Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

1. Index
  2. » Archives
  3. » Hack: Notepad

#25 2004-11-20 20:32:15

apo

Re: Hack: Notepad

hehe, no problem. just wanted to install it. at first i thought it was my browser, hehe. thx for fixing that quickly

#26 2004-11-22 03:28:21

dragontiger
Website

compooter,

just replied to your post there

Best,
Adam

Best,
Adam Andrzej Jaworski
See the Future
http://wellness.yourplanet.name

#27 2004-11-27 02:46:06

Andrew
Plugin Author

I just thought of a potential weakness, and I’m not sure how to get around it without a significant change or two. What prompted this consideration was alicson’s wonderful resources site and the fact that at any moment there could potentially be any number of people editing the public notepad. So then we’ve got the checkout/checkin dilemma to solve so that your edits aren’t inadvertently overwritten by someone else, who is also concurrently composing an edit to the existing note.

Any ideas off the top of your collective head?

EDIT

hmm… perhaps i solved it right ^^ there by typing “checkout/checkin”. perhaps the ‘save’ button should be replaced with a ‘checkout’ button? no matter how i slice it though, it seems as though it’d require a db modification.

for most users this wouldn’t be an issue however, likely only using the notepad for personal notes or notes between only a small number of developers/writers. hmm…

Last edited by compooter (2004-11-27 02:51:07)

#28 2004-11-27 02:52:36

alicson
Website

is there a way to know how many people are on the site at the same time? how many people are logged in at once? could it have one or two layers, so that … say there are three layers… layer a, b, c…. layer <strong>a</strong> is what everyone sees… layer <strong>b</strong> was the last version right before the edits that made it layer <strong>a</strong>. and layer <strong>c</strong> is what the file was before someone changed it to make it layer <strong>b</strong>. there is that note below to say “last modified by Person: 21:23, 26 Nov 2004”. if you want to make that really useful, have it recognize that someone just updated it within the last 5/10/20/30/45 minutes (one of those… user chosen? &#42;shrug&#42; either way..) and have it say in red: ‘Person modified this within the last 30 minutes.’ and that would alert you to the other layers. :)

i dunno. those are my thoughts off the head top.

*edit: Textile doesn’t always love me

Last edited by alicson (2004-11-27 02:53:51)

textpattern.org :: find and share Textpattern resources
docs.textpattern.io :: Textpattern user documentation

#29 2004-11-27 03:04:51

alicson
Website

> compooter wrote:
for most users this wouldn’t be an issue however, likely only using the notepad for personal notes or notes between only a small number of developers/writers. hmm…

this is true ;) with the advent of Manfre’s Self-registration mod, however, i think we may start to see a few more community-oriented sites, that just weren’t really possible before. i plan to be working on at least two more (one’s a personal-type site, one’s for a friend) within the next three months… but that’s me.. i don’t really know how many others would use Textpattern with multiple users..

i’m grateful as it is for the existing notepad hack. any additiional features to it would simply be further bonus. :)

#30 2004-12-13 06:01:28

Andrew
Plugin Author

I’ve updated both notepad files to v0.3

Changes include:
  • minor code cleanup
  • conflict check for public notepad

The conflict check basically checks before saving to the public notepad if someone else has saved a note in the time it took you to perform your edits. If so, it warns you before saving, tells you who last performed an edit, and gives you the option to “Force Save” over the last user’s edits.

That’s about as good as it’ll get for overwriting prevention, and I think it’s likely as much will ever be needed.

#31 2004-12-13 16:40:43

alicson
Website

beautiful lovely and great.

:) :)

#32 2004-12-15 00:35:51

Andrew
Plugin Author

Another tiny update to v0.4:

• Changed display from username to “real name”, to protect users’ login information and because we all use silly logins that perhaps won’t tell you exactly who did the last edit. Full name is better :-)

#33 2005-01-25 18:57:42

greyfodder
Website

This is way cool. Got it setup, but my tabs say tab_notepad. tab_notepadpublic, and tab_notepadprivate. I know nothing of this stuff, so rather than risk screwing it up, waht needs changed?

Great, now even my car needs a tinfoil hat. :)

#34 2005-01-25 19:03:03

Andrew
Plugin Author

most likely you just didn’t make the edits to the language file for textpattern, located in <code>/textpattern/lib/en-gb.txt</code>.

#35 2005-12-01 14:29:53

squaredeye
Website

Andrew or others,
I am interested in trying to blend the functions of this plugin with the welcome screen that sencer created here. Essentially I am trying to create a notepad that can be treated as a section (for publishing purposes), and an admin tab (for tutorial purposes).

Would anyone be able to help me undertstand how these two plugins could come together?

Let me know if I have not explained myself well.

Matthew

1. Index
  2. » Archives
  3. » Hack: Notepad

Board footer