Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2018-11-16 13:22:07

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

[Solved] Textile lists go haywire sometimes

Does anyone know why Textile sometimes screws up simple numeric or bullet lists and renders things like:

1. item 1
2. item 2

# item 3

4. item 4

Deleting the ‘#’ marks and newlines/spaces surrounding the broken entry, then typing them in again and saving the article usually fixes it. Merely saving again doesn’t. Does the same with asterisk lists sometimes too… but not all the time.

It does it in Txp articles and on the forum here for me occasionally, and also when compiling plugins from the command line via zem_tpl.php. Totally weird.

I can’t pinpoint when it started (what version of Textile) nor the circumstances under which it does it as it seems to be random… though I guess it can’t be and I just haven’t spotted the pattern yet.

If anybody experiences this and can help shed some light on when it occurs then maybe we can narrow it down and submit a bug report to Textile. As it stands, there’s no discernible Steps To Reproduce so isn’t much use to Textile devs.

Thanks.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#2 2018-11-16 14:08:48

uli

Re: [Solved] Textile lists go haywire sometimes

Bloke wrote #315314:

Deleting the ‘#’ marks and newlines surrounding the broken entry, then typing them in again and saving the article fixes it.

Can it be excluded that this has something to do with the clipboard, e.g. do you use some utility that has any influence on your clipboard? Perhaps the system’s own process of converting the clipboard while copying e.g. from Word here and pasting elsewhere is sufficient already? Is there maybe a difference between \n and \r? I for one had problems with some invisible characters irregulary slipping in and making login forms a major hurdle sometimes. Not with Textile lists, admitted, but the process to cure the problem reminded me).

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#3 2018-11-16 14:27:38

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

That’s a good point, but as far as I recall this also happens when typing lists into a fresh article/forum post. Hidden control characters and Microsoft junk could well account for problems if pasting so it’s something to bear in mind.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#4 2018-11-16 21:41:30

jakob
Admin
Website

To be honest, I’ve not seen that up to now…

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#5 2018-11-17 06:49:29

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

As my response earlier this is an issue for me too. I can not replicate it but it randomly does occur.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#6 2018-11-20 21:21:24

singaz

In txp 4.7.1 with Textile – the problem.

Paragraph p>. does not work.

I should write like this: <p style=“text-align:right;”>my text</p>

Sorry my horror English. I’m learning textpattern, I’m learning English

#7 2018-11-21 00:23:02

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

singaz wrote #315366:

In txp 4.7.1… Paragraph p>. does not work.

It works for me in 4.7.2-dev so if it doesn’t work for you in 4.7.1 then maybe the bug is fixed in the later Textile version?

#8 2018-11-21 13:20:09

singaz

Bloke wrote #315367:

It works for me in 4.7.2-dev so if it doesn’t work for you in 4.7.1 then maybe the bug is fixed in the later Textile version?

Oh! Already available version 4.7.2?
I did not know.
I will try.

#9 2018-11-21 13:21:00

singaz

Bloke, thank you!

#10 2019-01-24 11:50:04

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

I think this may be solved. PEBKAC.

The solution is NOT to render a non-breaking space instead of a regular space when typing out lists. This is easy to do by mistake on keyboards without a dedicated hash key as (on Mac for example) the key for ‘#’ is Option+3 and the key for non-breaking space is Option+space. Holding down Option key to type the hash and then not releasing the modifier key quick enough may mean the space character typed immediately afterwards is of the non-breaking variety.

Thank you to phiw13 for pointing this out. I’ll get back in my box.

Board footer