Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#109 2019-05-28 07:21:05

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: Decentralized software alternatives

jakob wrote #318250:

Am I the only person having a problem understanding that site? I understand perhaps a handful of individual terms on the home page but despite all the diagrams they don’t paint any kind of picture for me. What does it do? What is it for? Why should I be interested? I’m just confused!

Maybe their explanation on github will be of help.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#110 2019-05-28 11:13:43

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

colak wrote #318255:

I got this far…

“The internet has nothing to do with computing. Computing has nothing to do with the internet”

…and I was done.

#111 2019-05-28 14:53:47

jakob
Admin
Website

colak wrote #318255:

Thank you! And sorry, I was being facetious. Like Pete, it made my eyes roll and toenails curl. I found it pretty impenetrable but could have persevered…

In a sense it was good to see as reminder of how the (less complicated) stuff we do sounds like gobbledygook to (most) people who are not so internet-savvy.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#112 2019-06-03 07:15:16

Destry
Website

Mobilizon, the project launched by Framasoft (non-profit org) in Lyon, has surpassed its second of three funding stages with still 37 days to go. With stage 2 reached, it is now guaranteed-slated to be a decentralized and federating events/groups/communities application to rival those types of functionalities on big tech platforms, and notably Farcebook. The rapid funding success suggests there is a big interest in this from the get-go.

Note this app has a more specific scope than Friendica, another decentralized and federating Fakebook alternative but at the general FB platform level. Mobilizon is targeting only those people who use FB for the events/groups functionalities, which are the only features that still keep many people on FB. So Mobilizon is a very interesting project to watch and promote, IMO.

The code base is already in place — now to be extended — and both UX and front-end designers have been employed to help with the project, which is rare for new open source projects, so there’s a lot of diligence and expectation going into it already.

I have given the project a few bills just for the hope of it.

#113 2019-06-05 14:02:53

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Tantek Çelik, Web Standards Lead at Mozilla and co-founder of IndieWebCamp, delivered an inspirational talk titled “Take Back Your Web” at the most recent beyond tellerrand conference in Düsseldorf, Germany. He opened the presentation with a litany of Facebook’s wrongdoings, taking the world’s largest social network to task for its role in increasing polarization, amplifying rage, and spreading conspiracy theories. Çelik challenged the audience to “stop scrolling Facebook,” because its algorithms are designed to manipulate users’ emotions and behaviors. He noted that it is the only social network with a Wikipedia page dedicated to its criticism. This massive document has a dizzying number of references, which Wikipedia says “may be too long to read and navigate comfortably.” As an alternative to scrolling Facebook, Celik encouraged attendees to spend time doing nothing, an activity that can be uncomfortable yet productive. – Take Back Your Web: Tantek Çelik’s Call to Action to Join the Independent Web

For anyone unaware, Çelik first came to fame for his work on Internet Explorer for the Mac, which was the most standards compliant version of IE that Microsoft ever released.

#114 2019-06-05 15:31:02

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

michaelkpate wrote #318378:

For anyone unaware, Çelik first came to fame for his work on Internet Explorer for the Mac, which was the most standards compliant version of IE that Microsoft ever released.

Nice article!

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#115 2019-06-06 11:16:04

Destry
Website

I’ve not really followed the CWKs in quite a while. But after watching that talk from Tantek, I’m intrigued by the possibility of Webmentions. If I understand that correctly, I can put what look like user comments on my articles but which are not direct comments at all, and without having to use Txp comments, and most important, without any third-party connection at all.

I don’t care about likes, faves, and facepiles, that stuff can go in the crapper. But a variation of that, a basic read counter, could be good. Just a number somewhere up top for fun and clout: {value} curious intellectuals!.

Also interesting was the Reader setup he was talking about, though I’m not excited about employing GitHub for anything else at this point.

I also get the sense from reading this IndeWeb page about monoculture that it’s not only dumping on platforms the likes of FB, Twitter, etc, but federated systems too. I’m not sure that’s exactly fair, if so. Nevertheless, I’m now wondering if I can leverage ‘IndieWeb’ tricks enough to drop Mastodon. Which, though I have nothing against it, is still a data/content externality I don’t have total control over, as I’m now fully realizing. Not without setting up my own instance.

#116 2019-06-06 11:27:23

Destry
Website

Destry wrote #318387:

I also get the sense from reading this IndeWeb page about monoculture that it’s not only dumping on platforms the likes of FB, Twitter, etc, but federated systems too. I’m not sure that’s exactly fair, if so.

Looking at that page closer, I don’t think it’s suggesting federation, as the whole point of federation is to enable communication across different softwares. Thus, I think Tantek missed an opportunity in his talk to plug federation a bit too, as it also works to the benefit of ‘taking back the web’.

#117 2019-09-05 08:16:09

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Destry wrote #312790:

Bravo Qwant! That’s how you do it.

Join the revolution. Don’t be part of the problem. :)

Microsoft has joined the revolution.

#118 2019-09-05 08:24:38

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

etc wrote #319230:

Microsoft has joined the revolution.

Nice for Qwant, I guess.

BTW – that news item is dated May 17, 2019. FWIW.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#119 2019-09-06 12:38:10

Destry
Website

A relationship that doesn’t work for Google, is about the only positive I see from it. Not that I like Microsoft any better.

Board footer