Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#457 2018-08-08 08:59:38

Destry
Website

Re: Txp cookies, visitor logging, and GDPR stuff in general

I think I’m circling on a point mentioned a while ago in this thread, but most news is redundant as hell. If one rag dries up there’s a dozen others carrying the same stories. People need to lose their allegiences unless they’re paying for them.

The article cherry picks the Gazzette shooter story and the guy trying to find the news in the local Maryland paper, or wherever it was. He didn’t have to look only there. I find the story in dozens of other sources. Smaller stories that would only interest locals don’t interest readers elsewhere anyway. (‘Farmer Talbert’s cow had a two-headed calf as lightning cracked the old oak tree on main street.’). Meh, finding world-worthy news in English isn’t hard.

On the flipside, a lot of US sites that are available to EU are acting like they’re compliant but are not by a long way. I’d rather a site blocked me out than continued to sell me to third-party ad networks, and passing the buck to them for opting out, all contrary to the laws and my rights so they can keep doing ad-tech exploitation business as usual. This is complained about a lot on masto and people are starting to report these sites to their data authorities.

If anything, I’d expext things to be in turmoil for a while as this big experiment plays out. I’m not scared at all. On the contrary I’m out for the blood of publishers who keep enabling ad networks.

There will always be news online as long as there’s an internet. It doesn’t bother me we cull the sources down while ad-tech is weened out. What bothers me is publishers acting compliant but aren’t.

If somebody replies, ‘but lack of news competition means state controlled media and government jackboots!’, then I’ll just say, ‘that’s already happening in places. And in any case, if we can’t even get news right, how are we supposed to come together as a global society to stave of climate disaster‽ Lol. Goodbye, world.’

#458 2018-08-25 10:56:44

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Another month, the same struggle. Say No to censorship. Save the internet. Cast your vote here.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#459 2018-08-26 14:04:57

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Destry wrote #313339:

[…]

Hey Destry – I emailed you (first name at last name domain) Aug 17 and never heard back – check your last name website SSL.

#460 2018-08-28 16:17:40

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

But latest challenge to our collective security comes not from Facebook or Google or Russian hackers or Cambridge Analytica: it comes from the Australian government. Their new proposed “Access and Assistance” bill would require the operators of all of that technology to comply with broad and secret government orders, free from liability, and hidden from independent oversight. Software could be rewritten to spy on end-users; websites re-engineered to deliver spyware. Our technology would have to serve two masters: their customers, and what a broad array of Australian government departments decides are the “interests of Australia’s national security.” Australia would not be the last to demand these powers: a long line of countries are waiting to demand the same kind of “assistance.” – Trust Us, We’re Secretly Working for a Foreign Government: How Australia’s Proposed Surveillance Laws Will Break The Trust Tech Depends On

#461 2018-08-28 19:01:02

Destry
Website

gaekwad wrote #313644:

Hey Destry – I emailed you (first name at last name domain) Aug 17 and never heard back – check your last name website SSL.

I saw the email. But for reasons I can’t explain or figure out, I can’t reply to you via that account. Pretty sure it’s a Apple/SMTP thing, but I really don’t know. It’s not just you, it’s everybody that contacts me that way. I can’t seem to reply.

In any case, if you use the forum contact, it gets to the proper account (not the one you indicate, which is so poisoned by spam anyway I think I’m going to kill it and Apple Mail.app).

As for the SSL, they expired and I’ve been too f-ing unconcerned to give a shite because the sites are still under dev anyway. :)

I know. Believe me, I know. Here I am with all this GDPR raving and come the 25 May I don’t even deliver. My life is off rails right now and I don’t know how to recover. It’s like I’m watching my house burn and I’m throwing wood on the fire while laughing like a fool.

There are days I don’t even want to be online any more, in any way. Period. And those days seem to be more and more frequent. I can’t explain it. It all seems so pointless.

Anyway, thanks for the reminder. I’ll drudge on over to WebFiction and walk through the motions.

#462 2018-08-28 19:58:05

bici
Website Mastodon

Destry – Take it day by day. I would take long walks through the fields. Take in long horizons.

As for Webfaction. I am ready to give up on them getting LetsEncrypt ready for prime time anytime soon.

I am ready to move to another hosting entity. Anyone have some recommendations?

…. texted postive

#463 2018-09-17 06:03:46

colak
Admin

Here’s an academic article which argues about machine learning models and algorithmic accountability through GDPR.

Yiannis
——————————

#464 2018-10-10 13:45:16

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

michaelkpate wrote #311608:

And in the end the two companies that benefit most from GDPR will be Facebook and Google because it will so devastate their smaller competitors.

The first empirical data is in.

One thing is certain: Google benefits indirectly from the effects of the GDPR, which led the online advertising market in Europe to become more concentrated, as the majority of advertisers lose market share. Google seems to have successfully taken advantage of the uncertainty around GDPR to further solidify its leading market position. On the other hand, many smaller competitors have been steadily losing market share since the GDPR came into effect. – Study: Google is the biggest beneficiary of the GDPR

#465 2018-10-10 15:27:00

Destry
Website

I read this earlier and then wondered how long until you chimed in. ;)

It’s only been 4 months, and in any case, it seems to me GDPR is doing its job, based on the section, Less trackers per site. There they show that in the EU tracking is down, while in the corrupt US (corrupt Google’s domain), tracking is way up, which as they add, is no small part due to dark patterns being used that don’t play by GDPR guidelines:

This is not least due to the fact that many consent management tools use manipulative UX design (so-called dark patterns) to nudge users towards particular choices and actions that may be against their own interests. They trick the users into clicking away these pesky privacy consent notices and thus “consent” to any kind of data collection.

No surprise. That ‘Controller’ behavior just fits with the US’s outward MO anymore: dishonest and underhanded. Said as an American.

As I’ve made clear for myself before, I’m specifically pulling for the GDPR to impact the ad-tech tracking industry. The less ad-tracking the better. If that impacts news media, whether in the EU or not, that’s not my concern. I don’t work for those companies and don’t care about them.

Maybe by weeding out the ad-tech players, more fight is eventually given to the giant. And Gargle hasn’t been winning points in the news lately. It seems like every day there’s a new article showing how Google is literally screwing us.

Also said before, there will always be news, regardless of what happens to current mainstream channels. The streets need pressure washed of the ad-tracking pollution, no matter what the cost. In fact we could do with more independent news upstarts that don’t pander to Google.

So, folks, I can only offer this, I guess: stop visiting US websites, and quit your Google accounts already.

#466 2018-10-11 02:29:15

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Destry wrote #314509:

As I’ve made clear for myself before, I’m specifically pulling for the GDPR to impact the ad-tech tracking industry. The less ad-tracking the better.

There is definitely a reduced number of trackers.

The tech giant purged its ecosystem of third-party tracking, making it harder for advertisers to independently verify their ads were delivered. Instead, advertisers have a Google-controlled measurement system that improves privacy protections, but puts their ads behind a walled garden. It’s a “major concern” for clients, said James Duffy, head of digital at Total Media. Some advertisers see no other choice but to buy into Google’s entire stack and use its tracking data to understand their audience. “It’s not just programmatic spend that has changed over the last month,” a media buyer at programmatic agency said. – Google’s share of money going into supply-side and demand-side platforms has grown over the same period.

In fact we could do with more independent news upstarts that don’t pander to Google.

Hopefully, that works out. If not…

Salesforce CEO Marc Benioff. He is paying Meredith $190 million in cash for Time magazine. The Time deal was announced on Sunday night. Benioff and his wife Lynne say it is a family investment, unrelated to Salesforce. They are calling themselves “caretakers,” saying “we are honored to be the caretakers of one of the world’s most important media companies and iconic brands.” – Marc Benioff is the latest tech billionaire to buy a news outlet

I guess we will still have news.

#467 2018-11-06 09:13:21

colak
Admin

Of interest and great for a laugh.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=89ZkydX0FPw

Yiannis
——————————

#468 2018-11-06 10:04:42

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Brilliant! Sharing… before it gets filtered :)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

Board footer