Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2019-05-14 18:26:34

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

ZombieLoad chip flaws

Just read the article Apple, Google and Microsoft release patches for ZombieLoad chip flaws that links to Apple’s fix which is where the following comes from:

Testing conducted by Apple in May 2019 showed as much as a 40 percent reduction in performance with tests that include multithreaded workloads and public benchmarks. Performance tests are conducted using specific Mac computers. Actual results will vary based on model, configuration, usage, and other factors.

No models are listed which probably means that unless you just use a word processor to write short letters to your grand-children, working on your computer will feel that it is about 8 years older to its actual age!…

On the other hand, searching for ‘Hyper-threading’ (what apple calls multithreading) both on my computer, following Apple’s instructions, and on the web, all that I found was how little information there is about it in regards to consumer products.

The vulnerability of course is serious enough not to give us a choice or the luxury to procrastinate.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#2 2019-05-15 04:53:38

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Re: ZombieLoad chip flaws

lovely :-(. Yet another instances of have to make it faster, quickly… Still trying to understand to what extend I might be affected, beyond the execution of JS (Apple goes to great lengths to claim that is neutralised). As I understand it, it is much more an issue for server based apps.

Where are the ARM based Macs ?

PS – next on the list: multiple issues caused by widespread use and trusting of Artificial Intelligence.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#3 2019-05-15 14:29:05

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

phiw13 wrote #318007:

Where are the ARM based Macs ?

Probably a step ahead of the bastardised macOS/iOS hybrid that’ll be arriving in the next few years.

…and much more likely than a TR4/X399-based, modular Mac Pro, I’d wager.

#4 2019-05-15 17:45:03

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

phiw13 wrote #318007:

PS – next on the list: multiple issues caused by widespread use and trusting of Artificial Intelligence.

Don’t get me started!!! :)

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

Board footer