Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2018-04-28 08:48:55

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Re: eTags, pixel tags, beacons, etc

Destry wrote #311495:

Is there a way to easily see what headers a server passes back? Is that what servers logs are about then?

The developer tools in your browser of choice will help with checking which headers the browser is receiving / the server is sending.

For example, in Safari, click the resources tab, select the file name, then open the right-hand sidebar (icon looks like an open door). You need to reload the page though. In Firefox it is under the Network tab of the developer tools (icon to open that side bar looks like a left-pointing arrow). In Chromium based browsers it is… hmm somewhere. Being a Gaagle developed product, I very rarely use that thing.

(server logs have very little to do with headers)

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#14 2018-04-28 09:04:08

Destry
Website

Awesome. Thanks, Phi!

#15 2018-04-28 16:11:29

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

jakob wrote #311492:

Hmm, you took the cynical shortcut there. That’s the stuff of fake news headlines. And you’re usually so diligent in your reporting :-/

If you really want to practice safe surfing, I would recommend doing what I’ve helped people do for 20 years now: Go to your nearest library that offers computers with Internet access and surf the Internet from there. You will be practically untraceable and you can have the browser delete all your Internet history when you are done.

Anything else is, to borrow a phrase from Bruce Schneier, just Privacy Theater.

#16 2018-04-28 16:46:33

Destry
Website

Before this thread spins off into another tangent on incarceration and the first amendment, let me just refocus the convo as it concerned the thread starter:

I want to understand how I might indirectly be using these things, and, if unavoidable by tech I might use, how to account for it in legal notes.

And I’ll add, specifically for purposes of a business site.

Beyond that it’s choices, habits, awareness (and lack of), risks… Definitive nothing. You could not use the internet at all, throw all tech into the sea, and street cameras will still track and record your faces. Profiles will still be built on your credit purchases, etc. Aside from living in the mountains with grizzlies — and even there satellites can spot you — there’s always going to be something. It’s just a question of how much effort you want to to make to reduce the likelihood, which can be done and is an admirable goal more people should undertake. But… it’s not the point of this thread.

<mod::hat status="off" />

Board footer