Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2018-11-18 19:15:09

detail
Website

Re: Upgrade 4.5.7? > 4.7.1

jakob wrote #315179:

That’s not so bad. You asked us before here.

And if you need a hand with auto search-replacing in your DB, you can also ask one of us.

Thanks Jakob. You guys are extremely helpful. For someone completely self-taught I would be lost otherwise.

I have changed three simple single webpage sites relatively easily.

It’s the 1000+ webpage site with a number of txp pages for different sections that I’m procrastinating about. (Avoiding lists of conditionals seemed easier at the time. 13 sections!!)

#14 2018-11-22 01:55:47

detail
Website

As it turned out there was another issue with this upgrade.

Clear that txp 4.7.1 is stricter about the code than earlier iterations because a few sections of a 13 section website weren’t displaying properly. No menu for a start.

Only 394 lines of code to check, and compare to a similar number that worked.

Eventually after much tugging of my hair, oh, that’s not right, I don’t have any, it turned out to be a stray <txp:else /> that earlier versions had ignored.

Finally staggered over the line and it is all displaying as intended once again.

4.7.1 still seems to be able to cope with the odd non-closing <p>.

But not <txp:else />.

#15 2018-11-22 14:14:28

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

detail wrote #315383:

4.7.1 still seems to be able to cope with the odd non-closing <p>. But not <txp:else />.

The parser doesn’t care much about regular HTML tags – they’re just filler as far as it’s concerned. But it will kick up a fuss over any mismatching or badly-formed Textpattern / plugin tags. And as you are finding, incorrect <txp:else /> tags are its speciality!

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

Board footer