Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#301 2018-05-22 06:06:54

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Txp cookies, visitor logging, and GDPR stuff in general

Destry wrote #311949:

Is their a GDPR watchdog to report to? Because I will gladly be one of those people to wage major complaints on these companies.

Or what could be happening here is Yahoo just didn’t delete my email from their spam engine, which is still a violation of GDPR. Which again makes me want to report them.

You are a EU citizen (and residing in the EU, that probably makes things easier), right? Your country should have a Data Protection Authority, per the GDPR (hmm, France? Micron is prolly on the slow side…).

In related news, Guardian today: Google sued for ‘clandestine tracking’ of 4.4m UK iPhone users’ browsing data – finally, after 6 years.

And other news, for the first time in many years I received one of those LinkedIn spam invites telling me that XXX1 is now on their site and invite me to join. No I have never consented to receive that kind of mail (and never been on that site either).

1 XXX is possibly someone I interacted with on a mailing list, no memory of it. When that person signed up for LinkedIn, they swallowed his address book.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#302 2018-05-22 08:49:35

Destry
Website

phiw13 wrote #311950:

XXX^1^

This is very likely what happened. Someone joined who had you in their address book, opted to let LI have access to it (I remember seeing the LI request a few times over the years), and you were marketing meat ever since.

Hopefully these emails will start having unsubscribe options and will actually respect them now..

#303 2018-05-22 09:00:58

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Destry wrote #311957:

[LI] Hopefully these emails will start having unsubscribe options and will actually respect them now..

*splutters orange juice from nose* LinkedIn? Respect? Oxymoron.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#304 2018-05-22 09:09:45

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Destry wrote #311957:

This is very likely what happened. Someone joined who had you in their address book, opted to let LI have access to it (I remember seeing the LI request a few times over the years), and you were marketing meat ever since.

It happens (happened) every time some newly joins and upload their address book. LI start spamming that list. I hadn’t seen it for quite a while though… (fwiw, the email address I use for mailing lists is quite new, less than 6 month, so I am sure it is newly added).

Hopefully these emails will start having unsubscribe options and will actually respect them now..

Bloke wrote #311958:

splutters orange juice from nose LinkedIn? Respect? Oxymoron.

this ^^ – but with a glass of water, more friendly for monitor / keyboard :-)

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#305 2018-05-22 09:54:22

planeth
Plugin Author
Website

Destry wrote #311949:

Is their a GDPR watchdog to report to? Because I will gladly be one of those people to wage major complaints on these companies.

Yes ! This the whole purpose of GDPR. Since you seem to be in France, it would be the CNIL.
lodge a complaint

#306 2018-05-22 10:36:51

Destry
Website

planeth wrote #311961:

Yes ! This the whole purpose of GDPR. Since you seem to be in France, it would be the CNIL.
lodge a complaint

Weeeeeeeee! Er, Ouuuuiiiiiiiiiiiiiii! A complaint page and everything.

Maybe I can coerce companies like SmugMug into action with the motivation that I will report them to my authority if they don’t proactively delete every thing they have on me ASAP.

#307 2018-05-22 11:16:47

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

We are aware of GDPR requirements and our team is working hard on addressing them. We are working with outside counsel on developing and implementing policies and procedures to comply with the GDPR and to ensure that our subscribers can meet their GDPR obligations as to their customers in the near future. When we have more details to share, we’ll let you know! – Smugmug and the new European GDPR

Seeing as how they are still using their 2013 Privacy Policy, they are cutting it kind of close.

#308 2018-05-22 11:54:56

Destry
Website

I think the problem in my case is Yahoo, then ‘Oath (formerly Yahoo)’, as it says in the email, which retained my contact info and uses it as if I’m still an account holder. It’s really annoying. I probably only need to filter their stupid messages and all is well.

I can see how a lesser web user would be confused by this though; getting a message saying they’re transferring you like so much chopped liver to another company and you have to sign in to an account you don’t have to cancel out. It’s ridiculous.

EDIT:

Egads, SmugMug’s ToS for Flickr reads like they take no responsibility for anything. I would not want anything to do with this company.

‘18. International Users

SmugMug is located in the State of California in the United States of ‘Merica. If you access the Services from a country other than the United States, you agree that your transactions with SmugMug occur in the United States. You are responsible for compliance with all applicable laws, rules and regulations applicable to your use of the Services.’

Yeah, and what about your compliance, Smug?

‘21. Questions or Comments

Flickr is committed to keeping our users happy and satisfied with their use of the Services. If you have any questions, concerns, complaints or comments in any way related to your use of the Services, please contact us at help@flickr.com.
If you have any questions, concerns, complaints or comments in any way related to your use of the Services or the transfer of your Flickr account to SmugMug, please contact us at help@flickr.com.’

There’s my point of entry.

What I don’t get is how I’m getting mail from them at all. Even if they kept my account open, I don’t use yahoo mail. It’s coming to my soon-to-be-killed gmail account. Do they require an alternate email in Yahoo accounts? I can’t remember. They must have.

#309 2018-05-22 15:46:43

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

President Trump recently signed the first American law to regulate social media companies as publishers, imposing new civil liability and criminal penalties for content that facilitates prostitution or sex trafficking. Germany is now requiring social media companies to remove any hate speech within 24 hours after their notification of its posting, forcing teams of Facebook employees to evaluate the content almost as editors do. A new European Union regulation to protect online privacy that goes into effect this Friday is providing new opportunities for lawyers to sue. Congress is weighing legislation to require internet companies to disclose the buyers of political advertising, just as traditional news media outlets have to do. – Is Facebook Just a Platform? A Lawyer to the Stars Says No

I have seen lots of stuff about regulators getting new things to regulate but nothing about lawyers and lawsuits. Is this a warped American perspective or have I missed something?

#310 2018-05-22 16:03:06

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

michaelkpate wrote #311981:

requiring social media companies to remove any hate speech within 24 hours after their notification of its posting

Welcome to overt censorship. And we all saw how that worked out in the 1930s. One man’s hate speech is another’s freedom call. Jeez, perhaps it’ll soon be jail time for anyone who claims Trump is indistinguishable from a cheesy puff. That’s hate speech right there innit?

Thing is, you start limiting what people can post, the platform usage will shrink as people will go back to running their own tech and blogging or go decentralized. Cycles. Cycles.

Last edited by Bloke (2018-05-22 16:05:22)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#311 2018-05-22 16:21:59

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Bloke wrote #311982:

Welcome to overt censorship.

I miss the days when western governments were trying to stop to help people get around censorship, not coming up with new ways to do it. From 2003:

The news and propaganda wing behind the U.S. government’s Voice of America broadcasts has commissioned software that lets Chinese Web surfers sneak around the boundaries set by their government. – Software rams great firewall of China

Of course, I wasn’t impressed with Techmeme either when they used this headline “German law requiring social media companies to take down hate speech within 24 hours prompts far right claims of lack of clarity, chilled speech, and censorship” for this Atlantic article, Germany’s Attempt to Fix Facebook Is Backfiring, implying that anyone who care about Free Speech is an Actual Nazi.

#312 2018-05-22 17:31:34

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

I think that the ideas about free speech have been abducted by the alt-wotsits and stripped from whatever good intentions these ideas stood for. There is a difference between hate speech, such as racism, mysogynism, gay-bashing, etc, and speaking politics. Unfortunately, recently, there seems to be a confusion about the fundamental differences between the two but it seems that the news are publishing much more about hate speech as an inseparable ingredient of free/political speech. This indicates, in my view, a shift from what is acceptable to discuss in public, a shift away from social ethics which have now been replaced by a misdirected/misguided social morality about the so called importance of ethnicity or sex-habits. Scaringly, for me, this comes with public consensus.

The current problems (and yesterday’s resignation) in UK’s Labour party stand as proof of this situation.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

Board footer