Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2018-10-30 18:37:20

jakob
Admin
Website

Re: Textpattern allure

etc wrote #314817:

But flat sites get quickly limited (notably in search functionality), so there is place for everyone.

Absolutely agree. You even see simpler cases, like new blog articles posted and duly tweeted but the blog list pages haven’t been updated accordingly so the only link to them is the tweet. Ditto pages or notices that need to expire but can’t without republishing…

bici wrote #314820:

To me the Flat-file hybrid functionality is huge. I want to work in Espresso:Coda/CSSEdit on my desktop and push to the live site/ Plus unlimited undos is very cool!

With Oleg’s recent additions, you can already do that for templating (and soon some other mime types too). As yet not for content, though. That said, the setup routine does already import the welcome article from a flat file.

Unlimited undo? Maybe I’m misunderstanding something but I thought that was something flat file systems cannot do on their own – only when they’re stored in a versioning system (git, subversion) are changes tracked. It’s not a very easy form of unlimited undo, but it is a good record of changes made.

but personally i am at the end of my website building days, so you may safely ignore my idle chatter ?

Stick around all the same :-)

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#14 2018-10-30 22:29:37

bici
Website Mastodon

jakob wrote #314822:

With Oleg’s recent additions, you can already do that for templating (and soon some other mime types too). As yet not for content, though. That said, the setup routine does already import the welcome article from a flat file.

Editing Templates as flat files is all that i would expect

Unlimited undo? Maybe I’m misunderstanding something but I thought that was something flat file systems cannot do on their own – only when they’re stored in a versioning system (git, subversion) are changes tracked. It’s not a very easy form of unlimited undo, but it is a good record of changes made.

Unlimited undos as the templates are on your desktop as local files…so undos are always an option. You actually mount the forms, pages, etc. as a local drive. quite cool.

But content is not included. nor would i want it to be.

no worries… i am like glue on … this says it all:

"Well I don't really care what people say
I don't really watch what dem waan to do
Still I got to stick to my girls like glue
And I mon nah play number two
All I know the time it is gettin' dread
Need a lot of trees up in my head
Got a little damsel in my bed to run dat red"

…. texted postive

#15 2018-10-30 23:58:00

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

jakob wrote #314822:

Oleg’s recent work makes it nice to work from the file system with your / my editor of choice and all its capacities (and round tripping between TXP and editor). Thanks for that.

I think bici means unlimited undo in a desktop app – me adds to that versioning !
Most of my article creation / editing is done in my editor of choice as well.

Ditto that (he says as half retired individual).

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#16 2018-10-31 00:01:06

bici
Website Mastodon

I just realized that i haven’t given Oleg’s recent work a test run. My bad.

I’ll have to give it a test run soon.

…. texted postive

#17 2018-10-31 10:32:24

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Destry wrote #314786:

You wonder what makes him suited to even write this article, if he has no experience with it.

Sums up the web quite well, I reckon.

#18 2018-10-31 10:34:19

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Destry wrote #314798:

Oh, Pete’s idea for having regular remote meetups about Txp using open-source tech. That’s a good call.

I haven’t forgotten about this, bogged down with work-work and juggling Textpattern stuff when I can. It will happen.

#19 2018-10-31 12:16:15

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

bici wrote #314820:

To me the Flat-file hybrid functionality is huge. I want to work in Espresso:Coda/CSSEdit on my desktop and push to the live site/ Plus unlimited undos is very cool!

If you mean templates editing, it’s fine. A plugin exists (needs updating for 4.7.2, though) and a core solution is not to exclude in some near future. But static content generation would be cumbersome in txp. Just think of year/month/day URL mode, we’d need to generate a HTML file for each valid date.

but personally i am at the end of my website building days, so you may safely ignore my idle chatter ?

I’m not a website dev at all, but still chatting here :-)

#20 2018-10-31 12:18:42

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

etc wrote #314838:

I’m not a website dev at all, but still chatting here :-)

I’m here for the people behind these screens.

(and the occasional drama)

Board footer