Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2018-03-21 10:33:25

NicolasGraph
Plugin Author
Website

Create a GitHub organization for your Textpattern plugins

I’m considering to create an organization to group my Textpattern plugins and I was wondering if it wouldn’t be a good idea to do that in a consistent naming convention making it easy to browse an author’s plugin list on GitHub. It seems that Oleg, aka etc, aka bloatware, already uses an organization named etc-plugins (underscores are not allowed in names). The use of the plugin author prefix seems obvious, then I think we could mention Textpattern in a way or another, and optionally keep plugins. In my mind abc-textpattern would be clear and easy to remember. Then you could change abc in the GitHub URL to see a plugin list from a different author. What do you think?

Last edited by NicolasGraph (2018-03-21 10:37:52)

Nicolas
Follow me on Twitter and GitHub!
Multiple edits are usually to correct my frenglish…

#2 2018-03-21 11:07:12

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Re: Create a GitHub organization for your Textpattern plugins

Makes sense. I can probably change the etc-plugins to whatever name pattern you feel is best.

The plugins site I’m writing relies on GraphQL to dynamically pull in info if your plugin is available on GitHub (and hopefully Bitbucket/other destinations if their APIs allow). The organisation would not be essential for the plugins site to but I could harness if available.

#3 2018-03-21 13:00:43

NicolasGraph
Plugin Author
Website

Now, should we use a global name such as abc-textpattern or use something like abc-textpattern-plugins (could be abc-txp-plugins) to separate it from abc-textpattern-themes?
In my opinion, we already have tags to select plugins or themes only, thus abc-textpattern seems good enough to just group an author’s work related to txp.

Nicolas

#4 2018-03-21 13:49:39

NicolasGraph
Plugin Author
Website

I just created the oui-textpattern organization. Let he who loves me follow me! ?

Nicolas

#5 2018-04-21 21:36:13

jakob
Admin
Website

May I ask what is the advantage of making an organisation for one’s textpattern plugins? That’s meant as an honest question: Is it notionally like a ‘folder’ to distinguish textpattern plugins from other personal repos?
I would understand that as an organisational paradigm for plugin authors with many plugins of their own as well as other projects they do. I’ve taken a few essential plugins under my wing that I can’t really do without, but I feel it would be wrong to put them out as ‘my own organisation’ because they are not originally my own work.

Another thought / question in a similar vein: Is there maybe a way of using GitHub to collect together public updates of abandoned/no longer maintained but still commonly used plugins without having to adopt them?
There are many more plugins that just need a few tweaks here and there but still essentially work just fine. Sometimes it’s just a matter of adding the tag registry, sometimes converting mysql to mysqli, updating the help or replacing author links that have since gone, adding/converting textpacks etc. I sometimes do that when I need an old plugin and would be glad to add those to some kind of communal plugin store but I wouldn’t want – or have time – to become the new maintainer.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#6 2018-04-22 13:55:25

jakob
Admin
Website

Ah, I see I’m pretty late to the game with this idea. There have been several threads in the past:

Lots of great thoughts on the first post. The 2nd, 3rd and 4th are good but more like curated lists. The last one – Pete’s repo – looks good but is not used much yet. My initial thought on looking at it, is that a) it’s a little exhaustive making keeping it update rather labour intensive (maybe we don’t ned quite so much information or past versions) and b) lots of different plugins in one repo making it harder to fork an existing plugin, repair it, and then place it in a common pool. Are there particular reasons why they are pooled in one repo rather than many individual ones.

I know Phil mentioned automagically collating a plugin directory from plugin details on Github, but there are plenty of authors whose creations are not on GitHub (e.g. Ruud, Adi to name just two). Maybe there’s a case for two things: A Github directory that where necessary points to the respective plugin source when not on Github and an orphanage for still useful but now orphaned plugins…

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#7 2018-04-23 15:53:21

NicolasGraph
Plugin Author
Website

jakob wrote #311297:

Is it notionally like a ‘folder’ to distinguish textpattern plugins from other personal repos?
I would understand that as an organisational paradigm for plugin authors with many plugins of their own as well as other projects they do.

Yes, that is simply how/why I’m using my organization for now. it keeps my plugins in a tidy place, for me, and Textpattern users.

Last edited by NicolasGraph (2018-04-24 06:51:47)

Nicolas

Board footer