Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2018-11-05 17:19:01

uli

Re: Admin Search not working anymore since 4.7.0

My offer is still valid, you can test 4.7.on my webspace.

Thanks again this way here, Stef!

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#26 2018-11-05 20:34:59

jayrope
Plugin Author
Website Mastodon

Okay, the error i have here is appearing in the backend in the search window of content->articles.

Browser console doesn’t show any post.php or so, simply nothing.
demoncleaner, did you update from a version pre 4.2.0 to 4.7.1?
Because definately what i forgot to do, when updating from 4.0.5 to 4.7.1 directly is going through 4.2.0 first.
Stef, i was told you know what kind of errors one could face, when mistakenly going this path?
And Uli, i think my unconventional update process includes too many possible variations to try your nice offer.

Otherwise similarities on this error upon searching in the backend include hosting by Hosteurope and php fucntion syslog disabled. JSON 1.6.0 is loading here, says phpini.php.
sms_where_used_0.30 works here instead.

Last edited by jayrope (2018-11-05 20:46:56)

A hole turned upside down is a dome, when there’s also gravity.

#27 2018-11-05 22:20:34

jakob
Admin
Website

So, to clarify:

1. public-side searching is working?
  2. admin-side searching with smd_where_used is working?
  3. admin-side searching on the articles panel is not working? Or only with some search settings?

Have you tried to truly-absolutely-certainly clear your cache so that it’s not loading an old version of textpattern.js? I’ve found the most recent version of safari (if you’re using that) to be quite stubborn and using “Einstellungen › Datenschutz › Website Daten verwalten -> type your domain in the search box, then delete everything that shows in the list” to be absolutely effective where other methods failed. Maybe make double-sure with your browser of choice.

@stef, oleg: Another loose idea: might perhaps an incomplete update process (that perhaps happens often with this hosting configuration) have led to improper table indexes being left over?

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#28 2018-11-05 22:40:33

jayrope
Plugin Author
Website Mastodon

jakob wrote #314993:

So, to clarify:

1. public-side searching is working?
  2. admin-side searching with smd_where_used is working?
  3. admin-side searching on the articles panel is not working? Or only with some search settings?

It seems, that now i am sort of hijacking demoncleaner’s thread…
however, the website i updated has no public search, so i will have to set one up yet. Should I?

However, regarding 2. and 3.,
2. yes, is working, and
3. yes, not working at all. There isn’t even a result message.

I am certain that my cache has been emptied numerous times now as well :)

Last edited by jayrope (2018-11-05 22:41:55)

A hole turned upside down is a dome, when there’s also gravity.

#29 2018-11-05 22:56:07

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

uli wrote #314983:

My offer is still valid, you can test 4.7.on my webspace.

I could tomorrow.

#30 2018-11-05 23:23:41

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

jayrope wrote #314994:

[article search] not working at all. There isn’t even a result message.

If there are no results you should get a message saying ‘No results’ in some language. If you’re not seeing that, it’s definitely something we need to look into.

But just to be absolutely sure, your search options are set to search all facets of the article – all checkboxes on, or at least one of them on? ‘Cos when you click through from other panels (such as the Sections panel to view articles) it turns most of the checkboxes off.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#31 2018-11-05 23:33:59

uli

etc wrote #314995:

I could tomorrow.

You have mail from my forum address.

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#32 2018-11-07 18:56:08

Kris

Bloke wrote #314997:

But just to be absolutely sure, your search options are set to search all facets of the article – all checkboxes on, or at least one of them on?

I could provide feedback regarding public search because we already have it integrated. For us, the public search for articles (incl. title) works without problems. (We run a small online shop for beverages using yab_shop plug-in)
On the admin side, “search” doesn’t work properly but we have to access all products stored as articles everytime we need to update prices so a working search functionality on the admin side is crucial. I played around with it:

If I turn all checkboxes on and use searchwords that I know are part of our section/category names, I get the message “Es liegen keine Ergebnisse vor” (=“there are no results”). If I uncheck the search facet “title, …” and use the same searchwords, I get normal results but obviously I can’t search for titles now.
Unfortunately, the search facet “title, …” is the most importent facet for us in order to keep our onlineshop running&updated.

EDIT: We’ve also been forced to update textpattern because Host Europe shut PHP 5.6 down.

Last edited by Kris (2018-11-07 18:58:54)

#33 2018-11-07 21:16:51

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Kris wrote #315057:

If I uncheck the search facet “title, …” and use the same searchwords, I get normal results but obviously I can’t search for titles now.

Thank you for the excellent feedback that echoes what others have experienced. A few things off the top of my head we could work through and eliminate:

• A common factor here may be non-English database content or collations. Things work fine for me with English search terms on English content. Does it specifically affect German? Anyone care to do some tests?
  • UTF8 might be a factor since we moved to utf8mb4. Or an incompatible collation. Dumping the textpattern table structure (DESCRIBE textpattern should do the trick?) and comparing it to, say, mine might give us some clues.
  • Something up with the Fulltext index on the textpattern table. Again, comparing indexes between working and non-working DBs might help.
  • Article corruption on upgrade. I’ve seen this before but it generally manifests itself on the public site. Articles just don’t show up but simply viewing it on the admin side and resaving each affected article makes them appear again. I wonder if a similar thing (resaving a few articles and searching for known words in them) might reveal any information.

Lots to think about and try. Anyone with a broken title/body/excerpt search, please see how many of these we can try so we can hone in on the problem. Thank you.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#34 2018-11-08 18:37:07

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

We have uploaded 4.7.2 on Uli’s Hosteurope server and it seems to work. I’m pretty confident 4.7.1 would too. Mystery…

#35 2018-11-08 19:50:23

jakob
Admin
Website

etc wrote #315099:

We have uploaded 4.7.2 on Uli’s Hosteurope server and it seems to work. I’m pretty confident 4.7.1 would too. Mystery…

Is that a new install or an update? It sounds like all the above reported cases are updated earlier versions? Can a failed or incomplete update have skipped some of the db index changes?

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#36 2018-11-08 20:03:20

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

It’s an update from 4.6.2, with Umlauts in the db :-) We have not tried to update from pre-4.6. The admin-side search does not seem to use indexes anyway, though I’m not sure. A strange case.

Board footer