Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#421 2018-07-11 09:16:46

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Re: Txp cookies, visitor logging, and GDPR stuff in general

phiw13 wrote #312969:

Yes, On safari 11 (I use a different one, but the principle is the same) but it won’t work in Safari 12.

There’s a somewhat elegant workaround, for now: georgegarside.com/blog/macos/install-any-safari-extension-macos-mojave/

#422 2018-07-11 09:32:45

Algaris

jakob wrote:

I have a bunch of extensions for useful tools (Dropmark, AdBlock, 1Password, Bettersource, WhatFont)…

I think you’ll probably be safe with 1Password if this article is anything to go by:

Apple to deploy 1Password to all 123,000 employees, acquisition talks underway

…we have exclusively learned that Apple is planning an interesting partnership and a potential acquisition of AgileBits, maker of the popular password manager 1Password.

#423 2018-07-11 10:06:15

Destry
Website

Algaris wrote #312975:

Apple to deploy 1Password to all 123,000 employees, acquisition talks underway

Not according to 1password.

But then I don’t believe rag rumours or startups about such details anyway. The truth is revealed over time.

#424 2018-07-11 10:42:12

Algaris

Hmm… Interesting. Thank you for the link to Twitter.

As you say the truth will come out over time.

#425 2018-07-11 11:56:42

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

gaekwad wrote #312974:

There’s a somewhat elegant workaround, for now: georgegarside.com/blog/macos/install-any-safari-extension-macos-mojave/

“somewhat elegant“ ? hmm, define somewhat…. Quite cumbersome in fact. And anyway, you have to reenable the extension after restarting the browser.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#426 2018-07-11 21:04:16

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

phiw13 wrote #312979:

“somewhat elegant“ ? hmm, define somewhat…. Quite cumbersome in fact.

…actually, yeah – now I’ve read it properly, that’s a bloody shambles.

#427 2018-07-16 12:09:59

Destry
Website

A shot over the bow

Fakebook got off easy this time, only because the ‘crime’ beat the date.

But we haven’t seen anything yet. Once a year passes and people get lazy and forgetful, authorities will not be sympathetic. And so far neither tech nor media has taking GDPR very seriously, with truly compliant changes/policies. It’s all just been dodging the bullet and doing what the Jones’ do, and the Jones’ ain’t doin’ it right.

The real fireworks are yet to come.

#428 2018-07-16 13:51:43

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Destry wrote #313033:

A shot over the bow

From the article:

“Facebook is being punished because it allowed someone else [Dr Krogen] to do something they were not allowed to do,” said media analyst Thomas Baekdal. If you translate that to publishers, it’s saying you’re responsible for what all the ad tech companies are doing, even if you tell them not to do it. If the ICO takes the same principle it’s giving Facebook and applies it to publishers and makes them responsible, that’s a big deal.”

I doubt there will be a newspaper or news organization with an online presence in Europe within a decade. Which means many of them won’t be offline either.

#429 2018-07-16 17:19:31

Destry
Website

michaelkpate wrote #313035:

I doubt there will be a newspaper or news organization with an online presence in Europe within a decade.

American media companies, I presume you mean, and specifically those that cater to English language only. Obviously European media won’t be turning away it’s citizenry to avoid the Reg.

Which means many of them won’t be offline either.

I doubt any news org is going offline either, but not because it avoided Europeans and the Reg, on the contrary.

Ad-tech is likely to suffer first (the real poison), which will be a catalyst to changing how the media game is played, again. I can’t say what that change will be, nor can anyone, because that’s the billion-dollar question they’re all scrambling to figure out.

But the answer likely lies in finding the right content cocktail and catering to other languages, not relying on poisonous ad-tech. News orgs than can’t wake up to that will hurt.

Certain American media won’t entirely shun EU readers, which seems rather far-fetched. NYT, as one example, enjoys a significant readership from American’s abroad alone, and has a 15% foreign subscription rate that grows faster than from home, though that’s not all EU, granted.

I wouldn’t be surprised if in 10 years more countries have similar laws to the EU’s GDPR, in fact.

#430 2018-07-16 19:07:01

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Destry wrote #313038:

American media companies, I presume you mean, and specifically those that cater to English language only. Obviously European media won’t be turning away it’s citizenry to avoid the Reg.

What I meant – following up on the quote and my earlier comments – was that none of the European publications have a sustainable business model that will allow them to survive under GDPR if it is actually enforced.

#431 2018-07-18 02:06:21

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

GDPR is slowly making its way into Japanese legislation. EU and Japan signed a pretty wide-ranged Partnership Agreement. As part of this: The European Union and Japan agreed to create the world’s largest area of safe data flows (European Commission – Press release). There will be reciprocity.

Good. Sometimes those neolibcon trade agreements do have a positive side effect for us, the peeps.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#432 2018-07-18 10:12:51

planeth
Plugin Author
Website

phiw13 wrote #313051:

GDPR is slowly making its way into Japanese legislation. EU and Japan signed a pretty wide-ranged Partnership Agreement.

This is good news. And the article says that Japan will be granted an adequacy decision in the fall.

Board footer