Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2019-03-28 15:44:49

bici
Website Mastodon

Brave Browser

just found out about a “new browser”

anyone have any experience with this so called Chrome Killer ?

…. texted postive

#2 2019-03-28 16:03:20

jakob
Admin
Website

Re: Brave Browser

Brave is, like Chrome, also based on Chromium, so is very similar in behaviour and rendering. It is a bit leaner and cleaner with better tracking protection and ad blocking but has also been criticised as being a vehicle for a forthcoming “permitted advertising“ program.

See here and this tweet by Aral Balkan.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#3 2019-03-28 17:18:57

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

bici wrote #317370:

just found out about a “new browser”

It has been extensively reworked, I think, but Brave for Android is actually based on Chris Lacy’s LinkBubble, which was introduced 5 years and 8 days ago and then withdrawn in 2017.

I’ve experimented with it but I am happy with Chrome (and when I need an alternative – Vivaldi.)

#4 2019-03-28 20:03:21

bici
Website Mastodon

michaelkpate wrote #317372:

It has been extensively reworked, I think, but Brave for Android is actually based on Chris Lacy’s LinkBubble, which was introduced 5 years and 8 days ago and then withdrawn in 2017.

I’ve experimented with it but I am happy with Chrome (and when I need an alternative – Vivaldi.)

forgot about Vivaldi. I am going to try Brave for a week or so.

…. texted postive

#5 2019-03-28 20:09:37

bici
Website Mastodon

jakob wrote #317371:

Brave is, like Chrome, also based on Chromium, so is very similar in behaviour and rendering. It is a bit leaner and cleaner with better tracking protection and ad blocking but has also been criticised as being a vehicle for a forthcoming “permitted advertising“ program.

See here and this tweet by Aral Balkan.

yikes. changed my mind i am deleting the sucker

…. texted postive

#6 2019-03-28 21:22:57

zero
Website

I was using Brave but after warning from jakob I was more careful and found it was just as much a pain as all the others. Can’t remember exactly for what reasons, sorry, but I can confirm it’s not good. Leave it alone. (also seem to remember straightforward connecting to some websites was problematic, no explanatory warnings, just failures. Couldn’t be bothered investigating)

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#7 2019-03-28 22:03:32

jakob
Admin
Website

I feel now like I really dissed it, but I was merely relaying what I read. Personally I actually liked it and read the comments I linked to with a sense of dismay. I use it less as a result, too.

(also seem to remember straightforward connecting to some websites was problematic, no explanatory warnings, just failures. Couldn’t be bothered investigating)

That might not necessarily be the browser. Many browsers now assume https and warn when a site has no certificate or an incorrect certificate, requiring you to grant it as an exception to visit it.
Some ad blockers also block links from sponsored google search results or google shopping results.

#8 2019-03-29 07:31:58

Pat64
Plugin Author
GitHub Twitter

As Michael said, Vivaldi is a very interesting browser with lot of new features in it.

If you are looking for a browser with privacy in mind, give a try to Cliqz with a built in protection: https://cliqz.com/en/

Patrick.

Github | CodePen | Codier | Simplr theme | Wait Me: a maintenance theme | [\a mi.ni.ma]: a “Low Tech” simple Blog theme.

#9 2019-03-29 09:36:11

uli

Pat64 wrote #317392:

If you are looking for a browser with privacy in mind, give a try to Cliqz with a built in protection

I’ve had it installed on Android (see my forum post from last year), and it connected to a multitude of snooping servers. They know what you’re reading: They don’t call it advertising, they serve “proposals” instead.

Oh, and: Cliqz has aquired the Ghostery project (why?) which perfidiously aimed at collecting user data. Cliqz – as an enterprise – is part of the Burda media group. Media, advertising, clicks … hence the name.

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#10 2019-03-29 10:04:26

jakob
Admin
Website

uli wrote #317393:

Oh, and: Cliqz has aquired the Ghostery project (why?) which perfidiously aimed at collecting user data. Cliqz – as an enterprise – is part of the Burda media group. Media, advertising, clicks … hence the name.

The reason they say was to increase their user base. Cliqz issued a statement/tweet saying that they were not connected to Ghostery’s previous ad-tech efforts, which are now part of a separate company but Aral Balkan (same guy that called out Brave above) was not convinced: here two of his tweets on the matter.

#11 2019-03-29 10:07:30

jakob
Admin
Website

Interestingly, Cliqz and Brave look very similar, except for the colours, but as far as I can tell, Brave is based on Chromium (like Chrome) and Cliqz on Gecko (like Firefox). I’m intrigued by what I read about Cliqz’s “not just search results but search answers” approach. How useful is that in practice?

#12 2019-03-29 12:06:21

zero
Website

jakob wrote #317379:

I feel now like I really dissed it, but I was merely relaying what I read. Personally I actually liked it and read the comments I linked to with a sense of dismay. I use it less as a result, too.

That might not necessarily be the browser. Many browsers now assume https and warn when a site has no certificate or an incorrect certificate, requiring you to grant it as an exception to visit it.
Some ad blockers also block links from sponsored google search results or google shopping results.

Sorry jakob, my post was clumsy. I was happy with Brave at first but when you mentioned something about its problems, it was after that when I started having problems myself. I remember now that it wouldn’t save bookmarks to the bookmark toolbar. Then it did “automatic updates” which simply replaced my existing version with a completely new version taking all my settings, customisation etc with it. Regarding not connecting to sites, it might have been along the lines you suggest but without any warnings or indications. So I’d had enough and ditched it. I use xubuntu by the way.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

Board footer