Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2019-05-29 07:46:46

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

[SOLVED] Themes

I am testing the themes feature and hitting some walls

I have sections, some of which use the default template whereas others are using their own separate ones.

In the weblog it says:

t’d be no good working away in the dark, so Textpattern now has one more trick up its digital sleeve. If you are editing any Theme, you—and only you—can preview what that Theme looks like by viewing the public site as normal. Whichever Theme you are editing temporarily overrides the real Theme in use across the entire site. Regular users who are not logged into the admin side continue to see the site as it was.

This does not seem to work for me, as any changes I do to a particular template of the theme I am developing, are not visible (to me) on the front side. I’m not sure if I am doing anything wrong but even basic things like changing the colour of an svg in the forms and linking directly to the flat file is not reflected when visiting the front end.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#2 2019-05-29 08:01:41

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: [SOLVED] Themes

Hi Yiannis,

this is outdated since 4.7.2:

Whichever Theme you are editing temporarily overrides the real Theme in use across the entire site.

Check first whether Enable development theme preview? admin pref is set to Yes. Then you will be able to fine-tune themes viewed by regular and dev users on Sections pane, or select a dev theme for all sections at once on Themes pane (Preview link).

#3 2019-05-29 08:37:49

colak
Admin

etc wrote #318286:

Hi Yiannis,

Check first whether Enable development theme preview? admin pref is set to Yes. Then you will be able to fine-tune themes viewed by regular and dev users on Sections pane, or select a dev theme for all sections at once on Themes pane (Preview link).

The Enable development theme preview? is set to yes.

This is my process… just in case I’m doing something wrong.

1. Backed up my db
  2. Doubligated the theme
  3. navigated to one of the forms and changed the colour of an svg under the new theme
  4. navigated to one of the templates and changed some of the content under the new theme.
  5. Clicked on the front end home button and then to the section where those very minor changes were supposed to appear but I am still seeing the public content even after I force refresh.

I guess that’s it. the preview in the themes section is the key

Yiannis
——————————

#4 2019-05-29 08:49:45

jakob
Admin
Website

Did you also apply the new theme to that section under Presentations › Sections. That panel then shows the existing them crossed out and the new one next to it.

I believe you also need to be logged in and in the same browser, too.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#5 2019-05-29 09:01:51

colak
Admin

jakob wrote #318292:

Did you also apply the new theme to that section under Presentations › Sections. That panel then shows the existing them crossed out and the new one next to it.

I believe you also need to be logged in and in the same browser, too.

It is exactly what I did wrong. I was thinking that the front end would parse the new theme. Instead, I had to click on the preview.

Yiannis
——————————

#6 2019-05-29 09:11:21

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

colak wrote #318291:

navigated to one of the templates and changed some of the content under the new theme.

This does not automatically switch all sections to this theme any more, you need to do it explicitly, either on Themes or Sections pane. Actually, if you only tweak style/page templates, you don’t even need to install a new theme. Just create some css_dev/page_dev assets and assign them as dev versions to appropriate sections. Regular visitors will still be served public versions until you decide to deploy dev ones.

Board footer