Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#481 2019-01-23 02:01:50

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Re: Txp cookies, visitor logging, and GDPR stuff in general

Late on Monday, Google’s public policy manager Jennifer Bernal said that Google News may be pulled from the EU entirely, according to a report from Bloomberg. Bernal explained that the search giant’s decision would be based on a reading of the final rules and that the company has several options at its disposal. – Google Threatens Pulling News From EU as Disastrous Copyright Legislation Flounders

Hopefully, if it happens, it will work out better than it did in Spain.

#482 2019-01-25 07:52:41

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

There is currently mainly disagreement as to whether or not SMEs (= small and medium-sized enterprises) should be excluded from the reform. Germany is in favour, France against! change.org

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwj-hDvJWM8

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#483 2019-01-27 18:35:25

JimJoe
Website

I guess Voss doesn’t like freedom, purely my opinion.

#484 2019-01-31 08:23:26

Destry
Website

Just when you think Germany might be doing things right.

Meanwhile, it added, Germany’s Telecommunications Surveillance Ordinance (TKÜV) obliges providers to “provide the technical infrastructure necessary for carrying out telecommunications surveillance and to take the organizational measures necessary in this regard to ensure that surveillance can be implemented without undue delay.”

To log-free email provider, Posteo, court rules: You must log user IP addresses.

#485 2019-01-31 08:52:28

colak
Admin

Destry wrote #316370:

Just when you think Germany might be doing things right.

To log-free email provider, Posteo, court rules: You must log user IP addresses.

Doesn’t this go against the new GDPR regulations? My fears from about a year ago are proving to be true.

colak wrote #311026:

In any case, I think that the GDPR will increase rather than decrease surveillance.

Yiannis
——————————

#486 2019-01-31 09:03:52

Destry
Website

colak wrote #316373:

Doesn’t this go against the new GDPR regulations?

I don’t think so. The reg demands that a company like an email provider, but any EU company collecting data, have a full data collection plan available and to be operating by it now. As long as the purpose and retention details are stated clearly in the plan, and can be shown to be honest in the event of an audit, it’s fair game.

The question comes down to, do you really need to collect this info? If so, justify it. For email providors, they might be justified to collect it to help authorities track spammers, criminals, etc. Even Protonmail collects it and provides customers with DCAs, and deletes after some time I think (or I might be confusing WebFaction on that).

Anyway, legit. And especially if your EU-member government tells you too. Posteo was an outlier in that respect, going beyond the call of duty. So it’s to bad about the decision, and, yes, disconcerting about gov overach, again.

#487 2019-01-31 09:52:34

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Destry wrote #316374:

The question comes down to, do you really need to collect this info? If so, justify it. For email providors, they might be justified to collect it to help authorities track spammers, criminals, etc.

Presumably those that slapped Posteo with the ruling have never heard of personal VPNs, which would store a non-identifying IP address anyway.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#488 2019-01-31 10:37:58

colak
Admin

Bloke wrote #316377:

Presumably those that slapped Posteo with the ruling have never heard of personal VPNs, which would store a non-identifying IP address anyway.

Only if the VPN provider does not keep records. This is from last year.

Yiannis
——————————

#489 2019-01-31 10:49:13

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

colak wrote #316380:

Only if the VPN provider does not keep records.

Absolutely. One assumes people who want to operate above the law have done a modicum of homework – at least if they want to minimise the chance of being caught. I’m behind a non-logging VPN now. Guess I must be a terrorist, not a citizen concerned about their privacy being leaked.

Last edited by Bloke (2019-01-31 11:00:48)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#490 2019-01-31 15:48:44

colak
Admin

Bloke wrote #316381:

Guess I must be a terrorist, not a citizen concerned about their privacy being leaked.

Funny you say that:) I understand that privacy, surveillance and the like, are keywords used in the algorithmic profiling from the intel agencies. This forum is screwed:)

Yiannis
——————————

#491 2019-02-01 12:51:12

Destry
Website

colak wrote #316385:

. . . privacy, surveillance and the like, are keywords used in the algorithmic profiling from the intel agencies.

Without a doubt. And it’s all going here. What they don’t say there, but I’ve read elsewhere, is how massive their carbon footprint is too. It’s insane, like a second Dubai. A slight exaggeration only, but you get the picture. They could at least offset the environmental damage by putting the cruise line industries out of business, or something.

Speaking of NSA and UAE… The whole story makes me sick. But then, spies.

#492 2019-02-01 13:06:17

Destry
Website

Bloke wrote #316381:

One assumes people who want to operate above the law have done a modicum of homework . . .

Which reminded me I had an unused ProtonVPN at hand. I installed it yesterday, and it gives me a pretty and interesting missile-command–like map and UI, where I can select different EU whatevers (only one per country on the map, interestingly) and create different profiles, etc. — can even opt for ‘random generation’ on each login. But I’m not sure what I’m really doing there, or how it’s supposed to work.

In principle, I activate the VPN and then all my browsing and emailing and messaging across the house router is smoke-screened?

Board footer