Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#37 2018-11-08 21:20:01

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: Admin Search not working anymore since 4.7.0

etc wrote #315104:

It’s an update from 4.6.2, with Umlauts in the db :-)

Nice sleuthing, thank you. I like that this is becoming more deterministic. Maybe during the conversion process to utf8mb4 (or during an ALTER TABLE operation) some encoding has taken place which screws up the FULLTEXT search? Or something causes that to clash with the collation such that searching the table does so in a non-binary way and MySQL is coming unstuck and shrugging its shoulders.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#38 2018-11-08 21:36:04

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Dunno. Uli site is working, so, at least txp is Hosteurop compatible. We use FULLTEXT on the public side, and it seems to work for everybody in this thread. And this is plain weird.

#39 2018-11-08 21:39:02

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

etc wrote #315112:

We use FULLTEXT on the public side, and it seems to work

Oh yeah, good point. That is very odd.

So how does, say, an article search query on the public side differ from the same search on the admin side, in terms of dumping the actual query?

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#40 2018-11-08 21:44:22

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

I think we order by MATCH(columns) AGAINST search_term on the public side, but not on the admin side. No trace of other use of FULLTEXT.

#41 2018-11-08 21:48:03

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

etc wrote #315116:

I think we order by MATCH(columns) AGAINST search_term on the public side, but not on the admin side.

I wonder then if that construct internally converts the search to binary (or vice versa, converts it from a regular binary to non-binary) or boolean which means one matches fine where the other – more strict – search fails. Or maybe the act of using the FULLTEXT index in one search works but on the admin side where we don’t use it, the match is being treated verbatim or something. Clutching at straws…

Last edited by Bloke (2018-11-08 21:50:01)

#42 2018-11-08 21:50:35

uli

In case it would make a difference: The first installation was done with 4.4.1 or 4.5.5, can’t remember. Then updated to 4.6.0 and to 4.6.2. Skipping maybe some smaller updates somewhere between, but never skipping a decimal after the leading 4.

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#43 2018-11-08 21:58:34

uli

I still have Deans front side layout, that might give someone a clue.

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#44 2018-11-09 09:28:42

Kris

I have to admit that our update path was very rough.
There hasn’t been any changes to the backend for many years before I took over. In fact, they were running on txp_4.0.6 until Host Europe recently shut down PHP 5.6 and the side vanished.

I tried to follow the instructions to update to txp_4.2.0 first but even though I was able to connect to our webspace over ftp using FileZilla and copied all 4.2.0 files, I wasn’t able to log-in on the admin side to trigger the installation – everything was still blank. (reason: no PHP 7 support?!)
Then I tried to upgrade to txp_4.7.1 directly and also failed.
Then I looked for the oldest possible version of txp to support PHP 7 so that the admin panel at least will be displayed. I found txp_4.6.0 to be the first version with PHP 7 support. After copying all files (except some themes that failed to copy) I was able to successfully log-in on the admin page and trigger the update.
Subsequently, I updated to 4.7.1 with only minor issues (same themes didn’t copy to the webspace – a very minor problem for us).

Is there a way to check if phpMyAdmin meets all requirements (e.g. allows indexing, etc.. ) of the new txp? I only found the option to enable or disable “external access” and set a password.

I am also pretty sure that this article search issue is not related to special German characters.
On front-end: I can search for article titles including “Umlaut” without problem.
On back-end: I can’t search for anything as soon as the search facet “title,…” is enabled. (also not for section/category names that don’t include any Umlaut as long as this facet is enabled)

#45 2018-11-09 13:22:25

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Kris wrote #315127:

I have to admit that our update path was very rough.

Yeah, sorry for the hassle. Like you say, if the PHP version has already been upped to 7, then you have no choice but to jump straight to Txp 4.6+ since anything beforehand will not work.

I am also pretty sure that this article search issue is not related to special German characters. On front-end: I can search for article titles including “Umlaut” without problem. On back-end: I can’t search for anything as soon as the search facet “title,…” is enabled.

It might mot be related per se to umlaut characters but there’s definitely something squiffy. I can write a post containing non-English characters in my site and it’ll find stuff no problem. I wrote a post containing the word “umlaüt” and I can even search for that word or the vanilla “umlaut” and it’ll find it!

But there does seem to be something odd when a site that has non-English characters is upgraded OR because the site uses a collation or character set that causes the admin-side search (which I don’t think uses the FULLTEXT index) to break.

It’s most odd.

Board footer