Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2018-08-12 18:50:12

miles
Website

Website Malware Scanner

Hello TXP Community

I needed to share this fantastic piece of software with you all and hopefully it might help someone else too. A few months ago we had a security breach which spread malware files all over our servers – https://forum.textpattern.com/viewtopic.php?id=48702

I managed to get it somewhat controlled with a few cron jobs deleting the infected files every 5 min and desperately trying to find the root of the problem whilst running my business. The malware was attacking the TXP admin folders and bringing down random sites and TXP admin side’s everyday. Probably around 1-2 a day.

I started to clean sites using virustotal.com and putting them on a new server which seemed the best way to sort it unless I wanted to pay $1000’s for each of my 300 sites to be cleaned.

I then found this amazing scanner – https://malware.expert/website-malware-scanner/ – and it’s FREE!

It works on SSH and scans through the whole server to find malware files or injections in the code. The scanner found over 2000 infected files and cleaned/deleted them. When it cleans them it makes them .suspected and then you have the option to delete all the .suspected files when you are happy

I now have 4 completely clean servers

I have been speaking with the creator and we have made a few improvements over the weekend.

I needed to share this with the TXP community to hopefully help anyone in a similar situation or it’s probably a good idea to give it a run through on your own server, you might be surprised to find there is some dirty files in the background.

Last edited by miles (2018-08-12 18:56:29)

#2 2018-08-15 08:46:36

Destry
Website

Re: Website Malware Scanner

Interesting. I hope I never need it, but thanks for sharing.

Board footer