Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2018-11-17 12:20:51

GugUser

Re: Offline Documentation

With the Download Manager of the iCab Browser you can download the whole docs.textpattern.com/ set and the URLs will work locally.

#14 2018-11-17 18:12:23

mrdale
Website

philwareham wrote #315339:

You can build a working local site from the repo if you run a few command line instructions.

Can you list these commands? I checked out jekyl which seems pretty darn useful.

I would, however, need to do a few things to get it working offline – change the URLs to relative URLs (which is probably a good thing anyway) and bundle the CSS and JavaScript (as it uses those directly from our main site for my ease of development).

I did use sitesucker and grabbed both docs.textpattern.com and textpattern.com (which gave me the assets folder) Sitesucker took care of the relative links, so now I have an offline equivalent, and have thrown my students at it.

How does the search function work? ie can it be made to operate in an offline environment?

#15 2018-11-18 07:57:25

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

The search is fine with JavaScript (because Jekyll is a flat fine system there is no database to search so this is the best option – not great but it works). Again, if I bundle the CSS and JS it should work offline.

#16 2018-11-18 16:53:41

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

I like the way the phplist team is actually distributing their manuals. Admittedly, I hate the layout and graphics of their epub though.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#17 2018-12-18 14:28:03

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

There’s an existing issue to bundle up the docs into offline format, though I haven’t made much headway with it recently.

#18 2019-12-03 23:52:04

mrdale
Website

Can you detail how to build this with Jekyll. I can handle the relative link bit.

philwareham wrote #315339:

Yes I used Jekyll for the site as that is what runs GitHub Pages. You can build a working local site from the repo if you run a few command line instructions.

I would, however, need to do a few things to get it working offline – change the URLs to relative URLs (which is probably a good thing anyway) and bundle the CSS and JavaScript (as it uses those directly from our main site for my ease of development).

I can look at some of the above next week sometime.

#19 2019-12-04 10:55:42

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Hi Dale, this article seems to describe the process pretty well:

help.github.com/en/github/working-with-github-pages/testing-your-github-pages-site-locally-with-jekyll

Note you’ll need Ruby (and Bundler) installed on the local machine. You can check if Ruby is installed already by going to your terminal and typing the following:

ruby -v

#20 2019-12-05 15:59:00

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

BTW I have just made all the URLs within the docs Jekyll site work on local installs (absolute paths instead of absolute URLs now).

Board footer