Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2019-06-28 09:35:16

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

minor annoyances

On clicking the next button, or even typing a page number in the logs, the page refreshes but remembers the bottom position of the scrolling. Although this works wonderfully for the write, pages, and css tabs, the functionality is not relevant when one wants to check the logs as it would be expected to actually load and show the top of the next page.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#2 2019-07-01 16:58:59

colak
Admin

Re: minor annoyances

Hmmm. I could be persuaded that I’m thinking about this wrongly and I’d be happy to read other peoples’ experiences with the logs..

Yiannis
——————————

#3 2019-07-01 23:04:57

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

I would gladly share my experience with the logs panel. Unfortunately, all but one of the site I can access have logging disabled. The other one has such a massive number of page views that with 7 days logging, it is barely enough to fill one page…

Do you see the same on the articles or images or files tabs – basically all list panels? I would somehow expect the answer to be yes.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#4 2019-07-02 04:31:02

colak
Admin

Now that you mention it, all tabs behave in the same counter-intuitive way.

Yiannis
——————————

#5 2019-07-02 06:35:35

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Ok, so we are talking about the same thing. Good (not really… as the behaviour is a bit annoying).

I think it is related to the way the JS builds the list panels and the search thingie at the top. Paradoxically, I can’t reproduce it on the Images, but I have the smd-thumbnails extension active there.

Seen both with Safari and Firefox, btw.

#6 2019-07-02 13:21:18

colak
Admin

The behaviour is the same on Images, logs, and articles to me. I do not have so many files so I cannot check there.

Since I am at it… :) There is another issue with the saving of images where, after saving, the images pane loads on the top of the page. Since the multiple upload of images was thankfully implemented, we have to visit every image to fill in the alt or any other field we need to. It would be cool if on save, the page loaded with the image id as anchor, so as to make it easier to click on the next image for editing.

ps. Changed the subject of the thread

Yiannis
——————————

#7 2019-07-03 06:55:35

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

I’m tempted to say that if you lack the screen estate, just set the pagination to a lower value. Otherwise, while listing you’ll need to scroll anyway, be it upwards or downwards. Personally, I find it handy for navigation to have next/prev page links at the same position, without a need to scroll down.

#8 2019-07-03 07:54:07

colak
Admin

etc wrote #318621:

I’m tempted to say that if you lack the screen estate, just set the pagination to a lower value. Otherwise, while listing you’ll need to scroll anyway, be it upwards or downwards. Personally, I find it handy for navigation to have next/prev page links at the same position, without a need to scroll down.

Fair enough… What about the image save though? Do you not think that it would be easy to place an anchor on save so as to have the image you just edited on the top of the image listing page?

Yiannis
——————————

#9 2019-07-03 08:02:10

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

@etc, interesting. I have a different experience. When going to a second or third, etc listing page, I prefer to start from the top, as I, more often than not, will need to scroll anyway. That way, if I need the previous/next button, it will be handy when I finished my scrolling down the list.

Mind you, your approach is just as valid. it is just that you need to scroll back (page down arrow) after going through the listed items, and I currently need to page up first currently.

Even with the minimum number of listed items I will need to scroll anyway. What with a decent font-size, a not-that-huge screen (MBA 13 mostly, but even on the iMac), the browser that will never been in full screen, etc.

#10 2019-07-03 08:46:57

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

phiw13 wrote #318624:

When going to a second or third, etc listing page, I prefer to start from the top, as I, more often than not, will need to scroll anyway. That way, if I need the previous/next button, it will be handy when I finished my scrolling down the list.

Yes, that’s admittedly the normal workflow when one needs to examinate every list item, but not when we want to fast forward/rewind pages. Scrolling to top is just a matter of triggering “Back to top” link click, so technically it takes only few JS lines and could be a theme feature/pref. In this case I would probably make navigation links sticky, like “With selected” combo.

colak wrote #318623:

What about the image save though? Do you not think that it would be easy to place an anchor on save so as to have the image you just edited on the top of the image listing page?

That’s a valid point, though it would not be of much help if the sort order is different from id/posted. Another possibility is to introduce some multi-edit feature, so that all just uploaded images (which are already preselected) could be opened for editing at once.

#11 2019-07-03 13:49:14

colak
Admin

etc wrote #318625:

Yes, that’s admittedly the normal workflow when one needs to examinate every list item, but not when we want to fast forward/rewind pages. Scrolling to top is just a matter of triggering “Back to top” link click, so technically it takes only few JS lines and could be a theme feature/pref. In this case I would probably make navigation links sticky, like “With selected” combo.

Hi Oleg,

as the current page number resides in an editable text field, isn’t it easier to just type the number there instead of just clicking on the next link? For me, clicking on the next is because I want to see that page.

Another possibility is to introduce some multi-edit feature, so that all just uploaded images (which are already preselected) could be opened for editing at once.

That sounds very cool! Would it be something like the article matrix plugin but showing the thumbnail, and editable text fields of the recently uploaded images?

Yiannis
——————————

#12 2019-07-04 07:17:05

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Hi Yiannis

colak wrote #318627:

as the current page number resides in an editable text field, isn’t it easier to just type the number there instead of just clicking on the next link? For me, clicking on the next is because I want to see that page.

Sometimes you don’t know the page number, for example when searching for a particular date in logs. Sure, the search filter helps in most cases, but not always. Say, when searching for all records before 25/02/2019, how would you do?

That sounds very cool! Would it be something like the article matrix plugin but showing the thumbnail, and editable text fields of the recently uploaded images?

Every time I mess with UX, something goes west (as this thread confirms), so I would leave it with Phil. I can just imagine that all checked images would be opened for editing on the same page, with all their fields. Each image section could be expandable/collapsible to save the screen space.

Board footer