Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2018-12-28 17:17:25

craigbass76

Moving From Wordpress

Is there any kind of “bird’s eye view” explanation anywhere to help folks coming from Wordpress? I moved my site from TP to WP over ten years ago, and now I’m moving it back, but I’ve forgotten a lot, and things (themes anyone?) are quite a bit different anyway. Really all I remember is seeing the default yellow menu bar…

If there is no such guide, or there’s a mothballed one, I’m game for writing one or dusting the old one off.

#2 2018-12-28 17:36:10

jakob
Admin
Website

Re: Moving From Wordpress

Earlier versions of txp had a wp importer but as the Wordpress db format grew more complex, the importer no longer matched and it was dropped. So moving stuff over is quite a manual process, I fear. The amount of work may depend on how complex your site is.

Nicolas has written some dev notes on moving from wp to txp – more as a reference helper for wp developers trying to find equivalent functions in textpattern theming and plugin writing.

The last time I moved over a larger wp site, I scraped the wp site / xml export file and used Data Extractor to pull out what I wanted into a csv file that I then massaged into the correct textpattern, txp_image, etc. table formats and imported them. Then I used netcarver’s mass textile plugin to batch textile the body and excerpt fields. It was pretty fiddly but quicker than cut and paste for a lot of articles.

Maybe someone else has a better tip for you?

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#3 2018-12-28 17:39:35

craigbass76

I was planning on doing it the hard way, but was more wondering “Do sections = categories, articles = posts” and so forth

#4 2018-12-29 08:48:44

jakob
Admin
Website

Very briefly, articles are the equivalent of both pages and posts in WP.

In Textpattern:

• sections segment content under different, separate headings: an article can belong to only one section. Typically, these are equivalent to menu items, i.e. about, projects, services… and are reflected in the page url as /about, /projects, /services.
  • categories are attributes of an article that apply across sections. Typically you use these to filter a list of articles to those belonging to a category, e.g. the kinds of project or the topics of a blog. Out of the box, Textpattern has two categories per article. Plugins are needed to have more per article. Tagging is similar in principle, but not built into Textpattern, and also requires a plugin.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

Board footer