Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#81 2017-12-01 16:59:32

etc
Developer
Website

Re: aks_cache: Partial caching web pages. SpeedUp your site!

Is your <txp:article_id> closed, i.e. <txp:article_id />?

etc_[ query | search | pagination | date | tree | cache ]

#82 2017-12-01 17:21:23

Manaus
Website

Damn it was article-id >:~)

#83 2019-02-12 23:43:53

gilibaus
Website

I have a website where every week I publish a podcast episode in the form of an article containing some text + an audio player. The old episodes (approximately 100 and counting) remain unchanged. Is it a suitable scenario for aks_cache? Thanks.

Last edited by gilibaus (2019-02-13 08:29:07)

#84 2019-02-13 16:31:27

jakob
Admin
Website

I’m not an expert on this, so maybe someone more knowledgeable can give you a more qualified answer.

However, as I understand it, caching plugins help save pre-rendered page content that doesn’t change much. They save Textpattern going back to the database and processing a page, so their main benefit is in speeding up pages with complex content and lots of database queries. Pages with complex menus or long categorised lists compiled from many posts probably benefit most.

I don’t think it has any benefit for serving files such as audio files, so it’s unlikely to speed that up.

aks_cache is good, but if you make one change to the site, the entire cache is discarded and rebuilt in subsequent site visits. etc_cache is better in this respect in that you can set it only to discard the relevant bit of the cache. I don’t think it works with older versions of textpattern, though.

One thing you need to watch out for when using a caching plugin is to name your cache blocks sensibly for every possible view of a page, e.g. if you can filter your list of articles by category, make sure a separate cache block is created for each category view or you may find the cache blocks your filter from working.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#85 2019-03-10 14:51:51

whocarez
Plugin Author
Website

In textpattern 4.7.3 the design breaks a little bit the options screen of aks_cache – td elements have “vertical-align:middle” associated. With a lot of cached elements the options form is somewhere below and one has to scroll down. A small workaround could be to change

echo <<<EOF
<style type="text/css">
#aks-list td{

to

echo <<<EOF
<style type="text/css">
td{vertical-align:top}
#aks-list td{

Board footer