Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2019-03-27 13:34:24

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Re: what is Headless CMS

In theory yes you can send from a third-party app into the Textpattern database if the app supports the API we choose and fields can be mapped. Although I don’t know of any apps available that do that specifically, or security implications of allowing data to be injected into a database.

More likely use is to send data from a Textpattern database to wherever you want to use it. Be that an app, flat-file CMS, web service, etc.

#14 2019-03-27 15:04:57

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Bloke wrote #317337:

Bundling XML-RPC with Textpattern was our attempt years ago to capture this market (e.g. third party tools like MarsEdit) but very few took it up because, frankly, it’s crap.

XML-RPC Specification – Originally released: January 21st, 1999. Last revised: June 15, 1999.

I remember trying out Windows Live Writer but it never went anywhere.

#15 2019-03-27 18:38:07

Destry
Website

philwareham wrote #317345:

More likely use is to send data from a Textpattern database to wherever you want to use it. Be that an app, flat-file CMS, web service, etc.

Okay. Zero use case for me, then. And, frankly, I don’t mind using the admin-side editor. In fact, as somewhat complex as my setup is with short-codes and endnotes and whatnot, I don’t think a ‘headless’ situation would work.

And there’s still the lack of a good Textile text editor in the market anyway. I don’t mean something that can do it, but something slick and focused on par with iA Writer. It’s a shame it’s not out there, or that something like Writer doesn’t make an option for it. Oh welz.

#16 2019-03-27 18:39:45

Destry
Website

michaelkpate wrote #317346:

XML-RPC Specification – Originally released: January 21st, 1999. Last revised: June 15, 1999.

lol

#17 2020-03-03 05:20:15

whaleen
Website

bump

Greetings Textpatrons. Apparently I haven’t posted in 6 years and I’m glad to see a lot of you are still here. RIP Dean. Just heard for the first time. I still use “hope for the future”, etc.. as boilerplate cats on every site I make. I was sad to hear he is gone. Much like Stef had posted I too would not have learned what I did when I did about the web. Might not even be working in the industry myself had it not been for Textpattern.

I started a few repos to explore the possibility of consuming a Textpattern site from a SSG. I’m using 11ty (Jekyll alternative in javascript).

Seems possible to serve JSON from Textpattern that any front end could consume. That’s not a problem. Just needs to be made consumable on a case by case basis. You could expose certain part of a TXP site and build a React app for wrist watches that could read from it for example.

Wanting to put stuff into /textpattern, /txp_images, /txp_files, etc… is where it gets hairy. The hairyness: https://github.com/txp-js/txp-graphql

Someone smarter than me could tell me what value that experiment brings to the table. If there was a TXP plugin that provided a GraphQL layer for interaction with the MySql databse then we’d be in business.

Imagine a service called txp.io Push a button and a docker container spawns at crazy-random-name.txp.io. A JAMstack jocky builds a React app and every other things he wants while passing off a Textpattern admin to the editors.

If anybody wants to fool around with these ideas I’ve put up an org on GitHub where I’m going to play around with some of these concepts.

The org: https://github.com/txp-js
- https://github.com/txp-js/txp-js – 11ty site to eat Textpattern content as JSON
- https://github.com/txp-js/txp-cli – Me learning how to write a CLI
- https://github.com/txp-js/txp-graph – Me writing notes on what I’ve tried with sql-to-graphql

Please join me if you want to explore this subject by way of commits and branches and such.

txtstrap (Textpattern + Twitter Bootstrap + etc…)

#18 2020-03-03 12:21:18

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

@whaleen Welcome back! I’ll be following your repos with interest, I’ve been banging the drum for having some sort of GraphQL functionality in Textpattern for a while now (and to replace the old RPC-XML as a valid modern API route) so this sounds great.

#19 2020-07-03 03:14:57

bici
Website Mastodon

ok. i think this is the correct Thread to post in.

So headless or flat file sites seem to be the rage these days.

Background. A couple of weeks ago i used a One Page HTML Bootstrap template to update a plain old html website for a friend. Although it uses JS and some other stuff it was me basically converting her old plain one page website to a more robust and responsive one page website and a slight redesign using new images. This was done because she hopes her nephew will maintain the site in the future as he knows some HTML. In fact he could if he only works on the existing text fields. There are only two html files INDEX and ABOUT.

Then Iin the past two days i decided to explore using Hugo flat file system. I did this for two reasons. one; i thought i could move my friend’s site into Hugo and it might then be easier to manage by her nephew and two; I wanted to see if we could use it for another project where folks would only be able to update content. And the prject leader wanted a basic safe option with no chance of being hacked.

For some reason i thought Hugo would allow for easy content editing by many users. I was wrong. Basically we need to have a service for users to be able to update Hugo content. Which led me to an ah huh! moment.

(Hugo is ok for one user as one develops in localhost and then deploys to the server. useless if one wants many users. for that ine needs another service like Netlify)

I am a big fan of the simple and responsive one page website simple templates and responsive CSS. Ditto for websites with multi pages and articles blogs etc. based on bootstrap themes/templates etc.

Which led me to an ah huh! moment.
I am sure one can leverage Textpattern to be the cms to manage editing, updating, and creating new content.

Should it not be reasonably easy to incorporate bootstrap templates and its code and have TxP used for managing content. In short –– TxP Light. Is my thinking wrong headed? is what i think of doing achievable or wise?

Note: In the many years of doing websites for various people it turns out that almost no one wants to learn to update content. They always ask me to do it.

Q: is there a Markdown editor for Txp?

…. texted postive

#20 2020-07-03 03:19:40

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

bici wrote #324219:

Q: is there a Markdown editor for Txp?

Markdown Extra textfilter for Textpattern 4.6+

#21 2020-07-03 23:19:49

bici
Website Mastodon

michaelkpate wrote #324220:

Markdown Extra textfilter for Textpattern 4.6+

thanks!

I am currently playing with a bootstrapious theme i have downloaded and getting it incorporated into TxP where all content updates/edits will be done. it is basically a one page site. It uses MD so i thought i would try using that editor. Although textile is fine as well.

i just have to figure out how all the articles are output to the various sections. I guess that is done by ID Number?

…. texted postive

#22 2020-07-04 06:46:59

jakob
Admin
Website

bici wrote #324262:

It uses MD so i thought i would try using that editor. Although textile is fine as well.

Yes, for the actual text input from the site author, either should work within the theme.

i just have to figure out how all the articles are output to the various sections. I guess that is done by ID Number?

One way you could do that is to leverage the new pageless sections in txp 4.8.1. A rough scheme could be:

• Make each of the page sections of your one-page site a section. Assign them no page template – the empty option in the dropdown that shows as “None” in the list. That way people can’t call them up via an url.
  • Instead of using page templates, use forms named {section-name}_section (or similar) for each of the page sections.
  • For page sections with one static piece of information, use an article assigned to that section with limit="1" for the content. For page sections with multiple items, e.g. flip-flop panels, grid of services, sliders etc. use articles assigned to that section. Sliders or grids of images you do with images (and their captions), testimonials perhaps with things like links.
  • On the default page template (or whatever you have assigned to the default section), use a “txp:section_list” to output the list of sections in the order you want them, roughly like:
<txp:section_list sections="about,features,services,quote,testimonials,contact" wraptag="section" class="whatever" form='<txp:section />_section' />

That will output each section below the next.

If you want to give different page sections a different colour background, you could do that manually or use jcr_section_custom to add a custom field to the section pane so that users can change the background colour. If you want the users to able to switch around the order of the sections, you could use esq_sectionsort.

And if you have some other sections on the site that aren’t part of the one-page site, e.g. legal infos or a blog section with sub-pages, just create those as regular sections and then use the exclude attribute of txp:section_list to exclude them from the one-page part of the site.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#23 2020-07-04 20:17:03

bici
Website Mastodon

Many thanks @jakob . I have been thinking about how to structure the Txp backend and you have provided some great tips. I was not aware of new pageless sections in txp 4.8.1. I’ll have to review that.

I’ll work on this in my spare time, over the summer … hoping for more out door activities in the next few months!
But i am super excited in getting this to work under Txp. I am sure my friend will find it useful. her current work in progress is at new.renzullofoodmarket … i’ll input that to TxP

Then i will use Txp with another theme that i was going to do in Hugo and which i will now abandon. The pain of CLI and GIT and all the other admin stuff is just not worth it. Uisng the Universal bootstrap theme in TxP is doable

…. texted postive

#24 2020-07-04 20:27:47

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

*cough* pageless sections exposé *cough*

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

Board footer