Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#349 2018-05-26 13:07:39

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Txp cookies, visitor logging, and GDPR stuff in general

Destry wrote #312104:

I don’t think so. My understanding is you have to have a DPA on file to show a data authority agent if ever asked to see it.

OK, I’ll check with them next week (experience tells me it is not really useful to raise that sort of things over the WE). +I hurt my lower back badly the other day, doesn’t help thinking clearly.

I doubt every company that says they’re GDPR compliant is, whether or not they realize it.

Definitively; a couple of things I have seen from some (US and EU) companies had cough a wee little bit…

PS – fun thing; today I had a couple of software updates for mostly small utilities waiting for me in the App store, both my iMac and my iPad. Mostly so they could show me their TOS.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#350 2018-05-26 13:14:59

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

jakob wrote #312100:

Presumably that’s access logs only (error logs don’t have IP data, right?). But what is a suitable retention period? I’ve not been able to find any reliable values…

I agree with Destry above, as far as I understand it, there is no time limit specified, beyond the vague ‘when needed’ or some such. 72 hours seems quite short, from a server management angle. But then again, they probably have scripts & widgets that automatically keep an eye on those things in real time.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#351 2018-05-26 15:12:26

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

So it turns out USA Today has a very simple strategy for continuing to operate in Europe: just don’t run any Advertising and do it for free.

The flow of inventory supply from publishers has also dropped in many exchanges, and several sources attributed that to the volume of U.S. publishers that have pulled their programmatic ads in Europe. Titles like the Los Angeles Times and Chicago Tribune have shut down their European sites; others like USA Today have kept their site accessible to European site visitors. USA Today has kept its site up in Europe but stripped them of ads. The New York Times’ pages do not appear to carry any programmatic ads in Europe; most are running house ads. One ad tech source said the Times is now not available on open ad exchanges. The Times has not yet responded for comment; we’ll update when it does. – GDPR mayhem: Programmatic ad buying plummets in Europe

I doubt that is sustainable in the long-term, but as the past employees noted, they aren’t exactly noted for that kind of thinking.

At least NPR was creative in their text-only approach.

Oh, and speaking of text only, there is now GDPRCasualties.

#352 2018-05-27 05:01:58

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Here is a proposal re GDPR to the House of lords by cyber salon.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#353 2018-05-27 11:43:56

Destry
Website

michaelkpate wrote #312109:

At least NPR was creative in their text-only approach.

I like that one. I wish all media companies provided a text only version. And it still runs through reader nicely!

If all media companies did that, they’d probably save enough on development costs to offset the loss from ad money. Users might even be more inclined to donate to them as well.

That’s the thing… If they just figured out that by working with us instead of trying to screw us, we might willingly give them more money. But the more they try to exploit readers with ad-tech, the more we resist. It’s no surprise ad-blockers are so popular.

#354 2018-05-28 07:25:03

colak
Admin

A short video about privacy and data exploitation from privacyinternational.org.

Yiannis
——————————

#355 2018-05-29 14:52:01

bici
Website Mastodon

Now we need this from the others registrars :

At Namecheap, we care about your privacy and are now giving ALL our Namecheap customers FREE WhoisGuard for life, when they register a domain* with us. This important change supports our strong belief in privacy, security and freedom and the equal treatment for all internet users.

…. texted postive

#356 2018-05-29 15:25:52

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

In reply to bici #312172:

I know from personal experience that Hover offers this. And here is a discussion of some others.

#357 2018-05-29 15:35:26

bici
Website Mastodon

michaelkpate wrote #312173:

In reply to bici #312172:

I know from personal experience that Hover offers this. And here is a discussion of some others.

thanks! i am going to be looking for alternatives to Dotster my long time registrar, if they dont offer free privacy. It is total BS that this hasn’t been the default from the get go.

…. texted postive

#358 2018-05-29 15:35:58

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

The ICANN Community has been aware of this privacy issue since before GDPR was adopted, but as is always the case with the multi-stakeholder model, the policy development process is advancing at the pace of a snail (mmm, yummy!). A working group, whose goal is to create a next generation RDS to replace WHOIS, was formed in January 2016. However, there is no chance it will be able to produce anything which could be implemented by the industry come the May 2018 implementation date.* At ICANN 60, this working group reported the number of members contributing to the effort was so great (130+) that it’s had to break into smaller, more manageable, sub drafting teams who are tasked with working on specific issues. Of course, moving forward, the top issue for the group will be defining what legitimate purpose the WHOIS database has and will continue to have in the future. – GDPR necessary but causing headaches

• This was posted back in November.

#359 2018-05-29 19:11:51

bici
Website Mastodon

whois should have been private from the getgo. ICANN was shortsighted about this issue

…. texted postive

#360 2018-05-30 07:29:28

colak
Admin

Hi bici. I think that it might be your registrar as a WHOIS search for our domains now obfuscates our private data.

Yiannis
——————————

Board footer