Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#169 2018-04-23 22:04:51

Destry
Website

Re: Txp cookies, visitor logging, and GDPR stuff in general

Anyway, getting back to persanal data and privacy, here’s another reason to quit tech platforms. Being forced to use biometrics to sign in.

#170 2018-04-24 03:02:06

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Destry wrote #311342:

Anyway, getting back to persanal data and privacy, here’s another reason to quit tech platforms. Being forced to use biometrics to sign in.

Sneakers (1992): My Voice Is My Passport

#171 2018-04-24 03:12:59

bici
Website Mastodon

michaelkpate wrote #311347:

Sneakers (1992): My Voice Is My Passport

forced to use biometrics to sign in:

Just say NO!

…. texted postive

#172 2018-04-24 09:04:50

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

The prevalence of thumbprint readers on phones and laptops is a trend to which I am vehemently opposed. Any kind of biometrics is a terrible identity verification system for one simple reason that I drum into everyone who raises it:

Your biometric identity cannot be changed if it’s compromised. A password can.

My passwords are in my head. Nobody can get at them without brute force. I leave my biometric password – thumbprint – on thousands of things every day in my home and public spaces. That’s thousands of opportunities to take my entry system. Payment/ATM keypads. Door handles. Supermarket trolleys. Elevator call buttons. All it takes is someone to lift one of those opportunities and I’m sunk.

If big tech have their way and eradicate passwords, we each have one access method to all services, sites, everything. That’s the same as having the same password for every service – which is something they tell us now is incredibly poor security. So they say never to use the same password twice in one breath, and then push tech on us that is the polar opposite. Something doesn’t smell right.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#173 2018-04-24 13:43:24

Destry
Website

Apparently Facebook is now sending emails to accept new terms in order to continue using Facebook after May 25.

Seems like so many of these tech giants are just mass coercing consent through ToS updates like this.

And I just got a mail from Yahoo/Flickr, which I killed the account for months ago, about SmugMug buying Flickr. Talking to me as if I’m some avid Flickr user and can look forward to the “exciting changes”.

And I’m sure LinkedIn will not respect my checkbox indication to forget me. I’ll still get emails from them, as others here have said they get.

None of this is what the EC had in mind. I hope these big companies get nailed with lawsuits.

#174 2018-04-24 13:55:06

Destry
Website

I was proposing earlier that we share links of privacy policies out there that are trying to abide by the GDPR, just to have a look at them.

Here’s a policy page I happened upon today from a non-profit in Belgium that deals with data privacy and security matters.

The tone is curious. A little overzealous. Could use some business smoothing, maybe. But it seems they’re thinking about specifics as it concerns the data they collect and the related tech.

The cookie opt-in thing at top of screen for Twitter, etc… I’m seeing more and more of those personalization boxes.

#175 2018-04-24 17:13:29

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Bloke wrote #311355:

Something doesn’t smell right.

I so much agree with you!!!

Here’s one talk we presented in 2013, the first 10 minutes of which, is discussing the history, racism and inaccuracy of biometric data.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#176 2018-04-25 09:24:49

planeth
Plugin Author
Website

Destry wrote #311378:

I was proposing earlier that we share links of privacy policies out there that are trying to abide by the GDPR, just to have a look at them.

FYI I maintain a database of “GDPR friendly” providers. It’s here
I update it almost daily. If you want me to add some that you know, there is a GG spreadsheet (using GG …not good. At least, it’s not personal data;)

#177 2018-04-25 09:47:50

Destry
Website

planeth wrote #311395:

FYI I maintain a database of “GDPR friendly” providers. It’s here … I update it almost daily.

Nice! Thanks for sharing.

I wonder if, after May 25, the assumption will be all companies are ‘GDPR friendly’ and the question becomes — Which companies are not?

I think that would be a very useful database at that point, like you have but an alternative perspective, which then really puts scrutiny on those companies. Maybe with the addition of a column for saying why a company is dubiously compliant.

Let’s help get some lawsuits started! ;)

#178 2018-04-25 09:53:27

planeth
Plugin Author
Website

Ah yes :))
Anyway, there is a very little chance of the majority of companies being GDPR friendly. Not even talking about being at least 50% compliant.
So, first let’s help those who made the effort and are privacy aware.

Regarding lawsuits, I know that privacy activists are more than ready to fire up Data Subject Access Request on May 25. Let’s them be on the front line.
For my part, I much prefer to be the one who helps the others in their GDPR endeavor :)

#179 2018-04-25 10:13:14

Destry
Website

More wonderfulness from Gargle…

G says ‘fcuk your privacy’

That part about collecting car data too, that’s a little annoying.

I am done with Gurgle. I want nothing to do with it on an account basis, or any basis really. I will hasten my removal from it’s meat hooks in every possible way.

Anyone else just plain sick of saying these brand names too, having them splashed everywhere in front of your eyeballs and running through your brain? It’s like forcing ludes into one’s mouth to keep ‘em sedated and enslaved.

#180 2018-04-25 10:30:21

Destry
Website

planeth wrote #311397:

Regarding lawsuits, I know that privacy activists are more than ready to fire up Data Subject Access Request on May 25. Let’s them be on the front line.

For my part, I much prefer to be the one who helps the others in their GDPR endeavor :)

Yes, it is a prudent path.

Here’s a sincere suggestion, though… In your database, you have the link columns:

• Privacy notice
  • Data processing agreement

Using Slack as example, they have a specific link for GDPR compliance. I suspect other orgs might have separate links for that too. Another column for specific GDPR links would be useful, maybe, to facilitate finding and accessing the relevant bits:

• Privacy policy
  • GDPR compliance
  • Data processing agreement

Just a thought.

I don’t see any of these companies using the suggested term “Code of Conduct” either, as the GDPR outlines, but I suspect we’ll see that emerge more with time, and that would be a good column header too.

Board footer