Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#37 2019-06-04 06:06:17

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: Bitcoin donation

philwareham wrote #318364:

I still don’t understand what bitcoin does apart from destroy the environment. We need to stop this shit ASAP.

I so much agree with you, although I believe that the ever expanding dematerialisation of cash in favour of credit cards will eventually result in the proliferation of crypto-currencies.

There is one project regarding cryptocurrency mining i fully support.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#38 2019-06-04 07:08:34

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

ax wrote #318362:

This is an old thread, and at this time one Bitcoin was 450$, now it is over 8.000$. Therefore, the 50$ in this Bitcoin wallet in 2014 are 850 Euro today. Hopefully, gocom still remembers the password :-).

Fun fact: that donation was from me, in thanks for rah_* plugins.

I amassed 0.1212 BTC from various activities related to cdnJS when I was a librarian there, and I have a very vague memory of getting a small amount from an unconnected GitHub docs commit way back in the day. When BTC peaked at 25,000USD I occasionally thought what Jukka might do with that ~3000USD worth of BTC…perhaps some replacement Sennnheiser headphones.

#39 2019-06-04 07:09:45

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

I still don’t understand what bitcoin does apart from destroy the environment. We need to stop this shit ASAP.

You missed “drive up the price of graphics cards”.

#40 2019-06-04 12:44:48

Destry
Website

+1

There’s a pretty smart guy (‘old tech command-line linux guy’ as I call such type) in the fedi that sometimes takes blockchain apart. I admit I don’t know much about it (other than the HUGE demands on electricity), but after reading a couple of his calm and rational rants, I wonder why anybody but the most immoral towards the environment would go near it.

colak wrote #318365:

There is one project regarding cryptocurrency mining i fully support.

That is indeed cool. Makes me want to set that rig up. ;)
Honestly, if mining was all done by renewable energy, I wouldn’t have a problem with it.

I believe that the ever expanding dematerialisation of cash in favour of credit cards will eventually result in the proliferation of crypto-currencies.

I hope not. I’d rather see something like local currency take hold in regional economies. Plus you get to use cool looking bills (the design of which would be fun to do).

#41 2019-06-04 16:44:27

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Destry wrote #318373:

I hope not. I’d rather see something like local currency take hold in regional economies. Plus you get to use cool looking bills (the design of which would be fun to do).

I wish that this would happen but as money affects and manipulates social order, and although I know that it may sound cynical, cryptocurrencies might be our last hope for power distribution. As much as ecologically unfriendly bitcoin is, the power of the blockchain as a peer to peer network and distributive non centralised ledger offers the most viable alternative to what is happening today in our banking sectors.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#42 2019-06-04 17:01:50

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

I had a chance to have several conversations with Michael Linton of OpenMoney years ago at Gnomedex.

Unfortunately, it hasn’t broken out yet.

Board footer