Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2018-12-13 13:16:57

Destry
Website

New news?

I like what I see and here so far with this expansion of De Correspondent out of The Netherlands — The Correspondent. This funding campaign is for a new web presence, I guess. Their slow and considered news approach with no ads or advertorials is exactly what is needed in this hyped-up micro-post society we live in now. Though, I have to say, the sell of this effort reminds me a lot of the ‘we are you’ gloss used in the Vox push in 2011. Not saying that’s bad, on the contrary, but it’s not exactly fresh either. We’ll see what happens.

I hope climate and infosec is a common theme in their coverage, but I’m not really sensing that. Maybe what we need is more of these kinds of ad-free and deliberate news operations specializing on certain subjects, particularly as its pitch is to be a conversation with the audience. If that’s the case, we can see general-interest audiences, which would not get my money, and special-interest communities, which is more likely to stay funded by a dedicated readership and can scale accordingly.

#2 2018-12-13 14:54:56

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Re: New news?

Destry wrote #315566:

Though, I have to say, the sell of this effort reminds me a lot of the ‘we are you’ gloss used in the Vox push in 2011.

In 2005, Athletics Nation started, exclusively covering the Oakland Athletics Major League Baseball Team.

Eventually it evolved into Sportsblog Nation with blogs covering all the major league teams and eventually other sports.

In 2011, they hired a bunch of Engadget employees who left en masse and started The Verge. And SBNation became Vox Media.

In 2014, they launched Vox when wunderkind Ezra Klein got mad that the new owner of the Washington Post, Jeff Bezos, declined to hand him boatloads of cash.

In 2015, they sold out to Comcast.

And in 2018, they started laying off staff.

#3 2018-12-13 15:52:45

Destry
Website

Re: New news?

Well, it was an American company, started on baseball. What do you expect? They were just doing it by the American numbers.

De Correspondent has a pretty good track record so far in The Netherlands. I wouldn’t predict their handling yet, personally.

If I was cynical about anything at this point, it’s that they want to expand into the US. That’s definitely the first mistake.

Board footer