio site is great; something like Marie’s article (updated for today’s Txp). Separating some of the introduction stuff would work, too. I can see a need for a “Why Textpattern?” page. Just a short piece outlining what makes us different, taken from Marie’s article with some bullet pointy stuff folded in. That’s good for search engine fodder too.

You know what I also think would be great? An infographic of the Textpattern Semantic Model. Something that walks people through Sections as containers for Articles, each of which may share Pages and Styles. Pages can morph into a bit about Forms, which can lead into a segment on Tags as placeholders for dynamic content, possibly with a nod to Context and the way it is tied to the URL.

Finally, cutting across all this, are Themes being a bundle of Pages/Forms/Styles, and Categories that act as (currently limited) tagging to help visitors find related stuff across any Section. If we’re careful with the wording here and don’t mention the ‘maximum of two for articles and one for other content types’ limitation, when we get some form of unlimited cats/tagging in place the graphic might not need much updating.

I know we’ve tried to represent it as a single image before and got bogged down as it’s so complicated to demonstrate. That’s why a “moving” infographic is better, because it can show the relationships as you move through the hierarchy instead of trying to squeeze it into one area of the page.

I can maybe scribble some ideas down today, then perhaps we can iterate from there to make it better. I’ll also take some of the stuff from Marie’s article and make some skeleton docs on GitHub that we can populate and publish.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

Board footer