Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2019-04-16 20:33:48

jakob
Admin
Website

Re: 'Surveillance Capitalism'

colak wrote #316205:

Bridle is actually an excellent speaker as well and I would recommend watching some of his talks online. Re his book, here’s a short interview produced by his publishers.

I’m guessing you already know, but if not Bridle wrote an introductory article in the Guardian to his radio series beginning tomorrow on BBC Radio 4 entitled New Ways of Seeing. I’m not sure if people outside GB will be geoblocked from downloading from the programme site, but the regular Radio 4 stream should definitely work.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#14 2019-04-17 05:44:35

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Thanks for the heads up Julian. I knew about it but I was also thinking of geo-blocking until I remembered tunein radio which streams almost every station.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#15 2019-04-17 10:30:02

jakob
Admin
Website

Yes, TuneIn will do it. This direct stream link should also work (e.g. in iTunes or the browser):

http://bbcmedia.ic.llnwd.net/stream/bbcmedia_radio4fm_mf_p

#16 2019-04-17 13:50:53

colak
Admin

BBC actually fully works in the end and it also allows me to listen back to it. He’ll be curating a show for us later this year so I think that it is important to be catching up with his latest projects. Having exhibited already some of the artists included in the first episode, I feel that we are heading into the right direction, be it without an actual acknowledgement from the arts community in Cy who seem to be stuck on conceptual art.

Yiannis
——————————

#17 2019-05-08 22:06:45

jakob
Admin
Website

The fourth and final episode from this evening ends with a call for a return to the distributed web and a refocusing of the attention of AI: Cybernetic Forests. I found the entire series stimulating and thought-provoking on many levels.

It worked for me fine for me online on the BBC sounds site, too but the series is also on Soundcloud with notes on James Bridle’s homepage.

#18 2019-05-09 06:23:28

colak
Admin

Glad you enjoyed.

There is a very important book by John Cheney-Lippold, Bridle was influenced from, you may also find engaging. We Are Data: Algorithms and the Making of Our Digital Selves.

Shifting to critical architecture, Ecologies of Power: Counter Mapping the Logistical Landscapes and Military Geographies of the U.S. Department of Defense by Pierre Bélanger and Alexander Arroyo, is an excellent read. A review about this by Régine Debatty (another one to look out for) can be found on her site.

Excerpt:

More than 75% of DoD fuel today is used for the transporting and conveying of fuel prior to arrival at its final destination.

Yiannis
——————————

#19 2019-05-09 06:32:41

colak
Admin

Destry wrote #317422:

Mark Zuckerberg asks governments to help control internet content

He sees the writing on the wall (regulation is coming), so he’s trying to make sure all tech companies get nailed equally. Curious.

There is a very new artwork on Zuckerberg by Ben Grosser you may find entertaining: Order of magnitude.

Yiannis
——————————

#20 2019-05-09 11:34:43

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

jakob wrote #317933:

[…] with notes on James Bridle’s homepage.

Thank you for that, I see that includes links to the shows transcript (useful for people like me who do not have the energy to listen to podcast/ view video reports etc.)

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#21 2019-05-09 12:30:22

jakob
Admin
Website

phiw13 wrote #317941:

Thank you for that, I see that includes links to the shows transcript (useful for people like me who do not have the energy to listen to podcast/ view video reports etc.)

Yes! The last one hasn’t been published yet but I guess that will follow soon. They are in the format of 30-minute radio programmes and are written economically for a wider audience so not overly “busy” to listen to. A couple of blend-ins from original recordings of John Berger’s original “Ways of Seeing” series and from Bertolt Brecht highlight both how far we have come from the art and media of the past as well as how little distance we seem to have travelled in some respects. If you’d prefer an offline recording, send me an email.

#22 2019-05-09 22:45:14

bici
Website Mastodon

jakob wrote #317942:

Yes! The last one hasn’t been published yet but I guess that will follow soon. They are in the format of 30-minute radio programmes and are written economically for a wider audience so not overly “busy” to listen to. A couple of blend-ins from original recordings of John Berger’s original “Ways of Seeing” series and from Bertolt Brecht highlight both how far we have come from the art and media of the past as well as how little distance we seem to have travelled in some respects. If you’d prefer an offline recording, send me an email.

John Berger’s original “Ways of Seeing
what a Wonderfull book that was as well as his triology : Pig Earth, Once in Europa, and Lilac and Flag.

…. texted postive

#23 2019-05-10 06:28:03

jakob
Admin
Website

bici wrote #317944:

John Berger’s original “Ways of Seeing” – what a Wonderfull book that was as well as his triology : Pig Earth, Once in Europa, and Lilac and Flag.

Getting way off-topic here, but weren’t they just! You don’t need Alpine blood coursing through you to relate to them but I was just wondering: do you have North Italian / South Tyrolean roots? Alas, I seem to have misplaced my copy of the Into Their Labours trilogy but still have a dog-eared copy of Ways of Seeing from the 70s.

#24 2019-05-10 07:55:47

colak
Admin

Ways of seeing was indeed an amazing book, not only because of Berger’s radical re-reading of the arts but imo, also because it was one of those rare succesful transfers from the original TV series to printing. The current situation where many texts remain just for the screen is very sad.

In any case, for those who never watched the actual series. It is available on YouTube.

Last edited by colak (2019-05-15 04:12:25)

Yiannis
——————————

Board footer