Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2018-06-22 19:12:28

demoncleaner
Plugin Author
Website

Admin Search not working anymore since 4.7.0

After updating to 4.7.0 the admin search for articles is not working properly anymore.
Everything else but search for “title, main text and excerpt” seems to work fine but as soon as I activate “title,main text and excerpt” for the search it fales to find anything. I tried already deactivating some plugins but with no result.
Another thing is, that on diagnose it tells me it cannot connect to update server. Which made me suspicious and I was starting to think that there might be something wrong with the server. No idea if this is related to the initial problem. But with other 4.7.0 installs I do not have this problem.
Also it does not autmatically delete the setup folder when a config.php is present.

Any ideas would be appreciated on how to get to the origin of that problem.

Last edited by demoncleaner (2018-06-22 19:12:49)

#2 2018-07-11 06:22:34

demoncleaner
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Admin Search not working anymore since 4.7.0

Meanwhile I found out that the mentioned problem only apears from a certain amount of articles in the database. Something around above 20 maybe. And it also appears only on Hosteurope Hosting.

Can anyone confirm that or has any idea what could cause that? In the Diagnose Tab I see that syslog is deactivated. But I guess that this cannot be the reason for the problem.

I will also try to contact Hosteurope on that topic and keep you posted. Any more hints and ideas would be really appreciated.

#3 2018-07-11 08:43:35

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

demoncleaner wrote #312682:

Another thing is, that on diagnose it tells me it cannot connect to update server. Which made me suspicious and I was starting to think that there might be something wrong with the server. No idea if this is related to the initial problem. But with other 4.7.0 installs I do not have this problem.

I can explain some of this for you, especially if this is only one server you have the issue with.

Firstly, the fact that the string cannot_connect_update_server appears untranslated is a bug that has been fixed for Textpattern 4.7.2, so ignore the fact it’s coming through to you as raw text.

The reason why it’s appearing is possibly related to some server configuration that prevents connections to remote servers via a JSON call. The update check comprises a version check on a JSON file on the Textpattern website. If that file cannot be checked (either the server does not permit it, network overloaded etc), then that error is returned.

I can tell you that 4.7.1 is available. It’s a maintenance release, but it has some important fixes with article and article_custom handling (plus some other stuff), so is worth a look. More info here

Also it does not autmatically delete the setup folder when a config.php is present.

I may have missed a memo, but deleting textpattern/setup is usually a manual process on installs and updates.

#4 2018-07-11 08:55:55

demoncleaner
Plugin Author
Website

Thank you for your reply.
Meanwhile I had installed 4.7.1 and still facing the same problems.
I thought already that the string “cannot_connect_update_server” is some language issue. But the weird thing ist, it does not happen with lots of other updates to 4.7.0 I have lately done. And it also does not go away with 4.7.1.

But anyway, this is not the main problem I am having. Just thought that this might give some clues about the mayor problem of the search function in admin area not working anymore.

#5 2018-07-11 09:00:54

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

demoncleaner wrote #312968:

Meanwhile I had installed 4.7.1 and still facing the same problems.

It’s possible the update problems are not related to Textpattern, but to server configuration.

The update check uses the PHP JSON extension, which may not be installed or available. If it is available, there may be some restrictions with remote connections (for example, mod_security may restrict JSON calls to servers outside the immediate network), and so the “cannot connect” issue pops up. There’s some additional discussion on this issue with a view to at least providing more information on why it’s not working.

But anyway, this is not the main problem I am having. Just thought that this might give some clues about the mayor problem of the search function in admin area not working anymore.

Yes, I understand – right now I cannot comment or assist on the search issue, but wanted to help on the thing I can talk about.

#6 2018-07-11 09:06:43

demoncleaner
Plugin Author
Website

Sure. And thanks a lot for that. Sorry, hope you did not get me wrong.
I wrote already an email to Hosteurope. We will see what they say. I am quite sure others might have already or will have this problem in the future so I am quite curious what would be the reason.

#7 2018-07-11 09:08:16

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

demoncleaner wrote #312682:

After updating to 4.7.0 the admin search for articles is not working properly anymore.
Everything else but search for “title, main text and excerpt” seems to work fine but as soon as I activate “title,main text and excerpt” for the search it fales to find anything.

Does searching from the front end work (e.g. searching for an article title, or some keyword in an article) ? As far as I understand it, both use the same straight DB query under the hood.

If you put the affected site in debug mode, do you get any (error) messages when searching ?

(edit – spelling)

Last edited by phiw13 (2018-07-11 09:16:17)

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#8 2018-07-11 09:14:36

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

demoncleaner wrote #312971:

Sure. And thanks a lot for that. Sorry, hope you did not get me wrong.

No problem at all, I assure you.

I wrote already an email to Hosteurope. We will see what they say. I am quite sure others might have already or will have this problem in the future so I am quite curious what would be the reason.

Something to check while you wait: is the PHP JSON extension definitely loaded? Create a file called info.php in a public directory and include this line:

<?php phpinfo(); ?>

Load the page in a browser, you should see a pretty PHP page with lots of information. Search the page for json and check if the PHP extension is loaded / active.

#9 2018-07-12 06:04:26

bici
Website Mastodon

Wow. i had never used the Admin side Search Function. Just tried. I love it.
and i found a post i like but I had forgotten about

…. texted postive

#10 2018-10-30 19:39:26

Kris

demoncleaner wrote #312964:

And it also appears only on Hosteurope Hosting.

Can anyone confirm that or has any idea what could cause that? In the Diagnose Tab I see that syslog is deactivated. But I guess that this cannot be the reason for the problem.

I have the same issue with HostEurope Hosting and txp 4.7.1.
Admin search behaves like you described: As soon as search for “title, etc.” is switched on, it’s not giving any results. However, for me the entire database is affected and can’t be searched for “title, etc.”.
Also, my diagnose panel shows that the PHP function “syslog” is disabled on my server. In fact, this is the only error displayed, no errors regarding update servers. Therefore, I assume you have multiple issues.
Can someone help?

edit: frontend search works – no problems here.

Last edited by Kris (2018-10-30 19:42:25)

#11 2018-11-03 20:39:47

uli

Maybe this is introduced even earlier: In 4.6.2, searching for comments with ?crit=mytitle&search_method=parent&event=discuss&step=list&search=Go on the URL doesn’t work. But also: The website is hosted on Hosteurope. It was running Textpattern 4.5.7 before the update and the URL parameter worked reliably.

EDIT: Could this have something to do with the PHP-version? (I had to update for that reason.) Currently PHP v7.2.11-he.0

Last edited by uli (2018-11-03 20:50:33)

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#12 2018-11-03 22:13:12

jayrope
Plugin Author
Website Mastodon

I have the same problem after an update from 4.0.5 to 4.7.1. In fact the search on the article list doesn’t work at all.

Installing and using smd_where_used_v0.30 works, though.

The site is hosted on Hosteurope as well. ;)

Diagnostics show, that the PHP function syslog has been disable on server. Could that be the cause for this?

Last edited by jayrope (2018-11-03 22:17:05)

A hole turned upside down is a dome, when there’s also gravity.

Board footer