Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2018-06-09 13:45:43

Destry
Website

Pop!_OS

Apparently Pop!_OS, new addition to the operating system market, is really polished, minimal, and nice. I don’t seem to be the target user, but I want to try it anyway.

Maybe I can put it on the Librem when that day comes.

#2 2018-06-09 17:44:49

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: Pop!_OS

The problem with all these OSs is as always the software availability. This can vary from professional software to printers and other peripherals connectivity. It does indeed look nice though!

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#3 2018-06-09 20:04:07

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

I actually tried it out while I was exploring Linux distros a couple of months ago – it wasn’t quite what I was looking for, but it seems to be building a following.

#4 2018-06-10 00:48:10

Destry
Website

colak wrote #312483:

The problem with all these OSs is as always the software availability.

Gotta start somewhere.

The success of Purism’s hardware and progress of their Librem 5 phone is looking hopeful. Their PureOS seems to have a lot of software already. Is that just general linux software that works on any linux distro? I’m still pretty green about that world yet.

Elementary OS is another one I’m seeing mentioned a lot in Masto. It has it’s own AppCenter, but you need to have the OS to see what’s there, apparently.

Balkan mentioned today more Linux shops in Europe producing machines (ht Balkan). That’s cool. I always had the impression linux users were a ‘build it from spare Windows shells’ kind of crowd. Some shop examples:

StationX
Star Labs
Entroware
Tuxedo
Juno

Star Lab’s Star LabTop is a handsome brute. It runs Ubuntu.

Juno’s Jupiter also looks nice. It’s running Elementary OS.

(Yes, I like the 13” size range.)

My MBP is now 7 years old. I’ve never serviced it. I probably should but I don’t want to jinx anything. I’m a poor mofo. But it’s not going to run forever. I either need to get another Apple laptop or make the crossover. I’d like to run parallel for a while. There are some Apple writing apps I will have a hard time replacing (i.e. doing without), but ultimately I want to get into the linux game full time. A new world to explore.

michaelkpate wrote #312484:

it wasn’t quite what I was looking fo

What did you go with, if anything yet?

#5 2018-06-10 14:01:36

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Destry wrote #312485:

What did you go with, if anything yet?

I decided the best choice for me in terms of software support was to just go with standard Ubuntu 18.04 LTS running Gnome. That is pretty much the safest choice for knowing you are going to get the security updates while trying to stay stable. But I also prefer a more Windows like (and less Mac wanna-be environment) so I moved the top bar to the bottom and the open/close window buttons to the right. You can do all that in XFCE and KDE and Pantheon (the Elementary Desktop Environment) but I decided I like Gnome for whatever reason.

I use Ubuntu for anything productivity/design and Windows 10 just for gaming. I did try out the indows Subsystem for Linux stuff which does work but I didn’t feel like it offered any advantage over dual-booting.

Board footer