Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2018-10-30 17:46:35

bici
Website Mastodon

Re: News from a neighbouring galaxy

etc wrote #314818:

Nice to know, we will see then. No doubt, EE is a great CMS, just a bit too commercial (atm) to my taste.

At one time I had 5 licenses for EE. It was worth the price as one could deploy a site with all the functionality that the clients wanted. But slowly too much needed functionality was passed off to plug-in developers to do the heavy lifting. Like Matrix for EE and others. As clients went and came, i started to only use TxP. And happily so. In the meantime many former EE users went to CraftCMS. So this move to open source might be in reaction to the loss to other CMSes.

In any event It is worth for the TxP developers to test drive it when it is freely available.

( i believe the core version was always free to individuals for a personal site. But I see that is no longer available for download)

…. texted postive

#14 2018-10-30 18:24:43

jakob
Admin
Website

bici wrote #314819:

In the meantime many former EE users went to CraftCMS. So this move to open source might be in reaction to the loss to other CMSes.

I vaguely wondered about that too, though not about any specific CMS. There must be a point where sales numbers and the obligation to provide support becomes hard to sustain. But that’s complete conjecture; I know nothing about that. A post is due on Nov 1 with other “new plans” so that may paint a clearer picture.

But slowly too much needed functionality was passed off to plug-in developers to do the heavy lifting.

That’s also interesting with respect to the ongoing discussion here about what belongs in core and what is plugin territory. We don’t have a paid model but some of the same problems: one reason people hold back from upgrading (including myself) is a lack of ongoing support for some plugins.

In any event, it is worth … test driving it when it is freely available (I believe the core version was always free to individuals for a personal site)

I think you’re right: developers could try it for free but not use it on live sites (Craft is similar, no?).

One way or the other, my intention in posting this thread was not at all about cribbing code features – I guess it’s rarely portable anyhow – but about movements afoot in a CMS that is similar in many ways. Now that it’s (effectively) free, might that have an impact of Textpattern usage? Some people – like myself originally – chose Textpattern over EE precisely due to the cost aspect. Now, I’m so familiar with Textpattern that I don’t feel the urge to look elsewhere unless Textpattern doesn’t server my needs for a project. At the same time, it might be an opportunity to identify how the two CMSes differ.

Personally, while raising awareness and increasing the user base of Textpattern is certainly “a good thing”, I’ve never seen the purpose of or need to get into “number of users” competitions as an aim in itself, or for that matter into matching the features of other CMSes. As long as there are enough users and developers and it continues to remain useful and therefore relevant, I have no problem with Textpattern being something of an “unsung hero” – though it definitely needs a little singing about ;-)

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#15 2018-11-19 21:00:56

bici
Website Mastodon

they announced it is now open source — don’t know for sure what that means.

…. texted postive

#16 2018-12-04 18:22:58

bici
Website Mastodon

EllisLab has been acquired by Digital Locations

Last edited by bici (2018-12-04 18:52:51)

…. texted postive

Board footer