Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2018-08-23 20:28:55

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: Textpattern users meet up - remote video & text chat conference

[X] Hell yes.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#14 2018-08-27 11:52:04

planeth
Plugin Author
Website

[X] Yes, I am interested and
[X] yes I am enthusiastic about the idea!

+1 for having a list of topics. Even if we allow ourselves to diverge at some point.

#15 2018-08-28 16:56:03

savvasal
Website

[X] Yes, I am interested
[X] I can test the technology and infrastructure beforehand

#16 2018-09-05 15:19:10

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Wow! Thank you all for your responses and interest!

I am starting to map out the technology for the testing phase of this, which currently includes a self-hosted instance of Rocket.Chat with integration of Jitsi Meet underneath the textpattern.com umbrella.

Both of these platforms are open source, have desktop and mobile device applications available, and are actively maintained/used.

Depending on the outcome of the technical tests, I am debating leaving the infrastructure in place all the time, so ad-hoc Textpattern discussions/meetings can take place in real time.

Regarding privacy, I will provide a privacy policy before the testing phase begins so you know what will happen to your comments, etc. This may be identical to the existing privacy policy but I will confirm nearer the time.

Timescale: finish all (or nearly all) the Textpattern site migration during September, testing for Textpattern Live begins in October.

#17 2018-11-06 17:08:23

Destry
Website

Maybe this is a good place to carry on with a complex of related topics…

jakob wrote #315015:

The magazine and tips serve similar functions but have different formats. They also overlap with but also augment the docs. Doing the txptips site transfer, and also updating the textpattern.org site to 4.7 recently, where there are also many tips and articles (albeit mostly outdated), made me think that there are number of new things in txp 4.7 that would make good content for magazine articles (e.g. building a theme, making a multi-site installation, working with flat files…) and number of smaller things that would also make good tips (like the new tags and 4.7 tricks like those Oleg has shown us). Maybe we can tie the mag, tips and docs together a bit more…

Perhaps this could be an agenda item for that pending (virtual) txp-meetup :-)

That does indeed sound like a good TextMeat discussion topic.

(Btw, Dean Allen used to call these things ‘TextMeets’. I think he only ever managed to get a couple face-to-face events together by wherever he happened to be flying to, but I for one would vote for keeping that label. It works.)

And I think you’re right, Jakob, there are writing possibilities, and need for refinements.

In a nutshell:

• Txp Blog = Txp Foundation news (ideally)
  • TXP Mag = Long(er)-form editorial types (as before, nudge this way or that, community-oriented)
  • TXP Tips = Short-form tutorials beyond/extending core (for people under the gun; get in and out quick stuff; total expository, concise, bulleted, bit-size)
  • User Docs = Out-of-box core user documentation only (i.e. the manual that ships with the software)
  • .org = Renamed ‘Textpattern Plugins’ and rebuilt for that sole focus (should have been done a decade ago, at least; implications for looking at forum’s role in plugins too, again)

Speaking for the Mag only at this point, and not to jump the Textmeet gun, but…

The problem with editorial (especially long-form; exciting community stuff), as ever, is: who’s going to do the writing? ;) You may recall from 5 years ago, at the end, much of the writing effort was increasingly on the editor’s shoulders, which makes Jack a dull boy, and not really where an editor should be spending most their time.

Maybe a mag site pep up and at least one solid Issue 5 for old times sake would be doable. Beyond that, though, I’d be the first to say a new team of column editors plus contributing authors would have to assembled and secured or it won’t have legs for more. Also a new chief editor would be needed for producing Issue 6 onward. I have other aspirations, personal goals; chasing futile dreams before I drop. I want to write a lot, but just not about Textpattern anymore. (Though there’s one big ace up my sleeve.)

More grist for the Textmeet.

#18 2018-11-07 21:03:21

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

gaekwad wrote #313841:

Timescale: finish all (or nearly all) the Textpattern site migration during September, testing for Textpattern Live begins in October.

Yes, I missed the October window — I have not forgotten, real life has delayed…everything.

It will happen, just not during October, clearly. I will provide more news when I can.

#19 2018-11-08 00:08:01

Destry
Website

That was no pressure from me, Pete. I was just keeping related notes in context. In fact, a first-quarter 2019 meeting is probably a realistic soonest for me. But definitely don’t plan anything around me. This is a whatever works for the majority.

#20 2018-11-08 00:15:15

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

No pressure implied, really. I’m mindful that my schedules have slipped, and that doesn’t really sit well with me. And it’s late. And I’m probably over-thinking stuff after a long day.

Board footer