Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2018-06-09 09:03:25

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Improving the login / logout panels

Fine-grained values for the autocomplete attribute for better interaction / integration with password managers (Keychain, 1Password, …), and better safety.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#2 2018-10-03 11:38:32

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Re: Improving the login / logout panels

Thanks – missed this topic a few months back.

I’ve implemented some autocomplete and autofocus rules for login page (and to some extent on ‘Add new user’ panel too) in latest dev branch. Please feel free to test.

I’ll investigate Safari 12’s passwordrules password field attribute further and then decide whether to implement that as well at a future date, or not (from my current reading of the WhatWG discussion – probably won’t include it).

#3 2018-10-03 12:23:50

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Thanks , I’ll test when I have a moment.

re. the passwordrules. Given that TXP is quite liberal in what it accepts, I don’t think those are necessary. At least atm. As far as I understand it, those are mostly useful to give the password manager some hints at which characters to include or exclude when generating a new password.

#4 2018-10-04 07:08:41

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

I did some basic testing – 10.14 / Safari 12 + Firefox and localhost only (no https yet) and everything seems to work. On the change/edit password, Safari Ui puzzles me a little, in the sense that for the new password field it still offers me to fill the old one in the pop over., but if I focus the ‘old’ password field and click on new password, that is automatically send to the new pass field. Oh, and the suggested passwords are 20 characters long, mix of lowercase, uppercase, digits and hyphens. it is displayed in plain text, and keychain is updated accordingly (with a confirm sheet).

On the New author edit panel, the autocomplete=off has no effect (Cmd-shift-A fills in the fields, clicking on the little user icon in the real name field fills in the fields. All based on my ‘me’ card). Firefox doesn’t seem to autofill, but then Firefox knows nothing about me, so that makes things hard to test.

Firefox doesn’t seem to support autocomplete=new-password yet.

PS- If you happen to have the “Stop the madness” Safari extension installed, whitelist your test domains, else all fields with the autocomplete attribute set are converted to autocomplete=on. Need to check with the author, it needs some fine-tuning for 10.14

#5 2018-10-04 08:41:00

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Thanks for the report Philippe. Hopefully the browser quirks will be fixed over time, as this all seems quite new.

Board footer