Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2018-08-06 12:04:28

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Textpattern Default Theme - No Remote

Overview
Visually identical to the Textpattern default theme, fonts are served locally instead of via Google Fonts.

If the font file is installed on the device, it will use it.

If the font file is not installed, it will be served from the Textpattern site.

More info…

Version
v0.0.4, alpha — seeking feedback.

Download
GitHub

Requirements
Textpattern 4.7 or newer, write access to /themes directory.

Installation
Download and extract archive, upload the textpattern-default-theme-no-remote directory and its subdirectories to the themes directory on your Textpattern site, apply using the Themes panel.

More info…

Last edited by gaekwad (2018-08-07 18:19:41)

#2 2018-08-07 12:13:46

uli

Re: Textpattern Default Theme - No Remote

Pete, I gratefully tried that yesterday and have troubles making it work: The reason is that the code changes don’t make it into the database. Maybe my attempt to fix it on my own is the reason, I can’t tell, it’s my first attempt with the new theming feature. What I did — after force-refreshing the front-side display didn’t update accordingly — is I went into Presentation > Themes and imported the new files. I thought that’s also required to make the switch but …

Can you give me any hints?

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#3 2018-08-07 12:50:46

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Hey uli – thanks for your interest. I’m working on the installation routine right now, but there is something to get you started here.

It’s all text right now, but I am putting images in to make it more visual.

I am very interested in your feedback on the installation routine because I’ll be updating the Textpattern theme docs in the coming weeks.

Last edited by gaekwad (2018-08-07 13:57:06)

#4 2018-08-07 18:05:31

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

OK, there are some pretty pictures that accompany the instructions. I’m toying with making a screencast/video of the whole procedure to demystify it.

#5 2018-08-07 18:13:34

Wanderer

I think it’s a good thing to include the fonts in the designs. Why no separate folder for the fonts?

[__] fonts
[__] forms
[__] pages
[__] styles
manifest.json

That makes sense, doesn’t it?

#6 2018-08-07 18:18:16

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Wanderer wrote #313327:

I think it’s a good thing to include the fonts in the designs. Why no separate folder for the fonts?

[…]

That makes sense, doesn’t it?

It does. There is currently a limitation with the Themes panel in that it will manage a theme within pre-defined directories only, and any subdirectories (and files within them) outside of the standard list (for example, fonts as you listed) will prevent the theme being removed cleanly/fully.

This is by design and intended to safeguard against accidental deletion. Including the fonts in the styles directory is the workaround in that sense – the theme can be added and removed without throwing any errors.

Edit #2: some background, with commentary from Bloke.

Last edited by gaekwad (2018-08-07 18:26:46)

Board footer