Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2018-11-04 08:41:18

svecis

Plugin to drag and drop images into "write-tab"

Hi,

is there a plugin to drag and drop images into the “write-tab”.

I already downloaded bunch of them, but they dont seem to work in any way.

If I drop the image, it will not in any way be uploaded. Would be a cool feature.

If you know another editor which supports this feature, then I would use it as well.

Using latest Chrome and win10 and java script is active.

#2 2018-11-04 13:34:18

svecis

Re: Plugin to drag and drop images into "write-tab"

Okay from what I’ve now understand, there are a few plugin which kind a work, but they are really not very helpful, if you ask me.

For example:

abc_article_image
abl_droploader (doesn’t work at all)

But both are not like FB or Twitter style, where you can directly enter the images into the editor and they will be there somewhere, depending on the mouse position, where you have dropped the image.

I mean, the editor summernote for example is able to do that. (But without having any real setting, what you want to do with second and N-Child pictures like smaller in three rows or pictures down on down).

#3 2018-11-04 13:45:17

svecis

Now even tested Tom WE Editor and the drag and dropping images is kind of same like in the other plugins and for me even more complicated abc_article_image.

The problem is, if I have to select the image, then I can select the file. I mean, if textpattern is really a blogging software, how can this be, that the editor is really so easy editor without any functionallity.

Isn’t there a plugin which will directly add the image in the editor under the text you have dropped the image????

Last edited by svecis (2018-11-04 13:48:29)

#4 2018-11-04 13:52:24

svecis

I cannot really believe, even Twitter and Facebook, which I wanted to avoid have more extras, than a cms extra dedicated for bloggin. Such a waste of time.

#5 2018-11-04 15:51:31

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

svecis wrote #314952:

Such a waste of time.

Thanks for the vote of confidence :-)

We’ve tended to shy away from this in the core because there are loads of different ways to accomplish it, and it depends on your needs and workflow. Someone might want to add a couple of images at the end of the article. Or, like you, inline at the caret. Someone else might want a complete photo blog. Someone else might want to link images, others might want captions and alt text to be added on upload. Some want to see thumbnails, others don’t. And someone else will say “if i can attach images, why can’t I attach videos or audio files by dragging?” and so on.

So traditionally we’ve left this to plugins to fill the gaps. Unfortunately, as you found, the authors of such plugins have not updated them for the most recent version of Textpattern yet.

We have plans to improve the Images panel – it has so far always been pushed to the back burner. When this panel is improved it should make it easier for us or plugins to offer all manner of attachment functionality. It’s just not had our full focus yet.

If it’s functionality you expect in the base product then you’re not alone. But equally, the lightweight nature of the platform appeals to others. We take great consideration about adding such things so it can service as many people as possible instead of just fixing it for one type of end use case. We don’t take the kitchen sink approach to CMS nirvana.

For now, try posting in the plugin thread of the solution that most fits your needs, or describe in a thread exactly what you you expect to happen when you drag images (e.g. do you want to be able to edit them later, categorise them, replace them, add metadata, sort them, show thumbnails, show names, create different size thumbs, etc). Someone may be able to make suggestions or build a plugin to do so.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#6 2018-11-04 18:44:37

svecis

Hi,

I’m very sorry if somebody got offended by my statement. But I try to understand the whole situatuion;

1.) This is a blogging software? YES
2.) This has got no native way uploading images into the editor? YES

Let’s image, that on Instragramm, you would only have “Select Files” button, no drag and droping. You think that it would be recognized as image storage and sharing centre.? I think not.

There are a few things that you can expect from a software and I know, this is only Open source, but this is not a real excuse. Even the core of this software should be able to drag and drop images.

If you ask me, how this should be done, then I can tell you:;

Settings page should be available.
If you add one image, than it should be added to this place, where your cursor has dropped the image.

If you add more images, than according to your settings either this or that should be happening:

1.) The images get added down under another with original size. The worst of adding mechanism that should be definitly not default. But option should be available, because it’s the most basic image uploading and some people might like this.

2.) The first image will full width 100% of a article and max height will be setted in the settings. Defauls should be 400px. The next images will be available in rows (3 rows is defaul), which you can set in settings.
Max width will be depending on the number of images set on the settings. For example, if you set 3 pictures in settings, then the image of second image will be 33,33% (max-width/3), the third and fourth image the same and then in the next row the same. This should be the default setting. All kind of social media companies are using this method. Test on your FB account.

3.) The third method and the second best approach to this is that max width will be “max width 100% / number of pictures in a row”. So even the first picture gets to be small. This is a got method, but the second approach is by far the best.

#7 2018-11-04 19:50:43

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

svecis wrote #314956:

I’m very sorry if somebody got offended by my statement.

No offence taken. Just thought it was funny how you went from asking a well-framed question in the morning to “your software’s shit because it doesn’t do what I want” a few hours later before anyone had a chance to reply!

Your views are valid. We do need to improve content integration. We just need to understand the best way to achieve that and marry it with the presentation layer.

I’ve replied in more detail in your other thread.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

Board footer