Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2019-07-02 12:24:09

towndock
Website

Image editing in 4.7x

What is the latest go-to way to edit images in Textpattern 4.7x? I’m looking for something similar to ebl_image_edit, which doesn’t appear to have worked since 4.6x.

#2 2019-07-02 14:49:36

jakob
Admin
Website

Re: Image editing in 4.7x

Maybe Kuopassa’s Aviary Image Editor – Petri (Kuopassa) wrote it wasn’t working on his plugins page but JduPont seemed to suggest it can be made to work. How up to date that is I don’t know.

Please report back if you get something working as I’d be interested to know how you get on…

EDIT: hmm, maybe not as it seems Adobe have signalled the end of life for Aviary: https://helpx.adobe.com/mobile-apps/help/aviary-faq.html.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#3 2019-07-03 13:58:30

towndock
Website

The lack of a plugin to resize images is keeping many of my sites on TXP 4.5.7. On static sites no problem – I do the photo resizing myself with photoshop. But I have many customer sites where they upload images (real estate, retailers, yacht brokers) themselves. They don’t use image apps – they often are simply using a phone. Having Textpattern be able to easily resize photos is key.

Re Aviary – it appears Adobe acquired Aviary – apparently to shut it down.

ebl_image_edit uses jcrop (jquery based image cropping.) It works beautifully in 4.5.7, and customers find it easy to use. The latest version of ebl_image_edit I’ve found is 2.3.

Bloke’s cool smd_thumbnail plugin looks like it could be made to work, but my initial goal is resizing the main image, rather than an assortment of thumbnails.

#4 2019-07-03 14:06:41

jakob
Admin
Website

I agree that this is something that clients often want, especially those coming from WP. Jcrop I thought was ancient (as seen here) but it appears that it is still being maintained at jcrop.com (GitHub), so there’s potential.

I forget, but wasn’t ebl_image_edit a flash-based plugin (or was that another one of his). If so, that has no future, but a different plugin to incorporate the cropper would excellent.

What I’ve also always wanted was a plugin to set the focus point in an image for use with contained images.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#5 2019-07-03 16:55:32

towndock
Website

ebl_image_edit has no flash – just using jcrop/jquery (works fine on an iPhone for example.) The jcrop.com GitHub shows activity in the last year, so it is being maintained.

Agreed, a plugin that set the focal point, perhaps in conjunction with code like Bloke’s smd_thumbnail, would be awesome.

I’ve read better image handling is on the future Textpattern roadmap. 4.8? Any of this likely to be addressed?

Board footer