Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#409 2018-06-03 18:32:56

jayrope
Plugin Author
Website Mastodon

Re: smd_tags: unlimited article, image, file and link taxonomy

I now made a fresh test installation of TXP 4.7 with smd_tags 0.6 – the error does NOT appear with the test install. However, while comparing my updated version with the fresh install only reveals, that
the updated version didn’t have four-point-seven installed at first.
.htaccess files are the same.
Even when disabling all plugins but smd_tags, the error on the updated version is persistent.

Last edited by jayrope (2018-06-03 18:33:40)

A hole turned upside down is a dome, when there’s also gravity.

#410 2018-06-06 18:12:39

jayrope
Plugin Author
Website Mastodon

Stef, is there a way to get a hold of you to discuss this?

Thanx much!

#411 2018-06-06 18:21:16

jakob
Admin
Website

Hi jayrope. Maybe it’s worth trying the dev version first. etc added a few small corrections including the one you mentioned in the other thread plus one where default forms were used for container tags instead of the container. Maybe that’s related.

I’ve just updated an older site to the new version of smd_tags and I have it working with the current version (the one on GitHub). I use “filter” too as the trigger word but don’t have it created as an actual section, so I have an url like mydomain.com/bauwerke/filter/tagname where the section is called bauwerke with articles in it tagged with the tags. It works with AND and OR combinations too.

EDIT: my settings are like this:

This is the section of the page template:

<!-- container grid -->
        <div class="grid-container">

<ul class="project-list is-grid">
<txp:smd_if_tag_list>

<txp:smd_related_tags type="article" section="bauwerke" limit="24" break="" form="bauwerke_grid-item" />

<txp:else />

<txp:article_custom section="bauwerke" limit="24" break="" form="bauwerke_grid-item" sort="custom_31 desc" />

</txp:smd_if_tag_list>
          </ul>

</div> <!-- /.container-grid -->

And this is example of one of my tag choosers (I have separate tag lists by parent tag):

<ul>
  <txp:smd_tag_list type="article" parent="bautyp" offset="1" showall="1" wraptag="" break="">
                <li><a href="/<txp:section />/filter/<txp:smd_tag_name title="0" />"><txp:smd_tag_name title="1" /></a></li></txp:smd_tag_list>
              </ul>

And this is where I show the active filter(s):

<txp:smd_if_tag_list>
        <!-- active filters -->
        <div class="tags-container">
          <ul>
            <li>Gefiltert nach: 
              <ul class="tag-list"><txp:smd_tag_list wraptag="" break="" class="">
                <li><a class="tag-link" href="/<txp:section />/filter/<txp:smd_tag_name title="0" />"><txp:smd_tag_name title="1" /></a></li></txp:smd_tag_list>
              </ul>
            </li>
          </ul>
        </div>
</txp:smd_if_tag_list>

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#412 2018-06-06 20:36:53

jayrope
Plugin Author
Website Mastodon

Very happy you discuss this with me, Jakob. Thank you much.
I am digging in the dark, because a fresh install of 4.7.0 works, but an updated 4.62-> 4.7.0 version doesn’t, which makes no sense to me, as anything i compared is literally the same, even including looking through smd_tags’ tables and txp_prefs with PHPMyAdmin and as well htaccess files.
I repaired tables and all that.
All are exactly the same, besides my fresh install uses much less tags and much less articles, as it’s only a test install.

I suppose your github version is smd_tags v0.60-beta.1,
- including the two changes, that were made after release?
I applied the first one, but don’t understand the second one quite.

I use “filter” as trigger section, which does exist in reality, as it holds a tag_results form, that displays a tag tree very similar to example 1 in the help files.

The real weirdness is, that as soon as i enter “filter” into smd_tags’ url_preferences as the target trigger section, then on my updated site i get a 404.
NOT on the fresh install.
Furthermore if i put “smd_tags” instead of “filter”, then i get a tag tree instead of a 404.
But that tag tree would now default single tag lists to “site.com/smd_tags/article/tag_name”, which again produces a 404.
Using “site.com/smd_tags/tag_name” gets me a 404, too.
And again, none of those problems on the fresh install.

The fact that my fresh install works with an exact copy of the scripts and prefs of the updated site tells me, that those are okay.

But somehow the way smd_tags produces it’s tag trees on the updated site conflicts with the way TXP looks for working links here and qualifies them as existing (200) or non-existing (404), the 404 being the normal error_default page form.

And it feels like there is one byte somewhere i don’t know, that’s just flipped, because of a problem during the update process.

I have no clue, where to find this or what to look for, even.
So yes, i try the dev version.

By the way, which theme are you using on your updated site?

Last edited by jayrope (2018-06-06 22:12:53)

#413 2018-06-06 21:08:34

jpdupont

I can not understand the following display error with the latest TXP 4.7.1 and the latest versions of smd_tags 0.60 (PHP Version 7.2.6, on Webfaction). At the same time I have the display of Select list and Text list, whereas I only want Text list :

I deleted the plugin and smd_tags files to start over. I disabled all other plugins, and the error is still there. It disappears when I reinstall version 0.51.

#414 2018-06-06 22:19:55

jakob
Admin
Website

jayrope wrote #312411:

Very happy you discuss this with me, Jakob. Thank you much.
I am digging in the dark, because a fresh install of 4.7.0 works, but an updated 4.62-> 4.7.0 version doesn’t, which makes no sense to me …

I know, it can be frustrating. I went through something very similar today including comparing databases and it turned out my version number in txp_prefs was not properly updated.

I suppose your github version is smd_tags v0.60-beta.1, including the two changes, that were made after release? I applied the first one, but don’t understand the second one quite.

If you mean this change as the first one, and this as the second, they are in effect the same change. That’s just how git merges in a pull request from someone else – you get a commit for the actual change and another one for the merge. There’s only one actual change to make. Also, in that case, it is only necessary to silence the warnings if you are using PHP 7.2.

I use “filter” as trigger section, which does exist in reality, as it holds a tag_results form, that displays a tag tree very similar to example 1 in the help files.

In my case, I don’t have a section matching the trigger word (maybe that’s the cause of interference?), I just have a regular section with tagged articles. The “filter” is listed in the settings pictured above as the trigger, and I construct the url with the trigger word in it.

Furthermore if i put “smd_tags” instead of “filter”, then i get a tag tree instead of a 404.

With the settings above, I get a 404 with smd_tags in place of filter. I also have only article tags, so I haven’t had the need to handle tag types.

By the way, which theme are you using on your updated site?

I’m using my own site design from the previous site.

When you do an upgrade, the update routine brings in the existing page templates, forms and styles and collects them in a theme which is given the name “default”. That is, of course, different for each site, so to avoid confusion later, one of the first things I do after an upgrade is rename it.
When you do a fresh install, there’s no existing theme to bring over, so the new theme is called four-point-seven. If you choose “zero” during installation you can start from nothing but your site doesn’t do anything to start with.

#415 2018-06-07 07:45:52

jpdupont

I just did the following test:

• On a new site,
  • install the latest dev version of Textpattern.
  • Only additions installed:
    • ied_plugin_composer (to upload smd_tags as a php file)
    • and smd_tags.

Theme Hive by default.
No change in the settings.

Exactly the same problem as above.

#416 2019-01-13 17:50:54

jayrope
Plugin Author
Website Mastodon

So, Jakob, i try again in 2019, using 4.7.2.

Now noticed, that the version i used was in no way the beta from the github. It was labelled 0.60 but probably originated from Stef’s website.

I now installed the github version but getting a an error
@Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ‘<’, expecting end of file in /home/kliklak/public_html/infra/textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php(1870) : eval()’d code on line 1@
In fact i get this error on any page on the whole site, when i use the github version.
The error stays the same, regardless if i apply the commit/correction, that came after the latest release, or not.

The error remains. I am looking through your remarks and find it interesting, that you don’t need a landing section, and all URL management entries say “filter”. I had never thought about changing the standard entries in there and only used “filter” as a landing section following the tag tree example from the docs.
I think i don’t quite understand how this plugin operates at all. Any landing section that is mentioned in URL management, results in a 404, regardless if the section actually exists or not. Any real existing section, that calls a page with the tag skripts, shows a tag tree, provided, that this section isn’t listed as a landing section in URL management prefs.
But that isn’t very interesting, because the tag trees single tags will have to use that landing section and again result in a 404, when trying to display the single articles belonging to the respective tag.

Something is completely effed there.

The ride through the weird continues. But otherwise all is well and Happy New Year!

(Edited for my own mistakes…)

Last edited by jayrope (2019-01-13 18:58:53)

#417 2019-01-13 18:04:14

jayrope
Plugin Author
Website Mastodon

Just asking, jpdupont, did you install the textpack as well?

Last edited by jayrope (2019-01-13 18:04:31)

#418 2019-01-13 20:36:31

jakob
Admin
Website

jayrope, I’m pressed for time to go into it in detail so I’ve sent you a mail with my details about my setup… perhaps that is some help…

#419 2019-01-17 08:56:43

Vienuolis
Website GitHub GitLab Twitter

Hi taxonomy masters. Could you point me please to some examples of public websites with live smd_tags?

I am starting a new project for an indoeuropean etymology dictionary with decay grammar — not very large, only what I managed to prove. The native features of Textpattern are sufficient for this task, although I am fascinated by many wonderful capabilities of the plugin. How it deploys or replaces the categories, how to combine it with the search function?

1. Is it possible to avoid the word ‘category’, ‘c’ or its substitute, forming taxonomy URL /cat1/cat2/ insted of /category/cat1/ and /category/cat2/ for lists, but retaining /title-only URL scheme for articles?
  2. How many MySQL tables would be added, how much the database is growing?

#420 2019-01-17 09:47:43

jakob
Admin
Website

Vienuolis wrote #316163:

Is it possible to avoid the word ‘category’, ‘c’ or its substitute, forming taxonomy URL /cat1/cat2/ insted of /category/cat1/ and /category/cat2/ for lists, but retaining /title-only URL scheme for articles?

I think that as it is now a trigger word in the url is needed in some form or other but you can change that to what you want. Your articles can have their regular URL. While I’ve not tried it with /title-only, it certainly works with /section/title.

The url scheme I have is www.domain.com/section/trigger-word/tag1+tag2;tag3+… where + denotes and and ; denotes or, but you can change those as well as the trigger-word in the interface panel.

I can imagine that if you want both /tag urls and /title-only article urls, you’ll have the risk of naming collisions. My guess is you’d need to write a plugin of your own that hooks into the url handling routine and checks if an article exists and if not passes it on the tag handling… but I’ve never tried that. It may need some modifications to smd_tags if that happens to hook into the url handling first…

How many MySQL tables would be added, how much the database is growing?

It adds three tables, smd_tags for the taxonomy, smd_tags_cat (for linking tags to categories) and smd_tags_used for the tags used in the articles (full gory details here).

My own use cases have not been so extensive, so the impact on the database size has been negligible.

How it deploys or replaces the categories, how to combine it with the search function?

I’ve not used it in combination with categories but the docs say you can link them, or import tags from categories. For combining tags into the site search, you’ll need to build your own extra queries using etc_search. Oleg had a tip somewhere in the forum.

One further note: if you need more complex tag combination handling in your UI, you may find you need to develop your own code to selectively remove one tag from a combination of tags or change and/or parameters. If I recall correctly, there’s not a an url-trigger to remove a tag from a tag combination.

Board footer