Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2018-05-11 06:37:38

Destry
Website

Medium pivots, again

Glad I’m not a publisher on Medium, or on Medium at all anymore.

I suspect it will nosedive within 2 years or be desparately sold to one of the tech giants with some nonsense about ‘exciting news’, as they always say when acquisitions happen.

Medium abruptly cancels publisher membership program

And this article about Google and news, based on an interview with Gargle’s news chief about something they’ve working on for 7 years…

Rethink journalism

Looks to me like Gaggle is late to the game Facebook already owned and is now suffering for. Anything Gurgle is trying to pitch at this point is just another flavour of the same tech giant poison, undoubtedly.

Decentralize! De-google!

Let the self-hosted re-revolution commence!

#2 2018-05-11 16:59:41

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Re: Medium pivots, again

“this is the FOURTH time medium has staked a round of new publications on its platform and killed them in a year or less” – Casey Johnston

I remember when Pyra Labs launched Blogger only to watch it crash and burn, layoff all their employees, and run the site out of Ev’s apartment. Then things turned around slightly and eventually Blogger was acquired by Google. Then Ev left Blogger to launch the podcasting platform Odeo, which also crashed and burn. But their side project, Twitter… while it crashed over and over again, is still burning. Medium was Ev’s third try.

This was written in 2014 but it is remarkably evergreen.

I began to think of Ev Williams like Willy Wonka, and the Collection Editors as the golden ticket “winners” in his chocolate factory. We couldn’t anticipate what was coming next. We just had to make it through one obstacle after the other and stay alive. – LadyBits’ First and Last Year on Medium
So long, folks. It’s been real.

Board footer