Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2019-03-08 07:07:36

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Linux

Does anyone have any experience with virtualbox on macs and would you recommend it?

I’m thinking of starting to experiment with linux flavours (starting with fedora) and the software appears to be a good start.

There is also this alternative which I am also considering.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#2 2019-03-08 08:31:29

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Linux

VirtualBox is pretty good (especially with Linux OS / any flavour). MS has somewhere packages of their OS that can be installed straight in VirtualBox, IIRC (I hope they still have …, I might need it soon).

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#3 2019-03-08 10:07:33

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

VirtualBox is great. Occasionally can get a bit tricky if you’re hosting it on non-standard hardware (e.g. audio drivers) but on the whole it does a marvellous job of virtualisation.

Honestly though, unless you really need specific things that Fedora offers, I’d go with Ubuntu as a first dabble. But maybe that’s because I’m more comfortable with .deb and apt-get vs .rpm and yum.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#4 2019-03-08 10:59:32

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

I guess that my first step would be to create bootable USB sticks as they do not mess with my setup. Found this for ubuntu.

This way, I could experiment with both ubuntu and fedora without worrying if I screw up:)

If linux had any good architecture programs I would migrate tomorrow. Unfortunately, what I found are mostly based on autocad which I hate with a vengeance.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#5 2019-03-08 12:33:01

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

colak wrote #316911:

I guess that my first step would be to create bootable USB sticks

Or a bootable CD/DVD if you want to go old skool :)

as they do not mess with my setup

True, they can be run completely standalone as long as you do the boot up dance (hold down Option during power on to select boot device).

But VirtualBox is compartmentalised in a way too. Once the program is installed, you tell it where you want to create the virtual OSs – I just make a dedicated directory to house all the a) ISO files from which I build, and b) the images that VirtualBox creates.

Run through the VBox wizard and install the ISO you obtained and it’ll create a single massive file (e.g. 8Gb made up of the OS itself, plus however much data and swap space you require) in your nominated directory. That’s it – the entire system in one file. It can be booted and used almost exactly like the real OS from within macOS by starting up VirtualBox and clicking on the one you want to start.

Bonus marks (for me) is setting it up so that the target OS runs on a dedicated workspace, e.g. Desktop 2. That way, you fire it up and can switch between operating systems by three-finger swiping left/right on the laptop.

If linux had any good architecture programs I would migrate tomorrow.

Likewise if Linux had any decent music DAWs I’d switch over lock stock. But my goto DAW (StudioOne by Presonus) is Mac/PC only, and audio support on Linux for my studio sound card (ESI Juli@) is non-existent.

Running both StudioOne and hoping the sound card drivers run seamlessly inside a Windows VirtualBox on host Linux won’t be as performant and is likely to glitch unless I beef up my hardware some more (I’m running an Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 with 10GB RAM and an SSD OS disk but it’s not as powerful as I need – even in native Windows – for the number of VST plugins I run! My word, Native Instruments have some amazing VSTs but they sure know how to eat CPU cycles).

Last edited by Bloke (2019-03-08 12:36:01)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#6 2019-03-08 15:16:43

towndock
Website

I can’t comment on actual usage of VirtualBox, but I have used the similar commercial VmWare Fusion on a Mac Mini for years. It is rock solid stable.

This Mac Mini has a few missions, including hosting a weather station that runs on Windows. With some degree of irony, the virtual windows machine layered over a Mac is far more stable than the actual hardware Windows box that preceded it. I’ve also run an instance of Centos under this same Fusion install. Fusion has just run and run 24×7, with no troubles at all.

Board footer