You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

1. Index
  2. » General discussions
  3. » 5G

#1 2019-04-28 16:18:53

Destry
Website

5G

As I wrote elsewhere in space, I didn’t think I’d find something more scary than Bendell’s paper on ‘Deep Adaptation’, about societal collapse. But this heads-up about 5G and it’s implications for impact on privacy — hell, just being a ‘free citizen’ of Earth — is really disappointing.

Frankly, I’d rather go back to living like a Saxon as society goes savage than be a walking microchip in the Matrix. But on the plus side, this ever-constant race for energy-consuming technology is probably going to bring the collapse sooner, so the joke is on them. ;)

#2 2019-04-28 16:27:20

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Re: 5G

And the counter-argument: Why 5G Internet Is So Important to the Future of Cord Cutting

I loathe Xfinity/Comcast but I have absolutely no alternative in order to have Internet. Some day, we will all be able to choose from multiple competitors.

#3 2019-04-28 16:38:05

Destry
Website

Human rights and climate are on the line, but Mike in the US has got to have internet options! lol

Sorry, I couldn’t resist. I know I’m in the minority, which is why I’m sharpening up my saxon axe for the eternal night. ;)

#4 2019-04-29 02:18:43

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Destry wrote #317809:

Human rights and climate are on the line, but Mike in the US has got to have internet options! lol

I grew up back in the 1970s when people were regularly predicting the end of the world was nigh.

Learning about the Seventh-Day Adventists who took part in the Great Disappointment in 1844 and the people who bought the Glenn Beck-recommended Survival Kits in 2010 has convinced me to keep calm for now.

#5 2019-04-29 10:21:44

sacripant
Plugin Author
Website

Collapse is not end of the word.
If collapse of our thermo-industrial period / counties was announced by gurus or little political ecologist, ok, Keep Calm.
But when whistleblowers are scientists from around the world, it would be necessary to stop being in denial.
Welcome to the Anthropocene era.

Aurélien Barrau, french astrophysicist, about 5G

“We therefore preparing the telephone network 5G. Actively. With frenzy and impatience! For a slightly diminished latency and the certainty that the YT videos will be visible outdoor without interruption, we will deploy countless antennas, destroy the previous ones, to renew everything – no doubt in multiple copies, due to disjoint operators.
This is the archetype of what leads to disaster. Our structural inability to say “enough is enough, we do not need or desire such a senseless debauchery; we refuse this lethal idea that everything that is technologically possible should be effectively realized for the deadly enjoyment of pure consumption.
The question is NOT whether to build nuclear power plants or wind turbines to power all that. It consists in understanding how to stem this suicidal hubris from the creation of material needs that prevail over the insane ravages that their enactment induces necessarily on the living. Even with a perfectly clean energy source, the effect of the deployment would be dramatic.
5G kills. Not because of the effects of waves on human health. But as an artificial creation of an arbitrary need with devastating consequences. We CAN NOT continue to act as if these follies had no consequences. We have already killed 70% of life (with almost no global warming). Do we prefer the life or the speed of the telephone network? It’s (almost) as simple as that.

#6 2019-04-29 12:15:56

zero
Website

Dangers of 5G mentions health, which is unusual wrt to 5G.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#7 2019-04-29 13:17:21

Destry
Website

sacripant wrote #317816:

Collapse is not end of the world.

Exactly.

At least not as far as I see it. Jumping from collapse (of our current complex society, as I meant it) to ‘end of the world’ is a big jump, and Pate made that leap right on cue. But one person’s end-of-world is another person’s living happily off-grid under the stars.

In fact, a good collapse might very well be what saves our species, and a few better ones — island ecology on a grand scale. Society can’t seem to make the decision to do it together, proactively, so mother nature will handle it for us in more dramatic fashion, with our stubborn assistance, insistence, persistence.

He’s right about not panicking, though. It will only make things worse. Panic is what we should expect, however when worthless politicians, their churches, and mainstream media sensationalize ‘the end of the world’; when the privileged colonists realize this climate stuff is true, as science has been observing, measuring, and reporting since the 60s; when millions of people affected by natural disasters and starvation start migrating in uncontrollable waves across borders (you ain’t seen anything yet), competing for limited resources. It will get a lot uglier before it equalizes.

Society needs to learn how to de-growth to adapt to what’s coming. The globalization growth economy is at the root of the problem; from population, to consumerism, to wealth, to energy consumption… The more, more, more mentality. The planet is a finite ball of dirt and minerals, and we’re already beyond safe carrying capacity with no signs of lifting off the gas pedal. We need to wake up to this fact and change our habits, yes, but governments and global capitalism needs radical reforms too for it to matter. Things like 5G suggests to me we’re never going to. We need mother’s help.

There’s no more important topic for the world forum right now than climate and the potential/inevitable collapse of society as we know it. Everyone should be talking about it. Something Kathryn Hayhoe has given a TED talk about too. That’s the only way we’re going to come to terms with what’s ahead, and downscale in a healthy, humanitarian way. I plan to write more on these topics at my own sites, so I won’t get deep about it here, which is not what this platform is intended for, I have to remember.

#8 2019-04-29 16:56:13

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Destry wrote #317821:

In fact, a good collapse might very well be what saves our species, and a few better ones — island ecology on a grand scale. Society can’t seem to make the decision to do it together, proactively, so mother nature will handle it for us in more dramatic fashion, with our stubborn assistance, insistence, persistence.

We should start a Book Club. My recommendations for getting started:

Both of them explore the idea that periodic societal collapse is inevitable. Unless humanity evolves into a higher state of consciousness.

See also: The final scene of Babylon 5 Season 4, which aptly explored the same idea.

#9 2019-04-29 17:23:03

zero
Website

More, more, more… The antidote to greed is appreciation, to be able to appreciate. But before you read more books, or write more articles about the end times, please try to step back from the rush for a short while… and then watch this video. It is not the one about greed that I was looking for, but it gets to the point. I hope you can appreciate it. It might just direct your energy so it is more productive, fulfilling and focused. Appreciation 28 mins

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#10 2019-04-30 15:35:20

Destry
Website

Going off track here, a bit.

The only heros in my life are my wife and mother, but professor Jem Bendell is definitely someone to take inspiration from.

You may recall I’ve mentioned him before. He’s the author of the Deep Adaption paper about the inevitable climate collapse, specifically (but climate and society are pretty much intertwined). I’m not easily impressed by people who talk about climate, because it’s so easy to get diverted down a boolsheet path, but so far he’s not written anything I’ve not been in tune with, and does so with professionalism, clarity, and tact.

And it turns out he’s equally well-spoken in video too. The following is an interview of Bendell done last month. It covers a lot of ground, over an hour long. The first 25 minutes is interview, the rest is Q/A with viewers, and that is, to me, even more insightful. All of it is human and sincere and important. Here’s the hooktube alternative to the tracking site…

Deep Adaptation Q&A 2019-03-27 with Jem Bendell

And the new Deep Adaptation Forum on Ning for the public to talk about this stuff on a wider scale.

There’s also a group on FB, Twitter, etc… And this is where I’m frustrated and plan to send him a friendly note. :) I don’t use any of those platforms anymore and never will again. This leaves me out of the conversation, as it were, and I’m not alone.

Aside from my own self-interest, I think there’s a strategic point to raise with him here. He may not realize that supporting those platforms is putting his data and followers at risk on one hand, and enabling some of the very capitalism structures against society and climate on the other. He may not realize these platforms could be manipulated or hacked against his gains. He may not realize that infosec crowds and environmentalist crowds are potentially strong allies in this information flow, and could do a lot more if working together.

#11 2019-04-30 16:43:06

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

I know that this is way off topic too but related to a lot of things discussed here.

A page calculating the CO2 emitted by google – and I am purposely not misspelling it!

You can read about it here.

Apologies for the nightmares it might cause.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#12 2019-04-30 18:22:00

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

According to recent studies, Internet is responsible for the 2% of CO2 of global emissions, more than that of the aviation industry

I was last on a plane in June 2010.

I was last on the Internet right now.

This is a pretty meaningless comparison.

1. Index
  2. » General discussions
  3. » 5G

Board footer