Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2018-05-10 14:06:30

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Feedback to: Textpattern CMS 4.7.0 Release Candidate 1 released

Please provide any feedback here related to Textpattern 4.7.0 Release Candidate 1 released.

We appreciate all feedback. Please check this opening post and the Issue queue before raising a problem. We will endeavour to list all fixes that have been applied below, but sometimes it’s not possible to capture everything in a timely fashion. Thanks.

Changes since third beta

• Include new translations – thank you once again to all translators for keeping pace.
  • Add preamble to Languages panel regarding translations.
  • GDPR compliance:
    • <txp:comment_remember> now forgets for good (destroys cookie) and defaults to ‘off’.
    • No collection of IP when a user leaves a comment.
    • No logging of IP/host and no reverse DNS lookups. General hit logging capability still retained, just without Personally Identifiable Information being collected (thanks, Destry et al).
  • Logs panel operates via AJAX.
  • Fix upgrades from 4.5.x. It’s even possible to jump from 4.2.0 directly, although it’s safer to do it in two or more hops with 4.2.0 and 4.5.7 as the stepping stones (thanks, gaekwad and phiw13).
  • Improve article sort values for complex conditions.
  • More consistent link to next/previous.
  • Using the shorthand status in <txp:article> tags assumes any published status (live/sticky currently).
  • Permit any file type to be handled from the Styles panel (js, svg, txt, …) if the hidden assets_mimetypes pref is set with a list of supported file extensions (thanks, colak).
  • Public theme tweaks to include Facebook OpenGraph and JSON-LD metadata (thanks, gaekwad).
  • Fix multiple notifications being trashed by newer ones when doing a series of file-based actions (thanks, gaekwad).
  • Visual tweaks such as higher contrast ratios and visual weight to improve readability.
  • Fix some GIF uploads (such as animated GIFs) throwing warnings if the transparent colors were out of range.
  • Remove ‘Copy’ link from articles panel for now as it’s not so pretty. Copy capability retained via URL manipulation (e.g. so plugins can step in).
  • Permit pophelp on link headings – reinstate the pophelp on the Custom Fields group (thanks, gaekwad).

#2 2018-05-10 16:16:32

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Re: Feedback to: Textpattern CMS 4.7.0 Release Candidate 1 released

I’d like to be the first to say I’m really liking the state and pace of Textpattern development and evolution right now. It’s a great time to be involved.

#3 2018-05-10 16:29:14

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

gaekwad wrote #311675:

I’m really liking the state and pace of Textpattern development and evolution right now.

Me too. Collaborative, open coding is way more fun than keeping it locked to a few individuals.

I’d also like to extend my gratitude to everyone who helps make our nimble and capable little CMS/web app feel big. From play testers, bug reporters, privacy advocates, documentators(!), infrastructure hosters, forum moderators, translators, coders, designers, patch submitters, plugin authors… all the way to anyone for whom Textpattern enables a site to exist. You’re all grand and we wouldn’t have made it this far without you. Thank you.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#4 2018-05-10 19:22:58

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

I decided to redo patetech.info last week to eliminate some of the weird little errors that cropped up after 14 years. I just did the update there and everything looks good.

Textpattern version: 4.7.0-rc.1 (22f3479f5291ad9be2059eff01310ad3)
PHP version: 7.2.5
MySQL: 5.6.34-log (Source distribution)
Web server: Apache

#5 2018-05-10 20:04:29

giz
Website

Thank you all; TXP 4.7 fits my workflow like a glove :)

Thanks to Themes & etc_flat I no longer have to sandbox whatever I’m working on, a huge help. The number of plugins I use (and the amount of code I write) has reduced considerably – its fun to use.

I’m looking forward to trying the new css panel functionality with a clutch of svgs – another win.

Roll on better image management ;-)

#6 2018-05-11 04:41:54

Pat64
Plugin Author
GitHub Twitter

We will never know how to thank you, devs!

From this release informations:

Permit any file type to be handled from the Styles panel (js, svg, txt, …) if the hidden assets_mimetypes pref is set with a list of supported file extensions (thanks, colak).

Please, could you explain where to find and how to enable this new feature?

Thanks lot, again,

Patrick.

Github | CodePen | Codier | Simplr theme | Wait Me: a maintenance theme | [\a mi.ni.ma]: a “Low Tech” simple Blog theme.

#7 2018-05-11 05:33:17

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Pat64 wrote #311683:

We will never know how to thank you, devs!

Please, could you explain where to find and how to enable this new feature?

Thanks lot, again,

Hi Patrick

I will be testing the rc1 this weekend but on beta3 it was a ‘hidden’ feature. You can copy paste a mime type in the css and give it a name with its extension. ie my_svg.svg, jquery.js, etc. On export the theme to the disk, those files are saved in the theme’s folder properly.

There were plans to change the name of the css panel to assets so as to reflect this change, but as this would actually break a number of plugins and it would have a chain reaction in the core code, it was decided that the functionality would be released now, and the semantics will be taken care of in the next release.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#8 2018-05-11 06:15:47

Pat64
Plugin Author
GitHub Twitter

Hi Yiannis ;)

I tried this new Oleg’s feature within the beta 3, too. May be the explanation isn’t well written: it’s just an ability to read file extensions and serve such proper mine types (and not an hidden settings into the website “Preferences”).

Patrick.

Github | CodePen | Codier | Simplr theme | Wait Me: a maintenance theme | [\a mi.ni.ma]: a “Low Tech” simple Blog theme.

#9 2018-05-11 07:52:59

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

In beta this feature was hard-coded, but we have decided not (yet) to enable it by default in the final release. Whence the need for a plugin that activates it via a hidden pref.

#10 2018-05-11 09:47:36

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

etc wrote #311689:

In beta this feature was hard-coded, but we have decided not (yet) to enable it by default in the final release. Whence the need for a plugin that activates it via a hidden pref.

So it is different to what I tested… The problem now is the plugin then…

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#11 2018-05-11 10:37:46

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

colak wrote #311692:

So it is different to what I tested… The problem now is the plugin then…

Hi Yiannis, it’s not really different, just not enabled by default to avoid surprises. The plugin just injects a pref with file extensions/mimetypes (js etc). You can even add or remove some extensions by editing its code.

Few other hidden “virtual” preferences are tweakable via the plugin code. If you have smd_prefalyzer installed, you can even create the corresponding “real” ones without installing etc_eastern_eggs.

#12 2018-05-11 20:47:00

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

I just had an interesting experience upgrading a site. I think it was running 4.5.7 but I didn’t think to check.

I went to log in and:

bc..

Notice “Undefined index: filename”
in /home/c6uphucr/thirdsuperpower.com/textpattern/vendors/Textpattern/L10n/Lang.php at line 287.
textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php:1715 adminErrorHandler()
textpattern/vendors/Textpattern/L10n/Lang.php:287 updateErrorHandler()
textpattern/update/_to_4.7.0.php:64 Textpattern\L10n\Lang->available()
textpattern/update/_update.php:91 include()
textpattern/index.php:214 include()
Notice “Undefined index: filename”
in /home/c6uphucr/thirdsuperpower.com/textpattern/vendors/Textpattern/L10n/Lang.php at line 287.
textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php:1715 adminErrorHandler()
textpattern/vendors/Textpattern/L10n/Lang.php:287 updateErrorHandler()
textpattern/update/_update.php:114 Textpattern\L10n\Lang->available()
textpattern/index.php:214 include()

Fatal error: Uncaught Exception: update failed in /home/c6uphucr/thirdsuperpower.com/textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php:1719 Stack trace: #0 /home/c6uphucr/thirdsuperpower.com/textpattern/vendors/Textpattern/L10n/Lang.php(287): updateErrorHandler(8, ‘Undefined index…’, ‘/home/c6uphucr/…’, 287, Array) #1 /home/c6uphucr/thirdsuperpower.com/textpattern/update/_update.php(114): Textpattern\L10n\Lang->available(3, 7) #2 /home/c6uphucr/thirdsuperpower.com/textpattern/index.php(214): include(‘/home/c6uphucr/…’) #3 {main} thrown in /home/c6uphucr/thirdsuperpower.com/textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php on line 1719

Fortunately, when I reloaded the page and everything returned to normal.

Board footer