Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2019-03-26 22:33:25

Destry
Website

wino and co.

I would greatly appreciate any reports on layout problems against modern browsers. I only use FF and Safari, and I’m admittedly bad with font unit sizing. (Struggling to get a good reading size on mobile for old eyes like mine.)

Note also I’m long past caring about graceful fallbacks to old garbage browsers.

Otherwise hit me with what’s clearly broken in the modern age. ;)

Oh, I’ll be slow getting back to this until after Saturday, but don’t hold back in the meantime.

Last edited by Destry (2019-03-26 22:43:23)

#2 2019-03-26 22:55:36

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Re: wino and co.

Using Mac/Safari 12.1, there’s a layout issue when the browser window width goes past about 1780px.

Up to the breakpoint, layout looks great. Past it, the main content div loses its centering.

Both links safe for work.

prnt.sc/n3db21 (working)

prnt.sc/n3dc1r (not working)

I can make a screencast if you want to see it in action.

#3 2019-03-26 23:04:12

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Deliciously modern and vintage à la fois.

#4 2019-03-26 23:36:36

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Destry wrote #317324:

I would greatly appreciate any reports on layout problems against modern browsers. I only use FF and Safari, and I’m admittedly bad with font unit sizing. (Struggling to get a good reading size on mobile for old eyes like mine.)

It works fine in Chrome 73.

The link to wion.com above is broken, though.

#5 2019-03-27 01:27:42

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

gaekwad wrote #317326:

Using Mac/Safari 12.1, there’s a layout issue when the browser window width goes past about 1780px.

Up to the breakpoint, layout looks great. Past it, the main content div loses its centering.

The same thing happens with Firefox and Opera (Chromium). That is normal, as the container(s) have a max-width set.

That is not difficult to fix though. currently the horizontal margins for those containers are set to margin: 0; just change it to auto.

.headwrap, .mainwrap, .footwrap {
	width: auto;
	max-width: 86em;
	padding: 0 3%;
	margin: 0 auto; /* change this */
	}
}

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#6 2019-03-27 03:40:11

bici
Website Mastodon

on my desktop and laptop using chrome safari and ff… no layout issues arose

ps: relative ?

Last edited by bici (2019-03-27 03:41:57)

…. texted postive

#7 2019-03-27 07:40:40

Destry
Website

etc wrote #317328:

Deliciously modern and vintage à la fois.

Perfect. Thank you.

michaelkpate wrote #317329:

link . . . broken

I blame the phone.

phiw13 wrote #317331:

max-width . . . set margin: . . . to auto.

Thank you for saving me the trouble. I knew it would be something with the max-width somewhere.

bici wrote #317332:

relative ?

No. And please don’t encourage that source, or fools will be showing up here. They follow me around like the plague. I think I mentioned it around here somewhere already, but… The summer just before that Indian news agency launched, they contacted me and wanted my web domain and social media accounts. I told them to fack off (but they did actually use one of the domain’s I suggested to them, though maybe coincidence; it wasn’t hard for any techie to come up with).

On Twitter, their employees and star ego reporters weren’t smart enough to know what the difference was between their correct Twitter account and mine, even after I sternly made it clear to them dozens of times. And then most of India had the same problem. Guess what happened? That was my last straw for the Twitter account; facilitating what I was headed for anyway.

The day after I launched the new sites a few days ago, I started getting requests for jobs by hopeful journalists in India. That part of the world is still confusing me with the news company, despite all the obvious signs. I mean, maybe I should send these names to the company and say, hey, you definitely DO NOT want to hire these people; they don’t know their arse from a hole in the ground.

Acronyms, man, they are a killer. Don’t use them.

Needless to say, I’m very paranoid about losing the family jewels.

#8 2019-03-27 16:10:07

bici
Website Mastodon

Destry wrote #317335:

Acronyms, man, they are a killer. Don’t use them.

Needless to say, I’m very paranoid about losing the family jewels.

oops. apologies for stirring up the hornets nest. And all the best in hanging on to them.

…. texted postive

#9 2019-03-27 22:09:42

jakob
Admin
Website

Did you change the topic title, or did I only just notice your joke ;-)

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#10 2019-03-27 22:56:29

bici
Website Mastodon

jakob wrote #317351:

Did you change the topic title, or did I only just notice your joke ;-)

??

…. texted postive

#11 2019-03-28 07:38:34

Destry
Website

Is there a trick for taming contact forms in phones?

It took five days staring at mine thinking the ‘Reasons for contact’ selection field was broken before I realized the list was popping up at bottom. I guess that’s normal, if not exactly clear (evidently).

Perhaps more problematic is that when I type into a text or textarea field, it zooms in to something ridiculous and it just looks and feels like the layout is broken.

I don’t expect to get many messages by phone, or at all (except from hopeful Indian journos), but this is certainly not going to help anyone. Maybe I’m just showing my age? Young people adapt to this behavior easily?

What I think would be better is no zooming in on a field, but just larger text inside the fields, is that possible? Or is this built-in phone tech taking over?

#12 2019-03-28 08:03:12

jakob
Admin
Website

Destry wrote #317358:

… before I realized the list was popping up at bottom. I guess that’s normal, if not exactly clear (evidently).

That’s the standard select box behaviour on iOS.

Is there a trick for taming contact forms in phones? … Perhaps more problematic is that when I type into a text or textarea field, it zooms in to something ridiculous …

iOS will zoom in the page if the form field’s font size is less than 16px. To prevent this, set them to 16px or bigger. This stackoverflow thread describes it in detail.

You can also find mini javascript snippets on the net that prevent autozoom happening too.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

Board footer