Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#97 2019-02-08 17:22:50

Destry
Website

Re: WebFaction joins GoDaddy

Because I know you’re on the edge of your seat this Friday evening…

I have just completed the second of two chat attempts with Rotster support to get this cleared up. The first person kind of repeated the second email status above then I was cut off. I got back to them immediately, a little more annoyed this time, and my message was … better understood.

I recommend that whenever you want to kill an account with any company, make sure they understand exactly your intention, in plain English using the essential key terms, or it will likely not go the way you want. Sadly, this often means direct contact with an agent. The higher up they are, the better. But, you’ll get channeled as they see fit.

In Snotster’s case, it’s clear you have to make your wish known directly with an agent, via phone or chat, not via the dashboard, which was a misleading goose chase.

I basically said this, just as frankly. I recommend you do similar:

‘I don’t want a “downgrade”. I want complete account DELETION. I am an EU resident and exercising my right to request account termination and to be forgotten. When we are done here with this chat. I don’t want to be able to sign in to my old Dotster account dashboard. I don’t want future marketing. I want Dotster to forget I ever existed with no record of me having been here. Are we clear on my request?’

After various kinds of affirmations to my ‘Are you sure?’ follow-ups, I was satisfied and rated the session, which they force you to do every time, giving the support agent (who was probably nowhere near Massachusetts) a good score.

Like an idiot, I forgot to screenshot the chat exchange where all the promises were made. You might want to remember to do that, just in case.

We’ll see. I’m a little afraid to try the dashboard login, in the event it still works. That would bend me all out of shape and ruin the weekend. I’ll give it some grace time first.

#98 2019-02-08 17:49:11

bici
Website Mastodon

Rotster and Snotster — made me laugh!

i just went through a bizarre attempt to delete my 2 day old trial account with HOSTWINDS. (I was actually ready to delete after one hour but thought i should give it a good try. But it just got uglier!)

1) that took over 5 emails to accomplish.
2) what a butt ugly interface to their services.
3) and i am still not certain that i have been deleted.

ugh!

i am in despair … i so miss TextDrive and soon Webfaction, as well.

PS what has happened to hosting providers? Their reputation will soon be worse than drug dealers

…. texted postive

#99 2019-02-08 22:04:33

jakob
Admin
Website

Like an idiot, I forgot to screenshot the chat exchange where all the promises were made. You might want to remember to do that, just in case.

You know that you need to first ask consent to do that ;-)

Glad you managed to get out with your hat Indy Jones style…

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#100 2019-02-18 05:16:33

bici
Website Mastodon

yikes still looking for an alternative to webfaction. Trying A2hosting.com for now, but not sure how long i’ll stay with them.
i am spoiled by the clean, lean, and logical webfaction UI

…. texted postive

#101 2019-02-19 17:22:50

Destry
Website

Bici,

Just noticed these from that site posting the Runet article Colak shared…

• Hetzner, in business since 1997, Germany and Finland. English UI, and claims to be intuitive and good usability.
  • BunnyCDN, a CloudFlare competitor, I guess.

I will definitely keep them in mind for next time. Ha.

#102 2019-02-19 17:45:45

jakob
Admin
Website

Another one for your collection :-) might be namecheap. I don’t have any direct experience of their hosting, only of their domain registration (which is fine) but their hosting packages – https://www.namecheap.com/hosting/shared/ – seem both pretty generous and also quite cheap (whether that’s good I don’t know): the prices at the top are not expensive monthly prices but cheap yearly prices. Alongside the regular LAMP stack and SSH access, the server features (in the drop-downs further down the page) include ruby, node.js and python that is not always on shared servers. In that sense quite similar to Webfaction’s offering. Maybe the disk space isn’t as much as you need. They too have a 30-day money-back guarantee if you feel like testing them.

#103 2019-02-19 20:50:09

bici
Website Mastodon

Destry wrote #316658:

Bici,

Just noticed these from that site posting the Runet article Colak shared…

• Hetzner, in business since 1997, Germany and Finland. English UI, and claims to be intuitive and good usability.
  • BunnyCDN, a CloudFlare competitor, I guess.

I will definitely keep them in mind for next time. Ha.

yeah—-they look good but a bit pricey.

Well, last night i came across webalternative.net a Quebec based hosting provider with co-locations in Europe – Amsterdam and France, and two in N.A. with one being Canada.
I chatted with support and in the end i am giving them a trial run. they use a quirky but very nice CP called DirectAdmin
so far i like the experience… and the price is right! l am hoping that by the end of the weekend i will know if i stay with these folks. I sure hope it works out. it would be nice to have a canada bases company.

PS what i am finding is that none of these so-called services that “review” hosting companies have any clues about the less noisy companies.

Last edited by bici (2019-02-19 21:10:36)

…. texted postive

#104 2019-03-14 02:53:40

bici
Website Mastodon

so. once more: Hope for the Future
some of the dedicated smart folks at webfaction are breaking away and forming a new hosting service

i have signed up to be placed on their waiting list. Even though i am now committed to a2hosting for the next year. I would love to support Opalstack

stay tuned and follow, if interested, here

…. texted postive

#105 2019-03-14 07:22:19

jpdupont

Thank you Bici for this info.
I am afraid that this new structure will not hold in the long term, and that this requires a new change in a more or less short time.
In my search, I found www.fastcomet.com/#hostingPlansPos which has servers in Europe, and which would have interesting features. Does anyone have an info or an experience?

#106 2019-03-14 07:28:43

jakob
Admin
Website

Hi jpdupont! Similar thoughts here. For me, it’s too vague and too late for the moment and I hope to have moved over to a new GB-based host (for the GB-based client) before then.

Weren’t you trying out Infomaniak? How did that go?

#107 2019-03-14 07:52:35

jpdupont

Hi Jakob!

Yes, I took a cloud server at Infomaniak, which I currently pay per quarter, not to commit myself. I installed two WP sites (customers want a standard tool, it is more and more imposed, and Textpattern is unknown for them) working, before switching to the final domain.
  • The installation of LE certificates is not ideal (errors)
  • Depending on the path chosen, the installation of a site is done at the root of the hosting rather than in a clean folder (and we must start again)
  • This makes me think that their Cloud panel programming is not optimal, and the actions are not sufficiently protected (by programming, and help popups explaining the errors)

At the level of the WP backend, while I should have significant resources just for me, the plugins update freeze, the appearance of screens is very slow. I had to go back to WebFaction to work smoothly, and making an exact copy.

Conclusion: I am not convinced.

#108 2019-03-15 09:03:33

jakob
Admin
Website

Thanks for the feedback!

jpdupont wrote #317039:

The installation of LE certificates is not ideal (errors)

I can’t speak for the host but it might not be their ‘fault’: sometimes one’s own .htaccess file can interfere with the Let’sEncrypt validation procedure. On webfaction (and elsewhere too, going by other reports on the net), if all http traffic is redirected to https it can prevent the validation procedure working when a first certificate is created (or when new domains are added to a certificate), because it must necessarily check the .well-known directory using http as there is no prior certificate. The solution there is to add access to the .well-known directory as an exception to the htaccess http-to-https redirect. That could vary from host to host depending on how they’ve implemented it. The htaccess for HTML5Boilerplate details these here.

Depending on the path chosen, the installation of a site is done at the root of the hosting rather than in a clean folder (and we must start again)

Interesting. My usual web host in Germany – all-inkl – doesn’t place any special restrictions, so one could theoretically also end up in that situation. However, I prefer that flexibility as it does mean I can organise sites cleanly in separate folders. Their domain UI is also flexible enough to specify one’s own folders for each domain, including the one that the account was set up with.

The host I’m trialling in GB as a replacement for webfaction (Guru) uses cPanel. It seem that with cPanel the main domain has to go in /public_html and all subsequent add-on domains (as they call them) are by default placed in subfolders of that, which I think is suboptimal*. I’ve tried relocating those to other folders alongside (rather than within) public_html but really I’d also like to change the default web root (public_html) to something else. It seems I can’t do that. Can any cPanel aficionados advise?

*it also makes a subdomain of the main domain for each add-on domain, Ugh. Wish I could prevent that too! Any tips?

Board footer