Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2019-05-14 19:24:09

dinoact

Home Page vs Date Based Archive Help

I have a somewhat specific way I want my site set up and have never had 100% success when trying it out with TXP. Any help with how to implement would be hugely appreciated. I’m switching from an old version of Movable Type and am trying to recreate its functionality.

What I can get working:
Home Page of site: most recent article
Category article list page: list of all articles in that category
Post entry page: The article

What I can’t get working (or when I do get it working, it breaks other things, namely the home page):
Date-based archive page: list of all articles for a specific month/year – example URL would be website.com/2019/04/, which using the 4.7 default theme treats the content exactly like the home page

For my settings, I’m using /year/month/day/title for the URL pattern

Thanks,
John

#2 2019-05-14 20:57:22

jakob
Admin
Website

Re: Home Page vs Date Based Archive Help

Hi John,

Textpattern will automatically respond to /YYYY/MM/ urls to show the list of articles from that month, but doesn’t seem to do the same for just the year without some extra trickery.

One workaround people have used is to create an article or a section for that year (depends on your url scheme), and then do a custom txp:article_custom using the month attribute (see the docs) to output articles for the entire year. (I’m whizzing through this because I saw you’ve authored some more complex tips on this in past.)

But maybe this thread from Michael from a while back would help you. He has a small plugin that detects the url parts and provides you with the means to respond to them.

As regards the default page, it should by default just show you the last 5 articles in full, but you can simply change the limit to 1 on this line to make it show just one article and specify an own form if you want it in a special format. There’s a similar line in Michael’s example too.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#3 2019-05-15 09:29:17

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

jakob wrote #318000:

Hi John,

Textpattern will automatically respond to /YYYY/MM/ urls to show the list of articles from that month, but doesn’t seem to do the same for just the year without some extra trickery.

Yes, historically it considers /abcd/ as section abcd, which is fine per se. Should we introduce an exception for year-like values? Dunno…

But /2019/05/ should work as expected, please confirm.

#4 2019-05-15 10:35:40

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Additionally, there is a bug in /year/month/day/title mode: the second page of /?month=1984 listing has /1984/?pg=2 URL, currently interpreted as s=1984&pg=2. We should either generate /?month=1984&pg=2 link in this case or consider /1984/ as a year number and not a section name. Orwell fans might be affected, though…

#5 2019-05-17 08:46:55

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

etc wrote #318020:

Additionally, there is a bug in /year/month/day/title mode: the second page of /?month=1984 listing has /1984/?pg=2 URL, currently interpreted as s=1984&pg=2.

Hmmm, that’s interesting. Is it dangerous, as you suggest, to consider all-numeric section names comprising exactly 4 digits to be years and interpret them as year/month/day/title? I’d be tempted to say it’s safe, but I’ve been known to be wrong.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#6 2019-05-17 09:19:29

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Bloke wrote #318068:

Is it dangerous, as you suggest, to consider all-numeric section names comprising exactly 4 digits to be years and interpret them as year/month/day/title? I’d be tempted to say it’s safe, but I’ve been known to be wrong.

I’ve learned that every change is dangerous. :-) I’m tempted by a hybrid approach: if there is such section — let it be. Otherwise it’s year.

#7 2019-05-17 09:55:06

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

etc wrote #318073:

I’m tempted by a hybrid approach: if there is such section — let it be. Otherwise it’s year.

That sounds the most sensible option. As we work towards user-customisable permlink schemes, this sort of exception might need more consideration.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#8 2019-05-17 10:45:18

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Yep, exceptions are Pandora boxes. And I wouldn’t be surprised if someone called his sections 2019 and so on. No clue…

#9 2019-05-17 11:43:03

jakob
Admin
Website

etc wrote #318073:

I’m tempted by a hybrid approach: if there is such section — let it be. Otherwise it’s year.

I agree that sounds sensible too. If I’ve understood you correctly, if someone names their section 2019 it shows the section’s page template not the year filter.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#10 2019-05-17 12:28:35

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Hi all,

Although it would be great if user-customisable permlink schemes are implemented, I have my doubts about dates in urls as they are more appropriate for blogging platforms and not very relevant for a CMS.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#11 2019-05-17 13:31:37

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

jakob wrote #318081:

If I’ve understood you correctly, if someone names their section 2019 it shows the section’s page template not the year filter.

Yes, that would be mostly bw-compatible, but also yields potential SE issues: all of a sudden /2019/ URL can land you on a different page. I think the best way is to always see /2019/ as the year filter in year/month/day/title mode, and suggest to few users that need a numeric section to use a different permlink mode.

colak wrote #318082:

Although it would be great if user-customisable permlink schemes are implemented, I have my doubts about dates in urls as they are more appropriate for blogging platforms and not very relevant for a CMS.

BW compatibility is one of the greatest challenges we have to face :-/

#12 2019-05-17 14:37:37

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

etc wrote #318083:

BW compatibility is one of the greatest challenges we have to face :-/

I can fully understand and support that, but the potential idea that we could have domain.tld/section-name/fake-subsection/article-title or even domain.tld/section-name/fake-subsection/fake-sub-subsection/article-title out of the box really excites me as it will deplete the need for subdomains:)

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

Board footer